Maternal & Child Community
How soon can I expect my period after my hcg drops to zero

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am new here.  I had surgery on 6/27 for an ectopic pregnancy.  The day of the surgery my hcg was 11,500.  The day after the surgery, it dropped to 3700, which was excellent.  I just had the first follow-up hcg yesterday and it went all the way down to 83.  The next follow-up is next week.  Once it falls to zero, how fast can I expect my first menstrual cycle?  I can't TTC for a few months, so that's not a problem, but I would love to get an idea from real people who have been there.  I know everyone is different, so I would love some answers from a bunch of people if possible to get a good idea of what I am looking at.  The docs say it can take up to 6-8 weeks from the date of surgery.  Thanks for your help.
After my m/c and d&c in April, my first AF didnt show up until 5 1/2 weeks later.. your doc is right, anywhere from 4-6 weeks is normal....Some docs also state that anywhere from 4-12weeks is considered normal as well so hang in there. Good luck to you and sorry to hear of your loss.

Machelle'
Thanks for your help!
Hey!  Machelle and I are practically in the same exact boat.  She and I both miscarried in April and had a d & c within a  couple of days of each other.  We BOTH had our first cycle on the same exact day as a matter of fact. (5 1/2 weeks after the d & c.)  Everything is pretty back to normal with me which is pretty nice, now it's just back to square one again.  Good luck to you, let us know how you're doing from time to time.
I was treated with methotrexate for a suspected ectopic in early June (it turned out not to be one but that is a whole other story...).  Anyway, my HCG went down to zero within about a week.  I am fairly sure that I ovulated within 10-14 days of that (weirdly enough I had symptoms of ovulation for about 5 days).  Basically, my body treated the miscarriage like a period an I ovulated nearly on schedule two-ish weeks after my HCG was zero.
Thanks so much for the feedback.  Everyone seems very nice on this forum.
Please everyone, send your wishes this way that my HCG begins to drop - otherwise, I don't know what to do!!!  I have experienced either a miscarriage or an ectopic that was miscarried all on its own (docs aren't sure yet) but my HCG continues to very slowly rise... I would just LOVE it if it started dropping, b/c I want this whole thing to be OVER with - enough of the agony... this all started when I was 5 weeks along, and now I'm almost 9 weeks along... this is getting crazy!!  Anyway, just wanted people to keep their fingers crossed for me...thx!
Well, it turns out that I am ovulating today which means that my first period shouldn't be far behind.
Did you ever ask your doctor about methotrexate?  It's definitely kind of nasty stuff and I am totally an herbal tea drinking, organic vegetable eating sort who usually resists that kind of thing.  I consented because my doc said I had an ectopic and scared the **** out of me.  It ended up that she was wrong, but I found that out much later. However, the methotrexate literally dropped my HCG to zero in about 8 days and my body is really pretty normal at this point.  My only side effects were some nausea.  Also, did they check to see if you have an ectopic that is somewhere besides your fallopian tubes?  I'm so sorry that you are still dealing with this so many weeks after it began, I can only imagine how anxious and unsettled you must feel.  Good luck and take care.  Annie
My hcg never did drop, it just kept slowly rising and then out of the blue, I started to m/c.  I believe he bulk of it was yesterday, however I had heavy bleeding for about 1 week leading up to it.  According to my LMP I was at around just under 8 weeks.  I had an u/s at 6.5 and it showed that the sac was at about 4 -4.5 weeks.  So we are guessing that is when it stopped developing and it took that long for my body to finally decide it was time to let go.  I know how you feel though, it is pure agony not knowing what is going on.  Try to keep your mind busy, that is working for me.  Hopefully that will work for you. I wish I could offer better advice, but I couldn't find anything better than that, it didn't help 100%, but it does help a little.
The doctor did talk a bit about methotrexate, but said he wouldn't want to do that just yet - they still want to 'wait and see' - I guess because the HCG is so low, it's not at a point where it's harming me or threatening my life, etc... I just want things back to normal.  Basically, my HCG at last count was less than 300, and my next test is sometime next week.  I think that if the HCG is not on its way down, and is still climbing slowly, they will think about drugs or something like that.  The reason they're cautious to do anything is that they can't find 'any physical evidence of pregnancy' i.e. there is nothing they can see at all in the U/S, so that's why they can't operate, etc... I also think they're hesitant to give the drug b/c they can't see where it is or what it's doing... they're sort of baffled by me.  I'm a case for the textbooks, for sure!!  But I haven't bled in almost two weeks, and no more pain (however, the HCG levels that showed an increase were AFTER I stopped bleeding and had pain).  I figured that after bleeding and having pain for 3 weeks straight, the levels would go down - but no, they defy all logic and continue to go up... who knows what's going on??  My hubby and I just want the emotional closure to it... until it's back down to zero, we are just in limbo... *sigh*
This is specifically meant for Siren. I am also in question about what's going on with me right now and my dr. isn't sure either. Waiting for another hCG level result. My story is long and won't explain it all right now, but wondered if you had gotten any answers. I have joked with my husband that I am a textbook case and thought it was funny that you had said that as well. At this point I don't know if I'm still pregnant, have miscarried, or have an ectopic. U/S yesterday showed nothing. HCG levels aren't where expected for where they think I am (LMP 5/31/03). Friday they were 42 and Monday up to 117. Low, but increasing. Will find out todays test results tomorrow. Any ideas or sugestions from anyone?? I found this sight by chance and found it helpful to hear others' concerns because I have been on a rollercoaster. One day news is good, but not so promising the next.
To Kim22 -

