Maternal & Child Community
How to get my 18 month old to talk?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How to get my 18 month old to talk?

My son still does not talk and Im starting to worry, when he wants something he looks at me and moans and points. My mom said that I said a few words, but not a lot so she got worried and took me to the doctor, and I was fine, I started to talk before my 2nd birthday. I've been teaching him where his nose ears etc. I think he knows  because he did it twice and not again, I just think he doesn't care to do somethings. He understand when I talk to him he is very understandable, but just doesn't talk. I really want him to talk it would be so much easier and so much better for him. I never know if he is hungry or anything and my son is a poor eater so I always have to try and feed him. ANY ADVICE?
Noah was the same way, in fact, he didn't really start saying anything until a couple months ago and he still doesn't say much. He turned 2 in December. All kids talk at different rates, I wouldn't worry too much.
sounds like he's doing OK since he does understand you and respond. That is the most important thing at this age.

Just keep talking to him all day long. Narrate what you do, sing silly songs. Model what he should be saying and encourage him to repeat it, but don't get frustrated when he doesn't. Also, be repetitive. Last summer, DD and I would walk down the front stairs together. Each time we did, i would always say the same thing- "step down." Sure enough, within a few days, she was also saying "step down" everytime we went down the stairs. Keep repetitive phrases simple and say them in a pleasant, fun voice. He will soon associate the words with that specific action. Also, teach him some simple signs to give him a way to communicate his needs. It was a lifesaver when dd was around 12 months up until 14 months when her vocab exploded. She was able to indicate when she was hungry, thirsty, or wanted more of something. Even if you only teach those 3 signs, they can make a world of difference. Plus, it helps teach him that he can communicate in ways other than grunting and moaning. If you don't know those signs, you can easily find them on the internet, or in books and videos available in your local library (just google baby sign language)
My son (my third child) barely spoke until he was about 2 1/2.  It worried me to death!!  
My other two starting talking very early,; my daughter had a vocabulary of 30+ words at age 1, and my other son was talking in sentences by 2, at least.

At his 2-year check-up he only had about 10 words in his vocab; his doctor suggested I take him to speech classes, but I did not.  First of all, he hates strangers, and secondly, I am a teacher and KNEW that I was already doing whatever I could!  I encouraged him to ask for things when he pointed, talked to him constantly, asked questions like I was expecting an answer, etc.

Once he started really talking, he took off!!  He is no doubt every bit as smart as my other two, if not smarter!  He is extremely articulate and expressive in his language for a a 3-year old.  Everyone says so!

I guess my point is, some kids just start talking later than others-- especially boys, it seems-- and it is NO indication of developmental problems or intelligence, and no need to worry.  (Easy to say, right?) = )
I read this and had to laugh at my self. Our son is 21 months old and I have been worried  because he is not connecting two words, such as hot-water....cold-milk...
He can say hundreds of words and has been talking since 14months. We were so proud of his fantastic ability to communicate. He knows his shapes and all of his bdy parts.....Then last weeek we took him to his neurologist {he has temporal lobe epilepsy, and some bilateral brain damage, and decreased white matter} anyhow....While there the neurologist pointed out that "He can not or is not connecting two words, and  the rule is TWO WORDS BY TWO!.......She thought maybe this was due to his brain damage....and told us to really pay attention to this.....BOY HAVE I!!!!
Everyday now, all I do is notice the fact that this little guy is "only pointing and saying things like MILK, BALL, TOYS, FRIENDS, MA, PA, BOOK, READ, ...AND ON AND ON.... but nothing together......................YOU ALL JUST TOOK MY WORRY AWAY!!!!!
And how correct you are that they develop at their own pace!!!  
every baby is different. as long as he understand you and there is nothing wrong with his hearing, i wouldn't panic.
my oldest son didn't start talking til almost 3 years...and it was like a flood gate opened! he just wasn't ready, or didn't feel the need to.
my 2 &1/2 year old.....now him, i can hold an adult converstaion with him...more so than my friend's 5 year old daughter! words like 'ridiculous' and 'exaggerate' and 'gigantic'....but alot of it learns from his older brother.
just be patient and keep doing what you're doing.
Ryan started talking at about 18months.  He is 22months now and is putting two words together - some.  He says so many one words.  Give me some time he will do it :)
Jayden is 17 months and he's the same way.  He says a few words but when he wants something he points at it and moans.  I say to him, you want cookie?  Say cookie and then he repeats it to me, I say say please, he repeats please and when I hand it to him, I tell him say thank you and he says thank you.  So all you have to do is when he wants something, make him repeat it back to you.  Give it time, they do everything in their own pace.  My niece is 3 weeks older than Jayden and she repeats everything perfectly.  Every child is different, don't get concerned.
you know DS was the same...they just aren;t performers.. pay attention to him you will see he WILL talk and you will wonder did he just say thaT? but when you ask him to repeat he will look at you like you are nuts...DS was like that and because he is bilingual speaking was a big thing.. my ex mil freaked on me about speaking french to him because he wouldnt speak to her but he has many MANY words... i can say he now says at least 60 words in french and 60 in english...AND he can put 2 words together and make sentences...and he is 19 months of age.. he has been since he was about 16 months but before then it was just the uh uh pointing etc... and when i spoke to his pedi about the 2 languages and whatnot he laughed and said as long as they understand.. the words will come...his jibberish will turn into words...

