Maternal & Child Community
How soon can you get a positive hpt?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How soon can you get a positive hpt?

I was just wondering, when is the soonest possible anyone has ever gotten a positive hpt? I hear ppl say 8dpo and 9dpo but is that to early??
i got a positive 5 days before my period was to start with a First Response
I tested 12 dpo and got  a faint positive and retested the next day when i had a big fat positive :)
good luck
Just out of curiosity, theoretically, if you conceived on day 14, how long do you think it would take for hpt to detect the pregnancy hormone.  I know every woman is different, but let's just hypothetically...
Okie dokie thank you ladies. I will probably test next week sometime. I will update you too!!
They have had + show up on a HPT by 9 DPO. Blood levels can detect it on day 6 if done right. It takes up to 6 days to implant and really start cranking out the HCG, so neither blood or urine would detect it before then.

I always got my BFP's well before AF was due.

Andi
it takes 6-12 days after conception for implantation to happen and 2-3 days after implantaion to get enough HCG to come up for  HPT to read. so the soonest you can test in theory is 8-9 DPO...more realistic is 10-14 DPO. hope this helps.

love and baby dust....kimmie
my earliest BFP was 10 DPO and with DS it was 12 DPO.

love....kimmie
That did help alot!! Thank you so much....look for my name next week and I will update!!
I know you said you got a positive at 9dpo....Do you happen to remember which brand it was? I have a accu clear which is supposed to be a early pregnancy test, but I read on peeonastick.com, that accu clears are best taken after you missed your period, and I've heard so many false positives about first response, and disappearing lines, I don't want that to happen!! It's so hard picking out the "best" pregnancy test!! LOL
i use the CBE digital.....it read me at only 20 mIU/ml....i was 10 DPO. it is really sensitive and no guessing, no evap line...just PG or NOT PG.

love...kimmie
I like the really early ones Answer Early, the simple strip ones. I actually think the one I took with Jonathan was a walgreen's early HPT. That was back in early 2001.

I do love the clear blue digital ones. They read at 50, but if you are pg, they will tell you within a day or so of expected AF. No guessing about faint lines. It either says "pregnant" or "not pregnant"

Andi
i got a pos on CBE digital at only 20 mIU....it is even more sensitive than they claim.

love....kimmie
Ok good!! I will definitly go get one of the CBE digitals. I didn't know how good the digitals really work. I had a couple ppl tell me they didn't pick up until later but I'm thinking that was the e.p.t digital, but I will def have to go get one of those!!
How soon did accu clear pick up?? I posted on another sight and couldn't get anyone to answer about the accu clear and I already have those sitting in my drawer!! LOL I def don't wanna go buy anymore than I have to if that one is going to pick up early!! And yes it does sound like a contact lens!! LOL
I used Accuclear (that still sounds like a contact lens product to me LOL) and I got early readings every time with it.  That is the only test I will use, however, if all goes well I will NEVER have to use one again.  I am done.  Good luck to you.
I always used clearblue easy digital.  It read as low as 21. Even as my numbers got a little lower it picked it up at 18.  Also, with another pg, it picked it up even when FRED gave me confusing neg-looking results.  The line was barely there--nearly invisible with FRED, yet my beta number was 48.  I got angry and said forget it then took the CBED and it came up within 25 seconds...Pregnant in clear words.
would E.P.T. be a good choice for a test? ive been using those
Perhaps someone can help me out here...
I took a Clomid cycle day 5-9, and a HCG injection day 17 followed by UIU 12 hours later and an additional 12 hours later we ttc.
From day 24-28 I was put on Progestrone. Then on day 28, The doctor drew blood and said it was neg. so they took me off the progestrone and said to call the office after my period began to start.
Ok. the blood test for pregnancy was taken exactly 11 days following the procedure and 10 days after my husband I TTC.
Now I am on day 31 with no period. (I am normally a 28 day cycle)
The home pregnancy test reads positive and I have simular systems as when I was on the progestrone again.
I am supose to go in tomorrow for another blood work up and ultrasound...but could we have tested too soon and perhaps I am pregnant??
How on earth does everyone pass the time between o ting and AF due I am finding it really difficult to not do a test and I am only 7 dpo, some symptoms but I think sometimes you you look too hard for symptoms that my not necessarily be there,  fingers crossed though. I just don't want to be disapointed again...from testing too early.
Hello
I have been trying to get PG for months now. I took the ovulation test on the 12 of this month and about 6 days later I had light spotting for just one day. Can this be implantation and if so how soon can I test?  Thanks you for your help
I took a pg test this morning, and I am 10 DPO.  It showed a faint positive.  It was the Answer brand.  After work just now I took another with a different brand (First Response) and it showed the same faint positive line.
I know that this is going to sound really crazy but i have not had a menstural cycle since august 18,2005 its now november 9th i have taken 6 pregnancy test and for some reason it is still unbelieveable to me, Do you guys think that there could be any way whats so ever that it could auctally be a false positive????

