Maternal & Child Community
How to ask for maternity leave?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How to ask for maternity leave?

Ok, I have posted about this a long time ago and now it is time to talk with my boss about maternity leave.  I have been with my company for 10 years and there is no polices on maternity leave - they never had to deal with it.  There is only 8 of us here so no law is protecting my job, but they are going to hold it for me.  What is standard for bigger companies - how much do they pay while you are gone?  Should I ask them to pay me while I am away.  I got 4 weeks vac, but would like to save it for that, but most likey have to use it.  How do I ask for them to pay me while I am gone for the two weeks - do most people get 50% of pay.  When I talk to her, I want to give her an idea of what most other companies do.
BTW I am 29w1d
all companies are different with what they pay.

with my first company/first baby they paid 6 weeks for vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for c-section this is covered under short term disability and fmla.  some companies don't have fmla but short term disability.
however they only paid paid 4 weeks at 100% pay and 2 or 4 (depending on delivery) at 60% pay.

with the company I'm at now they pay all 6 weeks at 100% pay if you have been with the company 2 years.

if i want to take additional time it will be classified as fmla only and that is either unpaid or using sick/vacation time
I work for a health insurance company and our standard leave is 6 weeks vaginal and 8 weeks for a c-section.  I was paid at 67 1/3% of my regular salary during that time.  
i forgot to say that in the wonderful USA we only get a max of 12 weeks where your job is guaranteed under fmla.

i took all 12 weeks with my daughter...and then with this one (God willing) I'll do the same.

6 weeks unpaid is hard so I used vacation/sick time and took 3 weeks unpaid (still hard) lol