some of the words he says are milk, more, step, wow, woah, bubbles, drink(but saYs dink lol) says mommy-my momma(he calls me my momma), daddy(sounds like dayyyyi), memere, pepere, what, where are you(sounds wheeeer aaaaa ooooouuu) baby, dodo, yum, menums(food), cheese, please(peeze) , nose etc i can keep this up.. and his sentences that he has said are.. daddy where are you, he asked me the other day..."My momma what my memere" (of course there are a few more but those are cute ones)just goes to show how half french and english he is...instead of saying where he says what...

dont worry it WILL come...
I don't know how accurate as far as the old tale that girls talk sooner than boys but for some reason my three girls talked much sooner than my boy (and they still do - LOL).  I'm willing to bet in no time, your son will be saying lots of words fast - I wouldn't worry :-)) - jen
it just gets me upset that he doesn't talk, my cousins and i our kids are only 1-3 months apart and they are so advance in talking. my son for an example he woke up today and saw a cup on the table he point at it and took his pacifier out of his mouth and point to it and says mmmm, thats it, i never know when he is hungry i try speaking him to all day and nothing. i have to just wait i take him to his 18 month check up this week i will discuss it with the doctor, im scared he will have speech problems, which i doubt.
I am no expert but it rally sounds to me like a form of autism. Don't get worried. Might not be and if it is there are ways to learn to deal with it. Over the years I have become ral familiar with autistic behavior when I was told my son might be autistic. He's almost five now and they think it might actually be ADHD but I was worried so familiarized myself with the disorder. THere's one thing I'd like to ask though. Does he have behaviors? The reason the doctor thought my son my have autism was more because of his behaviors. He didn't talk much and refused to do things, but it was his shy attitude and he would get frustrated if we kept trying to get him to do something and he'd throw himself on the floor and bang his head or just start screaming and jumping around. If your baby doesn't show these behaviors  and you went through the same thing as a baby I wouldn't worry about it. But if he shows strange behaviors you should speak with a specialist just to be sure.
I forgot to mention one thing. The doctor advised us to "refuse to give in to the behavior". When he points to something, dont just give it to him. Tell him what it is and get him to say it. If it's not something that he absolutely needs, such as food or something to drink, it's not going to hurt him any to refuse to get it for him. Of course don't be too hard on him. Agreat way to get him to talk though is to not give in to him unti he at least trys to say what he wants.
I have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster. i tend to be honest with my opinions on here. I tell people when i think there's a problem and try not to sugarcoat. I have told several people who have asked the very same question about their toddlers that i do feel there's a problem. Based on your description, i honestly don't think you have reason for concern yet. As megmil said, if the lack of speech were accompanied by unusual behaviors, then maybe... but he is communicating with you, even if not verbally yet. An autistic child would not be able to point and say mmm. Speak to your pediatrician at the next visit, but in the mean time, just give him some time and try some of the suggestions provided above. You also have to consider that you have an infant in the house. Not only could some of the behaviors be typical developmental stuff, it can also be in response to having a newborn in the house.
yes i doubt there is something actually wrong with him, hes starting to do more and more things every day but not speaking, but i have a feeling it will be soon, hes pointing and the airplanes, the other day he pointed at the moon and started to cry for it, im like i cant bring you down the moon lol, my son doesnt show those kind of behaviors hes pretty much normal, he likes to be outdoors all day and run away and scream and laugh lol, but he wont talk, but we go to the doc ont he 8 for his 18 month check up and my daughter 2 month check up, and we will discuss this issue. thanks a lot for your advice ladies im going to lay down and try to nap im so tierd :)