I am happy to hear I'm not the only one going through this, but of course I can sympathize with your situation and the pain you are going through.  I still do not have any answers.  The last time I saw the specialist was 2 weeks ago, and he told me to wait 2 weeks until I got another blood test.  So I did the test today and should have results tomorrow.  I just have this nagging feeling that the numbers have gone up, since I have defied all logic thus far!  I don't know what they'll do then... Interesting thing, though... my HCG continued to go up even AFTER I stopped having bleeding and pain... but they said they could not find 'any physical evidence of pregnancy'.  I thought it was all over, but two days ago, I began bleeding again.  No major pain or anything, but definitely heavier than a period.  I thought to myself, maybe this is my period, returning to normal... but, from what I've heard, it takes 4 to 8 weeks to get a period after a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy... this has been only two weeks since I stopped bleeding, though!!  So, I think it's probably caused by whatever caused this in the first place.  I'm just hoping it's not anything SERIOUS and that it just goes away on its own.

My thoughts are with you - I will keep you posted on what happens with my test results, and please keep me posted with yours.  Hang in there - it will all be resolved soon, one way or another.

Siren
To Siren:

Thanks for your response. I heard from my dr. this morning that my hCG levels went down to 63, so she thinks it's a miscarriage. She contacted an OB/GYN specialist and this was her thinking as well. However, I need to go back for ANOTHER blood test tomorrow to see if it continues to go down and not fluctuate back up. I'm ready for this to be over. It's been stressful not knowing what is going on with me. I'm sick of bleeding, needles, and wondering what the next test will determine! Hope you get the answer you're looking for.
***Finally*** some clarity!  For the first time in weeks and weeks, my HCG has begun to drop.  It had been steadily going up very slowly since I became pregnant, and continued to go up even after all the bleeding and cramping was over.  Doc says it's dropped from 285 (my all-time high) to 265 and he's encouraged by the trend - there is an end in sight!! I asked him why I'm suddenly bleeding again and he said it could be that there was some leftover tissue, and now that my body has begun to expel it, the levels are beginning to decline.  He wants one more blood test next week to make sure they're still dropping.  I'm very relieved, which seems strange since this means the pregnancy is over for sure, but it's nice to have closure to it all, to know that we'll be able to finally put and end to this and move on.  I'll be happy when things return to 'normal' and am very glad that I did not need surgery for ectopic or anything like that.  I'm still baffled why I had all that pain on one side only, and they couldn't see anything ectopic... very weird.  They said perhaps it is so small (with levels being so low) that it passed through the tube on its own... but maybe it was just a 'regular miscarriage' - I think the truth is that we will never know and my doc will just treat it as a miscarriage.  Anyway, thanks to all who have listened and provided advice.  This is a very helpful forum and you should all be commended for giving such thoughtful advice to those in crisis.
well mine dropped in about a week after i finish bleeding.Then two weeks to the day i started my period not very heavy at all.But it came right when my normal cycle should have. Im hoping my next period is heavier so it gives me the go ahead to start trying again.
hi ive never posted before ,so heres what happened found out end of june i was pregnant after m/c in april was so exited 2 weeks ago i was nearing 15 weeks pregnant but had a pain in left side went to e.r they told us we were pregnant with twins wow i was over the moon i couldnt believe it ,it was like getting back the one i lost but he said he just wanted to check make sure everything was ok as the babies looked small so i wasnt worried as for twins i thought thats probably normal so went to the specialist and and they did the sonogram and told me they coulnt find any heartbeats so then i began to worry then they told me one baby was measuring 5weeks and 5 days and the other was measuring 6 weeks and 2 days so at that point i was trying to make my husband understand that there was no way the dates could be that mixed up that something had to be wrong ,but he kept saying theres been a mix up there must have been but i knew there was no hope at that point ,they did blood work and i was 11,700 they did them again 2 days later and i wasnt even 600 anymore ......another sonogram ......they confirmed that both babies had died at 6 weeks id been carring them around for 7 weeks or more thinking i had a healthy pregnancy !they gave me a d/c 2 days later now i dont know what to expect ,i have progeserone supositories if i do try again and am positive but i dont even know when i can have sex let alone know when my a/f will turn up what do i do now?
To All - if you have had similiar sitations - In June I discovered I was pregnent, within 2 weeks it was apparent that something was wrong, at first they suggested it could be ectopic, but then after a while the HCG levels dropped so considerably that they assured me the pregnancy wasnt growing and that I was probably miscarrying.  I did, and I bled very heavily for almost a week.  Its been 67 days since the miscarriage stopped, and I havent had a miscarriage, today, out of the blue, I felt drawn to buying a pregnancy test - and it tested positive - I'm not going to get carried away - but as a novice at this, I am unsure if it could just be hormones from the last time still showing?  I'm pretty sure this isnt the case, but just wondering if anyone has some advice?
Hi, I'm so glad to have found this forum. At times I was so scared that I was the only one with this kind of problem. Well good luck to all us on this forum. I had a miscarriage by 13 Weeks on the 13/09 and a D & C was done on the 14/09. I’ve been bleeding heavily and I had too much pain for that whole week. On the 20/09 I had labor pains as from morning hours until at around 16h30, soon after this I realized that I was in labor and some of the baby remaining came out, since the 1st D & C was not done properly.  So I went back for a second D & C on the 21/09 again. So What I actually want to know is if one of you will have an idea on when I will start evaluating again. Help plse.
I GOT MY PERIOD ON APRIL 4, 2008 AND ON THE MID-NIGHT OF THE 14 MY HUSBAND AND I HAD SEX AND IT JUST HAPPENED TO BE A GOOD NIGHT, MY CONCERN IS IM I PREGNET OR NOT?
I think everyone goes through things differently. I had a miscarriage and only a couple weeks later (Around the normal time I would've had my period) Is when I started. I have a bicornuate uterus so I'm the type of person who will have a period sometimes while being pregnant. So I think maybe that's why I had mine around a normal time. It was veryyy heavy. Boy did that suck.. Having a period like a woman would if she did actually have a baby kind of sucks when you have nothing to show forth. But it's okay. It's always fun to try again. I hope everything is going good.
i am sorry for your loss and me too i am still looking for the same answer coz i had an ectopic pregnancy on 31 July and still haven't had my period after that so i am still looking for the same answer..goodluck anyway..from Naomi
Heya,
so i have been dealing with persistant pregnancy.... it *****!  I found out that i was between 8-11weeks along when i had the worst pain ever on my right side, went to the hostpital and after 9 hours found out it was ectopic and that it had hemorraged.  i had laproscopic surgery to remove the babe and fix my tube.  they managed to save the tube and the healing time was about 2 weeks(still healing)  I had to get blood work every week until the hormone went to zero, it started out at 2400 and two weeks after the surgery it had jumped to 5000...so i was rushed back to the hospital to have two injections of methotrexate(did not spell that right)  i had two more weeks after that of blood work and the hormone finally dropped to 460.  that was two weeks ago and i have just started spotting....is this a period?  i have pain in my right side, nothing like the pain before but i am still a little concered.  can  you get your period before your levels hit zero???