money is always hard in my world.  but it worked out because we didn't have daycare costs and they are horrific
Well, i got 75% of my pay for 6 weeks. 6 weeks is the standard amount of time you should be given for your time off after having a baby. Your doctor should be able to write you a note saying that you need to be off for that duration. Some companies may give you 85% or more of your pay if you have opted to pay more for your short term disability. But you should definitely be getting paid for your maternity leave.
the company i work for u get 9 months 100% pay then 3 months 60% pay. and they have 2 leave my job open 4 me even if i dont decide 2 return,i live in the uk.
yes, you should plan to be out a minimum of 4-6 weeks if you can.  drs will write a note if it's a problem.  you should be out until your post partum check up at the earliest.
i need to move to the uk
I am a teacher in Kentucky.  My school district makes us use sick days for maternity leave.  We don't have vacation days.  My maternity leave will drain my sick bank dry.  I just hope I never get sick next year.
Even big companies are not required to pay you anything while you are on leave, only to hold your job.  Most places do not pay unless you have a disability policy through work and that pays you.  You can always ask and see if they will pay you for any of your time, but you should be very gratefull if they do, especially being a small company.  My co. doesn't pay anything.
it must b totally different over here even dh gets2 wks full pay from his job.
Mine is covered under FMLA, but I'll only get paid for however much paid leave I have. I can take up to 12 weeks off, but I only will have about 6 weeks of paid leave when I take it. Fortunately, dh gets paid enough that 6 weeks without my check won't hurt us, but I hate the idea of going back to work with no paid leave left!!
I have to have my talk with my boss soon so I want to state what most do - I really don't think they want to pay me anything so I have to ask.  What is safe to ask 50% 60%.  I guess I just need to come out and ask if they are going to pay me while I am gone.  I am having a C-Section and would love to have the 8weeks.  I am working overtime right now and have saved about $1400 so far - that is about $200 over my two week pay check amount.  But got to use that for some baby stuff, so it will go a bit.  That is really all I got to my name, except about $2500 in IRA which I don't want to touch.  I guess I want to say this is what most companies do.  I think I will ask for 50% - sound ok.  I am sure I will have to use up all my vac.
I live in Tx and am a teacher...we get NO pay for leave! Must have a note from your dr. and they will hold your job as per law for 12 weeks but no pay.(oh, we get like 5 days for sick leave and with a 2yr old at home that doesn't last long! so I have no sick pay left) I had to take early leave in Nov due to medical condition affecting the preg. and my dr wrote a note. I went back to work mid of Mar. no pay!!! I am working now but it will be a while before we can catch up...the hospital wants their money...i was in for 17 days! I have insurance but owe then like 4K so its off to work I go...hate it but I really dont have much of a choice and I believe in paying my way in society. I envy those of you who got leave and pay how nice!
What sucks to is now BF is out of my life and child support can't be set up until after the baby is born - no help from him on medical bills etc.  He will have to own me though.
I work for a company also that does not qualify for the FLA-I took 9 weeks for my first and 8 weeks for my second--both times I used my short term disablity policy and vacation time.  I did come in a few times that they needed me during those weeks and they paid me for the hours I worked.  I bought the policy through AFLAC--I believe that you do need to have this in place before you actually get pg--but you may check around and see if there are other companies out there that only state that you need to be working for so long before using it.
Wow you would think that the government would at least have something for the teachers set up.  How crazy is that.  I do intend to look for another job after the baby is born - hopefully with a company that gives lots of Vac and medical leave - and of course more money.  It is going to be a little tight tring to raise two kids on $20 an hour.  Like most I have to pay daycare, but at least it is my sister who will only charge me $120 compared to the $223 a week that daycare centers charge in my area - Northern Virginia!!  Anyway I hope to get some of my pay while I'm out.
oh man....I feel for ya! Do you have anyone that can help ya? My DH works out of town during the week...construction...lives in our travel trailer and comes home on weekends so I have the kids myself...feel like a single mom(3kids) doing it all myself but he is there for me emotionally during the week which is a big help. We talk several times a day on the phone. Do you have any friends who can donate things for the baby they don't need? I found that esp. helpful for items babies won't use long....
You are living in a dream world. :) I live in Canada, I can get 52 weeks paid maternity leave with upper limit pay (or 55% pay if not reaching upper limit). I might take it all because day care for infant is horrific and has yearlong waiting list.
I direct a firm of about 20, and we have nothing official as far as mat. leave.  I am the first to do it.  So, who the heck knows what's gonna happen. I'm taking 12 weeks regardless of what I get.  It's the only time I'm going to have this little boy newborn, and I'm going to spend 12 full weeks with him.  We shall see!!
That's the life of a public servant for ya LOL!!! I live in a rural area so day care for a newborn in $100 a week and for my DD is 90 a week to me it is a lot as we don't get pd over state base in salary. Ive got 20 yrs in so that helps as far as my step pay is concerned but it is sad...to think I have a masters and 7 teaching certification areas for state base pay! and under the gun every day due to state mandated testing! How would you like it if a 16 yr old determined you having a job or not?! I'm  44 and plan to retire in 10 yrs so trying to stick it out till then! Wish I would have gone into the medical field! I'm glad you have your sister to help! Good luck to ya!
geez....I need to move where you are.  I'll be paying 240/wk for the infant and 140/wk for my 2 yr old.

i thought I lived rural.
I live 200 miles east of Dallas...there it is very $$$ of daycare but you get pd more...I live in a little town on 80 acres of land...one light town! The school is small..everyone is related or knows one another...I teach sophomore Eng and have about 55 kids...I'm the only sop. Eng teacher. My son is in 3rd grade and is in hte elem. school which is on the same property as all the schools here. It is nice knowing he is very close and that I can go see him on my break or if he needs anything I'm near. I moved here for all these factors... of course we have our problems no place is utopia but it is a nice life.
deanne11 that's a lot of money - I though $223 a week was bad, I'm lucky I only have to pay sis $120  I'm closer to Washington DC so that is why I'm sure.  When my daughter was little, it was $90 a week, she is now 11 going on 12.  Crazy.  I wish I lived in Canada how nice would that be to take care of your baby for so long and still get paid.
I'm living with my parents for right now - my dad, mom, daughter, and sister will be there in the summer with me.  My mom is in a wheel chair and dad got some problems too but they will help.  My daughter 11 will too.  Space is going to be tight.  My sis doesn't live there, but when the baby comes it going to be five people there in a 3 bedroom home - and I'm in a room with my daughter already.  But the baby won't take up to much space :-)
I would seriously consider staying home after this baby is born because of daycare....that's insane money.  I will be working just to pay daycare but I carry the medical benefits and we need that.
your DD will be a big help ...my son is 91/2 and helps me out too...the baby is in my room due to the 21/2 yr old has a very sm room that is pink and my son is in his own room...we are going to add on but for now the baby sleeps in a sm daycare size crib in my room I swear that thing was the best baby thing I ever bought! I pd $30 of it at a second hand store and love it...it is cozy for a newborn and take s up little space...a cradle is a waste as they quickly out grow it! Glad you have your family:) Good luck to ya...daycare is just so $$ isn't it?!!! It certainly puts a bind on working parents!
you are having a little girl right?

