Maternal & Child Community
How often and when did you have an Ultrasound ????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Just wondering how often you all have had ultrasounds and at which point in your pregnancy?

I have had one at every single appointment which was great in the beginning when I was nervous about something happening!  The last one was a 3d ultrasound and was sooooo cool!  Anyways, I feel better and more secure in the pregnancy, now that I am starting to show (ok, I dont look pregnant, just fat!  like i ate too much at christmas!) and I read that although ultrasounds are not harmful to the baby, they are not good becaue they annoy the baby.  

I am 15w5d now and will have another one next week (when we should also find out the sex of the baby)... but after that I am not sure if I should continue having them or not...

Just curious how often you all have had ultrasounds
I will have one at 10wks just to confirm pregnancy and get a suggested due date since I wasn't technically supposed to be able to get pregnant without lots of help...LOL...

Then I will have one around 20wks to check growth and gender (if i chose to know) and that's it..

My MW only suggests those 2 unless it's a higher risk pregnancy or the patient is older than 35 (at the MD's in the practice request..)..

I would love to have more...teehee..

We will prolly do a 4D U/S closer to the end like we did last time....about 32wks or so...
i am 17 weeks and i have had three so far, we have a level 2 scheduled for next week also.

i am considered high risk because i am having twins - my doctor uses the u/s to see the heartbeats because she has a hard time with the doppler determining which heartbeart belongs to who :)

it depends on your insurance too though, my insurance only covers 2 for a "normal" pregnany...
when did you discover you were having twins? At what u/s
I had an u/s at 6 weeks, then 10 weeks, then not until 20 weeks.  At the 20 week u/s I was found to have placenta previa.  So then they gave me a u/s at every visit until that resolved (no more previa).  I doubt they'll give me another one now until I am about to burst.  So my guess is that in a typical pregnancy with no complications there would be about 4.  That is consistent with most of my friends.
I believe it's all dependent on your doctor and insurance. I was told that typically we're only supposed to get 1...between 16 and 22 weeks. I've had one at 10 weeks for dating, one at 19 weeks (the big ultrasound), one at 21 weeks because they thought there might be problems with his heart, and i'm getting another one at the end of the month because at the last one they found a dilated kidney (thankfully he's healthy otherwise!)
i'm almost 9 wks and have had 3 so far. at 5 1/2 (saw the yolk sac and fetal pole), at 6 1/2 (saw HB) and at 8 1/2.  my dr does them himself at each visit in the beginning of the pregnancy to make sure everything is going ok. last one was 2 days ago, and my next one is on the 29th (3 wks after the last one). i love this, and most people i talk to have never heard of anyone having so many. i am not high-risk, but my dr happens to be high-risk. maybe that's why he does so many.
I had one at 5 1/2 weeks due to concerning cramps, another at 19 weeks to determine the gender, and one more at 32 weeks to check the size and position of baby.  I don't expect to get anymore, but you never know... :)
I'm high risk, so they've done one at 5 1/2 weeks, 6 1/2 weeks, I'm scheduled for another at 8 1/2 weeks... then from there I'm sure there will be more because of my high risk conditions.
we found out at our 5 week ultrasound, there were two visible sacs.
Next week I will be in my 17th week and on Wednesday I will have my 5th ultrasound.  (I had one at all my routine checkups in the 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th weeks and probably will get one every 4 weeks until the birth if I wanted... it is just routinely done)

I am living overseas right now and I have a few american friends in the US who told me that they had only 1 or 2 ultrasounds max.  Where I live now, 3 ultrasounds are done at 10, 20 and 30 weeks unless you have insurance that pays more.  My insurance is the type that pretty much would pay for one at every single visit and of course, since the dr. gets money for them, they perform them every month without asking!

Then, like I said, I read that the ultrasounds can be irritating  to babies and wasnt sure what to do.  Both my DH and I love getting the ultrasounds, especially the 3D ones, cause it calmed any worries and made the bond with the baby even more at a time that we cant yet see much and dont feel any kicking yet .... but I dont want to risk anything or severely irritate the baby with the ultrasounds!  

We will definately have the one next week because that is also when we find out the sex... Plus I would feel better getting to see the baby again cause in the past month, I have flown to the US and back and had travel stress, and was in a small car accident and had a major allergy attack over the holidays and had to take medicine several days... so I want the confirmation that everything looks good still...  Hopefully after I can feel the baby finally, I wont need this kind of confirmation :)

sorry if I am babbling... :)

I am 35 weeks and i have only had one ultrasound done because the doctor i have , i keep asking for an ultrasound and they keep telling me not until your 36 weeks but i think i should of had more than just one they didnt tell me how the baby mesured or what it looked like all they told me is that it looked to be a girl and send me on my way. what should I do? i weighed 130 before i got pregnant and now i weigh almost 200 pounds and the doctor wont send me for an ultrasound what is up with this whole situation? someone please respond back to me!!!
Shay- they usually do about 1 u/s. Some will do them early on to make sure baby is implanted okay, but then they usually get a heartbeat.  After the big 20 week u/s I was told there was no need for more unless there was an issue.  I did get a couple with my first from 36 weeks on when he turned breech at the end.  With my second after the 20 week u/s that was it.  Some Dr.'s don't size the baby at the end as it can be way off.  They were off by over 2 lbs. on their prediction with Carson when they turned him in the hospital- so I wouldn't rely on that anyway.  Let your Dr. know your concerns though, it may be that your insurance only covers the necessary u/s.  As for the weight gain, I would think they would talk to you about it as it is a bit more than they usually recommend, but each Dr. will be different.  Mine watched weight like a hawk.
nah there wrong your 1st is 10weeks then second is 12weeks
then last is around 20weeks

thats what i got told
then last is around 20weeks

thats what i got told
here you only get 3 ultrasounds only