( i know after 6 times sounds crazy but just curious if you have ever heard of anything like that before?)
thanks!
okay i had my period oct 20, for 2 days.

my husband and I had you know nov 3.

My breasts go from sore to heavy, and then go away.

I go the  bathroom alot, I feel like im gonna have a period again, could i be preg.
I've had cramps and the munchies, and always tired,
I'm the same way. I'm supposed to start AF tomorrow..... but the cramps seem different. More like twinges not dull cramps. And, I'm not weepy like I usually am before AF....
I'm nervous.
I am too supose to be starting my AF today, which I haven't start, so if I don't start tomorrow I am going to take a pregnancy test.. praying to god its possitive~~
A positive is a positive -- especially 9 of them.  You may just still be early on and not showing strongly.  Each pregnancy is different.  For some reason my sisters first child had really really high HCG levels (which is what a pregnancy test measures).  They thought it might be twins -- it was not -- just a happy healthy boy.  Her second pregnancy it took weeks after her missed period for it to ever show up positive on a pregnancy test.  But now she has a beautiful 4 year old girl.  

Each pregnancy is differnt.  If it is showing positive then you more than likely are pregnant.  A false positive is very rare -- and 9 of them is next to impossible.  Spotting happens sometimes with no further complications.  It is possible that it is the start of a m/c, but the doctor would have to check your HCG levels twice to know for sure.  I know it sucks waiting till monday to get your bloodwork back.  At least it is not a holiday weekend.  -- Trying to look on the bright side :)

Best wishes to you.

Take care,

Amanda
I am really confused. I have not had sex since Oct. 9th. On October 17 took a hpt and bfn. AF came Oct 18 for 2 days (I usually have for 5 to 7). AF due again on Nov. 13 took preg test came out faint positive. Spotted again on 14, 15, 16, light and not like normal AF. I know this is obsessive, but in the last 4 days I have taken 9 hpt all positive but faint. I finally went to the dr for blood test on friday and won't know until Monday. Is it even possible for me to still be preg. after spotting 2x??? I will know for sure on Monday, but it is driving me crazy! Just want to know because I do smoke and will stop immediately once I know for sure. I have one child now and I tested really positive about a week after AF.
I had sex sunday, 11/13, the day before I had the sticky stretchy mucus.  I have been on the web like crazy looking to see how soon I can test.  I have taken so many tests, firstresponse being the one used most.  I took one yesterday and if you look really close you see a line (REALLY FAINT), they say not to read a negative after 10 minutes because you can get an evaporation line.  This slight line came this morning before the 3 minute time frame.  Could I be pregnant.  I don't know if the mucus I had meant I was fertile.  Anyone have any idea.  Tomorrow, wed 11/23 will be day 10 after sex, shouldn't I have a positive test by now if I am pg?

Thanks to anyone for help
Kix
I went to the doctors, not pregnant, they said I have a large uterus, which can mean my period is on the way, or I can be pregnant, and there is no harmones to tell. IT can be too early. I have to go back in three weeks if no period:(
I am beginning to feel like that I am losing my mind. I completly missed my period in October and thought I was pregnant, but the blood test said negative. I had a short period on November 3 which last 5 days ( my periods usually last 7-9 days). However I have been having nipple pain and my beast are tender. I am still feeling so tired, and just can't get into the scheme of things, and I am normally very active. My last period before Nov 4th was September 26, which ws normal and on time.  Is it possible to test now to see if I am pregnant? I am 39 by the way.

feeling like I am losing it,
Wendy
I just got a positive yesterday at 13dpo. I did not use fmu and it still showed positive after a couple minutes. Tried again this am using fmu and got a slightly darker bfp.  I used the Answer brand pee on the stick type.
I am 4 days before AF and I took a First Response and it was negative.  Is there any way I could stil lbe pregnant and the pt just did not pick it up? Or am I doomed for this month?
This is straight from their website: The amount of pregnancy hormone increases as pregnancy progresses. In clinical testing, FIRST RESPONSE
Yea i was wondering the same thing some people say 6 days and some say long im kinda worried how soon you the test detect the hormone??