my husband and i are still bummed about losing the baby but everything happens for a reason and hopefully one day we can carry bunch full term.  hope you all are doing well and remember, its no ones fault, this stuff just happens and it will make you stronger if you keep positive.

shan

Well my scenario, is similar , in the fact that i had an ectopic, but treated with a methotraxte shot, ( twice) since my levels were not dropping as expected.My levels are still 201, a whole month after the shot!! Either this is the longest nightmare, or is this whats expected?? Im due for blood test this week again.... im hoping that im at a zero. By then i can start to count 3 months before i can try to conceive again ...=(
i miscarrige at 12 weeks but when i wenyt for a scan beacause of the spotting the baby had died at 6 weeks.can anyone tell me when i will get my periods back after a d and c i was rushed to theater becasuse i was losing so much blood its been three weeks now ive been getting really bad cramp but no bleeding and can you tell me if there is a follow up or not  thanks kathleen
I had scheduled my first ultrasound for a Friday, but on a Tuesday I had some very light brown discharge and mild cramping. My doctor sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound and there were two sacks. When I went to the bathroom before the vaginal ultrasound I noticed a heavier brown discharge. My largest sac only measured 5 weeks, 2 days and my last period had been over 9 weeks that day. I went to the Dr. the following day for blood work any my HCG levels were nearly 5,000, which was higher than the Dr. expected. The following day my levels only jumped about 150. My Dr. wasn’t concerned with the spotting since my levels had risen somewhat, but she did say she didn’t think the pregnancy would survive. We scheduled an ultrasound the next week, but that day I started heavy bleeding and I miscarried naturally. I had hand huge clots and the blood was unimaginable. The next day my HCG levels were in the 1,000’s. I get tested in a few days again, but it’s so sad because we were so excited about twins and the thought that I was carrying around something not growing for weeks is really sad. My Dr. says to wait two cycles, but I’m not sure why one wouldn’t suffice? My body seems to be doing the job well and nothing seems to be wrong and mentally my husband and I are ready to try again after my next period. We do know that we will be ultra paranoid during the next pregnancy and any after.
hey all i just suffered and ectopic pregnancy and lost bub on the 11.11.11 and it has broken my heart i still havent bleed since i had the shot of methotraxte i dont know what is going on well my hcg levels were at 18 when i last had bleeds taken but still no bleeding it has been 2 weeks now and i am a little worried

i wanted my baby so much and just feel like i have lost a part of me and my 4 year old keeps asking for baby which breaks my heart
u got treated for ectopic when u dint have one? u lost baby because of that injection? did u take action on doctor?
ticktack