Maternal & Child Community
How to relieve sciatica pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How to relieve sciatica pain?

I'm 32 weeks pregnant and i've been having shooting pains in the right side of my back that radiates into my right buttock.  Its making most sleeping positions impossible.

Does anyone know of any way i can relieve the pain?
i tried alot of different things...chiropractor and accupunture worked the best.   sciatic pain usually shoots right down the leg.  mine went into my ankle.  you may be experiencing a different pain.  i had a belly belt that i wore around my waist. i cannot remember the name of the "girdle" but the problem was a combination of it and sciatica.  basically the hips are softening to allow baby to be delivered....i hope this helps!
When I got sciatica it hurt most if I was standing still. I could usually sit down in a recliner and get fairly comfortable or even walk around and it would be semi tolerable. I've always been told that the baby's position is causing it but to be honest I noticed I would get it immediately following sex. I haven't had any for a while. However, I'm fairly certain it's because I've been on bed rest for the last 5 weeks and cannot have sex. Good Luck! I know it's very painful.
I'm fairly sure my pain was sciatica and it went from my lower back into my buttock as well as my upper thigh at times. Mine never extended to my foot. But I guess everybody is different. I never thought of trying a chiro or acupuncture. It doesn't hurt to try. Just make sure they are trained for pregnant women.
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/pelvicgirdlepain/

here is a link....the other name was pelvic girdle pain...here are the symptoms

The pain is often one sided and may be concentrated in the buttock area. It may appear to jump from side to side or be accompanied by a general back pain or Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD). It can send shooting pains into your buttocks or down the back of your legs. If the pain is accompanied by pins and needles or numbness and extends further than your knee, it may be sciatica rather than PGP. You may also have pain in your hips. One or both of your legs may feel very weak and you may not be able to lift your legs, particularly when lying down.

i hope this info helps...
Go get a massage and have them work on your right glute and lower back area. Trigger point therapy really works and if you can find someone who does it in your area it is very benificial. Acupuncture is wonderful as well, and very relaxing. Good luck and just remember, it will go away. :)
I agree with the last poster, I am a massage therapist and it works wonders. :)
When I was pregnant, I had a pain so severe, especially while lying down...more so when rolling over, it felt like my hips were seperating, I literally had to hold them together when rolling over.  If it is this kind of pain you are referring to, the massage did nothing for me. IT was on this very forum that someone told me about PGP, and suggested Accupunture.  All the symptoms were exactly what I had!  My sciatica pain that I also suffered from, (earlier in my pregnancy) WAS relieved by massage.  The accupunture and the Pelvic Girdle Belt helped immensly for the Pelvic Girdle Pain.  Also, I took Tylenol for the pain. It is perfectly safe for you while pregnant.  I wouldn't even think about taking any meds with my first two pregnancies, but the pain was so severe, I had no choice.  In fact, my doctor prescribed Tylenol #3 (coedine).  My baby is 100% healthy.  Don't be afraid to take the Acetometophine (sp?) for the pain.  Immediately following the birth, my Pelvic Girdle Pain went away, unfortunately, my sciatica is still here, 3 months later,  I went for a MRI on Thurs. so they could try to see what was causing it.  I will get the results in a week.  Best of luck to you...I hope the pain goes away quickly!
Thank you everbody for your comments they were really very helpful to me.  I asked my husband to massage the area and it really helped me and it was so nice not to have the pain for a while.

I will definately look into buying a support of some kind as the pressure on that particular area helped a lot.  A lot of you sound like you had it really bad. I didn't even know the pain could go all the way down to your ankle.

Suprisebaby - Good luck with your results :) and thanks again to everyone!
Thanks Lisa Luke!  I hope they find SOMETHING...or they may have to do another MRI on my HEAD!!!! LOL LOL!!!!
Hello!  I am new to this site, but have found it very helpful for a few different things.

I injured by back about a year before my first pregnancy, and I suffered from sciatica pain very badly in the back of my left thigh for a long time before I knew what it was.  During my first pregnancy it got worse.  Finally I figured out what it was after my son was born, I went to physical therapy for a while... but the thing that cured my pain was exercises that my friend suggested to me (she has had back surgery and does these herself) because with a sciatica problem the problem usually originates in your lower back (or at least mine did).  The exercises are "Gunnar Peterson's Core Secrets" - with one of those large yoga balls.  As long as I do these exercises every day, I have no pain in my leg!  I am now 26 weeks pregnant with my second child and have not had a problem with my sciatica -you can still do some of the exercises while pregnant.  Also - getting on all your hands and knees like a dog and raising left arm and right leg, then vice versa I have found to be very helpful for lower back pain while pregnant.
Hi all,

I'm a huge believer in gentle exercises and stretching to relieve sciatica pain. The key is a regular routine of short sessions - preferably 3 or 4 times a day for around 15 minutes. You have to be really careful when you first start and take it very slowly.

I recommend a combination of gentle stretching movements and some strenghtening exercises for the abs, back and legs.

I wrote an article on it with a couple of videos that show you the basic movements I recommend. Its all free of course.

Best of luck to all.

Howard

Link to the article below:

http://hubpages.com/author/howardboon/hot/