Hello everyone.  I am reading all these posts and thinking there are many of us going through the EXACT same thing!!!  I'm searching everywhere for answers.  Has anyone ever tested 2 faint positives on EPT at around 10dpo and negative blood test 11dpo??  Have ALL symptoms.
Everyone is so different...and you can go crazy testing 10 dpo- 20 dpo but the bottom line is just wait until you miss your period or wait at least 14 dpo. Then get a blood test if you are still unsure. I have wasted my money on countless tests just to be disappointed and out money because I let the excitement get the best of me. I know it is hard for everyone but try to wrap your mind around other things while waiting or you will drive yourself nuts. I could sit at the computer reading up on symptoms and then all of a sudden feel them. Your mind can play cruel tricks on you when you are dying to be pregnant. Funny thing is, my mom never had a single symptom until she was 2 months pregnant...with all three of us, so symptoms really don't tell you a lot unless you have extreme ones. I know it is hard to even think about taking this advice but believe me when I say...time will go by much faster and you won't be as stressed if you try to get yourself involved in something else while you are waiting. :)
Good luck to all! *baby dust*
i am commenting about the woman who hasn't had a period ever since august 2005.  well, i have gone through the same thing about a month ago.  my period was 3 months late.  i took about 8 hpt and they were all negative.  i also had a blood test done and it was negative.  after 3 months gone by and still no period, i demanded for an ultrasound to be done.  well, come to find out i have polycystic syndrome.  it's is when your ovaries are covered with multiple cysts, and it prevents you from having a period.  women with severe cases of polycystic syndrome become infertile, might be able to have kids but through medications and envitro fertilization, and have only 2 to 3 periods every year.  this might be something to look into.  hope this helps.
i am wondering the same thing.i am trying to get pregnant and wish i could take one 5 days after sexual activity, but i would like to know what is the soonest day as well.
Hey everyone... New to this... Can anyone help me out... My last period was Jul 27 & my periods are not regular so I don't know if I am late or pregnant... I usually get cramps & sore breasts when I'm going to start but none of that happened... & I had what I think was Implantation bleeding on about Aug 22-25 somewhere around there but I had diarrhea & a little cramping with it (don't know what that was about) & I took a HPT on the 1st of Sept I think... (cant really remember when) & got a neg. it's now 9/8 & still no period... I had a little bit of cramping last night & night before... & It has been 43 days since last period... I don't think I have pasted 41 days without getting a period... I've felt really tired the other day & had mood swings yesterday & nauseated the other day & almost threw up from the smell of something that grossed me out... If I am pregnant can anyone tell me how far along I am? I want to take another test on tomorrow if I don't get my period by then is that too soon or not? Should it show up now??? & well I have a Dr. apt. on 9/10 to see what is going on... My last periods have came 37 41 39 36 & 31 days apart... Can anyone help me out or tell me what you think is up... Thanks
With your irregular periods, your doctor is your best guide now.  Glad you have an appointment so soon.
Why don't you do a pregnancy test?  It should work by now.
if you bled from the 22-25 and your cycles are irregular, that may have been af. hpt should show positve by now.
I did do another test this morning 9/9 cause I still haven't started my period & it was negative & it's now been 45 days since my last period & it has never been that long before my next period... Besides the last time I was pregnant... & I didn't bleed on the 22-25 it was more like implantation bleeding... It was very light pink & only noticed it when I went to the bath room a few times out of the days, & it only lasted about 3 days, my periods last from 5-6 days... I think I should have had my period by now, when I had what I think was implantation bleeding, I kinda thought that my period wasn't going to come & when it was time for me to start, it didn't... I have a dr. apt in the morning... I just hope everything is ok with me.
This is the first day of my missed period. I have an accu clear early pregnancy test. Is it going to work so early?
I have pretty irregular cycles too, averaging 35, but ranges from 25 to 49 days!  Well mostly more like 31 to 37 though.  It did happened one time when I didn't have my period for 45 days and I started freaking out over pregnancy.  That's when I didn't want to get pregnant.  In hindsight, I remember not having any other prego symtoms (symptoms) now that I'm a mommy.  So if your period is irregular, but shows not absolute signs of pregnancy and gets a negative, I would wait a few more days between testing.  At some point of time if you still don't get a result, you may need confirmation from your doctor.  If you knew for sure when you ovulated, I think a negative prego test would be pretty accurate if you are already past normal AF time.
Well I went to the doc. this morning & got another NEG... So my doc just recomended I wait another week to test agtain or take a blood test but she also brought up urinary track infection... & IF it is that, that could be what is throwing me off... So I am goin to get tested for that in 2 days to see if it is that... I just hope I find out what it really is & soon!...
( sorry girls my spelling is way bad)
My husband and I havent been ttc for that long... Since sept when he got back from deployment..
my last period was 01/01/2008 and before my fertilityfriend charts started to do the funky chicken it said I had ovulated on day 15 the date today is 01/26/2008 I am 26 days since last period and acording to ovulation i am 11dpo..on CD 9 it said I havent ovualted and am not due to till feb 2nd and period isnt due till around the 14th (horiable day) so im not sure if i have ovulated or not? or whats going on?
I took a hpt 9dpo just for kicks and it came up neg and 10dpo I used 2 opk's and they came up positive and then I have read that you could use opk's as hpt's so I was thinking that I could be preg?
around 4-6 dpo's I started to cramp alittle (faint) and about 5-6 dpo my chest started to hurt (faint) and then I started to pee like 6 time an hour thats not normal for me i dont drink alot of liquad and my normal peeing aday is about 6 times a day not an hour..
I dont know if I could be pregnant of if I am hoping so much that I am that I think I am.. (if that makes any sents)
also on the 14th I have an apt at the OB-GYN for infertiliy cause I also think something might be wrong, we had my husband tested hes fine so..I was just looking for advice from other ppl that have gone through similer sitituations (and someone besides DH)
Please let me know if anything comes to mind and will keep updated on period and ovulation (if it hasnt happened) and pregnancy (if I did conceive)

