Maternal & Child Community
How much should my 11 month old eat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How much should my 11 month old eat

Ok, Gain is 11 month old today, yeah.  However, he only weights 17+ lbs.  Right now he takes between 18-24 oz of formula, rice cereal for breakfast, 2 snacks and lunch at daycare and dinner and a snak at home.  How do I fatten him up?
I am not big but I was a lot chubbier than that when I was a baby.  I am 5'4: and 105 lbs and DH is 5'9' and 185 lbs.  I am so stressed because it seems like I am always feeding him but he just can't gain much weight.
Please help
Hi!
I know your situation oh to well...My boy is 11 months @ the end of the month and only weighs 19.something lbs.....I am freakin out because people think I don't feed him enough....BUt he has a poor appetite....I try and try everything....This we was hell cause he has been sick so it;s been even worse...When I feed him at times he gags on me and has thrown up as well.....I am sooo desperate....I am going back to work in 1 month and keep wondering what will happen.....someone Help Us!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't worry to much about it. I have 2 kids and neither of them were 20lbs when they hit a year. I think they were both around 18lbs at a year and they ate quite well. They just have fast metabolisms. As long as he is getting the nutrients he needs and is eatting well, at least most of the time. (As I'm sure you've experienced kids go thru eatting spirts, determined by growth spurts and getting teeth, etc.) And my kids are fine, perfectly healthy. They are 3 1/2 and 21 months. Besides if your son is walking and or crawling he will more then likely weigh less because he's more active. My oldest started walking at 10 months and my youngest began crawling at 7months. Both very active kids. Plus we both are from families with good metabolisms. I went thru the same worries but every baby is different. As long as your doctor isn't concerned I don't think you should be either.
I have an 11 month old infant and  I am panicking too. I will be going back to work next week and I will put him in daycare. I am worried, frustrated and stressed-out in feeding my son. He is only 17lbs and very hard to feed. Feeding time is drama time for us. Please help, give me some advice.
He sounds perfectly normal to me! Both of my girls were that weight at that age.  As long as his height/weight are proportionate and his dr isnt worried, then he's fine.  Some babies arent chubby babies.  You dont want him to overeat and cause problems later on with obeseity!  My son is 8 months old and weighs 23lbs!!!!  But his height and weight are proportionate (he's almost 30 inches long).  He's just gonna be tall like the men in my family (who are all over 6'2),,,You are small and your husband is normal sized.  As long as he's happy and healthy (and like I said) the dr is fine with it, then enjoy him.....Good Luck!
Vanessa
I think what you are feeding him is fine.  It seems like he is eating enough and you wouldnt want to just start giving him fattening things.  He probably just metabolizes quickly.  
You don't need to worry about fattening your son up. When my son was 1 he only weighed 15 pounds. I swear he ate more food than I did, but he would not gain weight. Some kids/ people just have faster metabolisms. Don't worry about the fact that he is skinny- at least he is not obese like a lot of kids and babies we see now a days.
my son is the same way he just turned 11 months and hes only 16lbs im scared for him i feed him and feed him he still wont gain anything he crawls everywhere seems fine but the doc says hes too under weight what should i do?...
My daughter is 13 months old and I was like you very very worried. Is your son teething? Because my daughter basically REFUSED to eat anything when she was teething and she was sooooooo active and still is. Our paediatrician put me at ease when he told me that she is just really active but healthy, if she wasn't active she wouldn't be (i.e. she isn't anaemic). I am thin and small and my husband is very tall but larger, so she is tall like Dad and thin like Mum. Now Medina eats very well and weighs over 20 lbs (9.5 kgs) but is still very active. Keep on getting his weighed checked up. As long as he is eating adn appears active and developing normally then everythig is fine.

P.S. I have only accepted that my daughter is thin and extremely active, that's the way it is and I love having an active baby, makes life fun :-)

Shouldn't be worried too much everything sounds fine. If the consistency of the food is too thick or thicker than usual and your lil one isn't used to it then that can make them gag and be sick or just put them off that food and will refuse to eat it. My 11month old only normally eats a small bowl of Porridge for breakfast and a toast solider then for her dinner it's normally only a small jar of the cow and gate food because she sometimes gags at the thicker foods even though she eats and enjoys ALOT of solid foods and finger foods so i didn't understand why. but i found if you carry on feeding them that food but leave it a couple of days then they may eat it fine because it was just a new taste to them so they refused it at first. And as a few of them of already said if your baby is really active and runs, crawls around etc. then they could be eating loads but not put any weight on and either start loosing it or the wieught is simply not moving cuz the baby is burning off with all that excersie :) shouldn't worry but just get him checked over by midwife and see what they think x