Maternal & Child Community
How to deal with a VERY hot tempered child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Oh my gosh! I have a baby with the world's worst temper and worst yet, she is BIG and so darned strong!  She hits me all the time (I realize a lot of it is accidental) but how do I deal with this ?  I don't believe in spanking but this girl is driving me over the edge...she is 15 months this week, is 29lbs and 33".  She almost knocked my eye out tonight while I was putting her to sleep--=her latest kick is throwing things not and not looking.  She hurts herself sometimes with these fits.  She has been ill and I realize cranky because I had to back off on her milk (diareahh).  Please give me advise how to deal with a bad temper.

ME2MOMMY I KNOW you can relate!
OH my..can I!  I would love to hear the comments b/c I can definitely use some suggestions on DD as well.  She fights going to sleep (and I mean, fights), you can't take anything away from her b/c she throws fits and if something's done the way she doesn't like it, she starts wailing.  G-d help me!  I love her to death but sometimes she drives me absolutely nuts.
Sounds just like Tristan at that age!! He would throw his milk cup and hit his older brother square in the head, hit like crazy, and really defined the term "difficult child." You know what helped, reinforcing his use of sign language while continuing to encourage his speech. It was his frustration not being able to express himself that was usually behind his outbursts. Even now at 3, he gets extremely frustrated despite having a huge and well understood vocabulary. He is just a very different child than my other two. He requires very specific parenting, different from what most children I have seen. And he requires a lot more positive attention. Getting on his level, eye to eye, low and calm voice, and a brief explanation. He gets time outs in his room to cool off when he has a spell, which have become increasingly less frequent over time. The funny thing is I can take him anywhere and he is a saint, very loving, easy to get along with, makes a friend everywhere we go. But at home he is comfortable and tends to react differently at times.

Once he became better able to articulate his thoughts and feelings, it got much better. Patience and firm discipline go a long way with kids like this. I recommend "The Difficult Child" by Stanley Turecki, MD. It really helps to understand just how different kids are with this temperament.

It does get better. It takes a lot of patience and love, but it is worth it. He is such a sweet natured kid, I just had to learn how to parent him as he was so different from my oldest.
I was given a book that I think you should read.  It was called "Raising the Strong Willed Child"  and was very good.  And it was writen by James Dopson who studied at the Dallas Theological Siminary.  The first paragraph decribed my son to a tea!  It gave tips on how to raise your children without "breaking their spirits" (don't think its a anti spanking book cause you won't find that in this book, it covers everything).  I loved it and I think you guys could get some really good pointers from it.  : ) It worked for us and I hope it works for all of you!