i don't know how this would work without getting personal information but i'd be happy to send you things (clothes) if you need it.

i know my dd lived in 'hand me downs' until this year, unfortunately she has now caught up in size to my best friends little girl...lol
Europe is much better when it comes to this stuff.  My mother (we hail from mother Russia) got 1 year of full pay with my sister, 2 years with me and by the time she had my brother (in 1983) she got 3!!! years of full paid leave.  Now it's not like that anymore but she was very pleased she had the option to stay at home for so long...ISn't it awesome!!
My job doesn't cover maternity leave and I got disability from the state 175 a week which is a joke!!  I got it for 5 weeks and then they told me that they're not willing to pay anymore b/c I had no complications.  I never knew that you get punished for having no complications.  
How do you apply with the state?  What state are you from?
I'm working to pay daycare too! LOL but I too carry the health insur. and can't be without that...my friend who stays at home pays 1000 a month for it for mj med!! Her husband is a contract worker also ...we just can't pay that kind of $$ and plus I'm 10 yrs from retirement from teaching so feel I have to stick it out...at least I have the same sch. as the kids holiday wise and when they enter public school I'll be here just as I am for my son...it is hard but it could be worse! I'm blessed! :)
I'm from NY.  My agency (who I work for) gave me the paperwork that I filled out and they mailed it in for me.  You could ask your place of work if they do it.
All I can say is that I'm freaking out over this topic!  I am on the same track as Kris!  Aaaah - I have to do this, too, soon!  
It is painful to think about and plan - that is when you don't know what to expect form your job.  You must not have leave either - sucks
sounds like i am very lucky 2 get so much leave, cant imagen goin bk 2 work only a few wks after havin my baby.
I'm in the same boat as you guys.  I just started this job in October so I'm not covered under FMLA.  I do have sicktime but I've had a complicated pregnacy and just got the flu so I've used it.  I'm actually surprised I still have a job.  I also have the health ins so I need this job.  My husband has a four year old that we have full custody of with no help from the mother so we will have to pay for his after school care on top of day care for the baby.  We are already behind with bills so decided to let the bank foreclose on our house.  We have a house that has been basically given to us by a family member so we have a place to go.  Have any of you considered being a server?   I think I'm going back to restaraunts because its less hours and if you are in the right place, more money.  Just a suggestion?   thanks for letting me vent
Good luck at work.  Most companies actually do not pay you for time off.  It is considered a benefit, I am lucky enough to get some paid time off with this job, but it will not all be paid.  I would just ask your boss.  Chances are if they are a small company like that they probably don't offer paid leave, hey only have to keep your job for you for 12 weeks, and that's if there are a certain # of employees, which as you said there aren't enough.  I hope you get some time off paid, it sucks to lose the $, but babies are so worth it if you can do it.  Good luck.
My company (UPS) is a big company therefore Im sure itll be different..
im out right now on STD and get chump change from my union..I make 900 a week and they pay me only 200wk..when I go for my LTD then I will recieve 500 a week..Still a drastic change pay wise..After delivery Ill continue with the same pay..Ive kept the same benefits. I can apply for FMLA after my 6 or 8 weeks run out...At my job, seeing its Union, they will hold your position, i dont lose seniority and my pay raises are still honored..

Sounds like you work at a small place of business and usually they dont have to pay or cover you at all..IAlthough,FMLA is granted in the states no matter what,i do believe.. Good Luck with everything