Thank-you for listing to me
Chels
I am 9 dpo and desperately want to know if I could be pregnant. My husband and I have been trying for 3 months now to conceive. I started having cramps around 2 dpo and these have continued up until now - they almost not there now. I am very miserable, tired and urinate frequently but otherwise have had no other symptoms. My breasts are tender but it may be because AF is due in 6 days time. I feel obsessed with this whole pregnancy idea and just wish I could tell RIGHT NOW if I am pregnant.
Me nad my husband havent been trying to conceive for very long but i have been strictly going by the ovulation calender and know for sure we had sex all the days i was fertile. I took a hpt on the 8th and it was negative .... i was a little sad but thought maybe it was too early to tell now its the 13th and im 2 days late for my period.. i was hoping that maybe i am preganant>>>> but when i used the bathroom this mornig i got slight pink blood when i wiped could this be my period???
I used first response. It says 5 days before. But I took it last night, NINE days before missed period and got a positive! I know from experience with my last period that I got a positive with an HCG level of only 9. And I know this because I had a quantative blood test done the day after I took that pregnancy test.

So first response can actually detect a much lower HCG level than it says.

With this pregnancy, I tested 6, maybe 8 DPO, which is nine days before my period, and I was three weeks and one day or so.

So it is possible!!!!
Best of luck!!
Im pretty sure im pregnant, I was suppose to start my period as of today and it's always rite on time (REG)... And it never came. I had sex on the day I was ovulating and multiple times during those few days im most fertile!!! But for the past three day i have had slight cramps on and off and i spotted a lil blood for like a second two days ago and my breast have been very tender  more than usual!  But that was it!! No period ever came. I was wondering if its possible I am prego and still just having symptoms of a period?? Im going to take a hpt here in a couple days but Im curious!
what is dpo? days past ovulation?
Wat does dpo and all the letters mean lol i just was wandering how many days after sex u ccan loom to see if ur prego
Hey Ladies, im not entirely sure that anyone still uses this thread, but here goes, today is 8dpo, i have been getting a weird dull, lower abdominal ache since 6dpo, more on anf off then, but a bit stronger today. I have 10ml/u tests i took one this morning and BFN, but i probably tested too early i am a test-o-holic, the last few days i have been getting nasty heartburn (only had once before, like 3 years ago), a strange pulling feeling in lower abdomin (abdomen), feeling a little more tired than usual, and i am changing constantly from hypo, to calm, to emotional, also my temp seems to changing quite quickly.

does this sound like i could be pregnant?

Jennie.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Baby Dust xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jennie

It could have been the test that you took too...

My husband and I are working on #5...I won't be able to test until Saturday the 31st.....however, I already have swollen breast and my nips are hard 24.7. I think I may be but won't know for certain. I know the wait stinks but the BEST test out there is your missed period. And I am sure you know by now but what happened???
I tested 5 days before my period was even due igot a faint positive... tested the next day and got a clearer positive... my period is due in 2 days am wondering if its a false positive??? 5 days before my period seems a bit early to show? Done a test because i just had a feeling? What do u guys think? Annemarie x x x