Maternal & Child Community
How to stop pounding/kicking in crib?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How to stop pounding/kicking in crib?

Okay ladies - I have an 11 month old son who mostly sleeps 10/11 hrs over night and I couldn't be happier about that.  However, when I put him down to go to sleep @ night (some naps too) he'll lay in his crib and pound/kick his legs for 10-15 minutes before falling asleep.  I usually start nursing him about 3hrs 15min after he wakes up from his 2nd nap. I usually don't wait until he's tired but I have been going based on time as to when to put him to bed.  He doesn't cry in his crib - he kind of makes noise and 'talks' to himself but he bangs and bangs...  he kicks so hard just about the whole house shakes!

So - how do we get him to stop and go to sleep quietly?!  Any thoughts?
Only I can say is to ignore it. It's a way of getting attention. If you give him that attention, he will continue to do it more and more. At least it's not for a really long time and he's not screaming and crying. Most kids scream and cry to see if they can get their parents to come back into the room. My son did and I couldn't take it and would go back to the room and he would go even longer with that fit and it wasn't until he was 2 and 1/2 that he finally quit with the fits because I just wasn't strong enough to ignore it until meeting my husband who helped me get through it. Just be strong and ignore it. If you continue to ignore it he will see that it is time to sleep and you are not comming back and he will eventually stop completely. That's my guess to why he does it and ignoring it is the best way to deal with it.
Thanks - that's what I keep thinking. If we ignore it, he'll learn we're not going in there.  Eventually he does fall asleep on his own but last night it really sounded like the whole entire house was shaking!
i'd say ignore it too.
DD (almost 23 months) has always talked/played herself to sleep. It's actually quite nice, because it means she doesn't have to be totally exhausted to be put into bed. around 1 we started to give her board books in there to look at as she fell asleep. She now loves to read on her own in her crib before passing out. She also holds conversations with her babies and animals. or my favorite is when she sings herself to sleep. The important thing is that they can soothe/put themselves to sleep.
Thank you!!  I was talking with my husband today and said I'm inclined to ignore the pounding and hope he'll stop on his own soon.  When I hold/cuddle him for a few minutes to transition from awake to sleepy time he even will kick his legs as I hold him...  He kicked a lot when I was pregnant - guess he'll be a great soccer player!
one of my sons kicks his crib the other stands up and shakes it. he shakes it so hard in fact the screws are coming loose. not to mention he CHEWS on it. lol. there are teeth marks all along the edges where he stands and bends over and chew  chew  chew like a freakin beaver. lol.

we ignore it.....well try to. sometimes i think they're going to kick or shake one of the slats right out. my boys kicked ALL the time when i was pregnant with them. their little leg muscles are quite amazing.
It will sound funny to say it because it is not soothing to you, but it might be a way to self-soothe.  My son will put his arm up my sleeve or the back of my sweater if he is drinking a bottle, and rub, rub, rub my skin.  If he finds a little mole or skin tag, here come the sharp fingernails to try to pick or scratch it off.  (Yow!)  I know it's just a way of relaxing himself.  If he has a bottle and I'm not right by him, he'll come over to me and say, "Let me put my hand up your sleeve."  Then he'll get this faraway look on his face while he is doing it and drinking his bottle.  I'm certain that is all about self-soothing, being reminded of infancy, etc. etc.  It's nice that your son doesn't require you be there to be the training dummy or something.  Good luck waiting it out!
so then no worries?  he just doesn't seem tired when I put him down - or even if he is tired when we put him into the crib he'll pound himself to sleep. even now he's been asleep for about an hour and we just heard him pound...  so weird...  He's not pulling himself up on things yet - so no standing/shaking or chewing on the crib -yet!
Annie may be right. It may be a way of soothing hisself to sleep......either way, if it's for attention or a soothing method ignoring it may be the best advice but do check the crib often to make sure scews or bars aren't coming loose from the shaking he may be causing.
I would definitely do what I can to tire him out before he goes to bed.  It sounds like his problem is too much energy at bedtime.  It *is* nice that he will go down without crying or needing you there.  My son needs me there, so his bedtime is my hard-duty time.  

If you really can't stand it any more, Fischer Price makes a kick piano that mounts in the crib (it has 4 keys and can be turned down or off).  If you don't think it will scare him to death, you might try it.  Maybe he'll be distracted enough and enjoy it enough that he will stop the loud kicking in favor of beeping it with his feet instead.
Thanks - we try and tire him out before putting him down but sometimes that would mean not putting him to bed until like 10pm!  He doesn't go to day care so we never have to wake him up in the morning and pretty much let him get up when he's ready.  Some days that means not until 9am - which backs up the rest of the day.  So there are definately times when I'm putting him to bed and he may not be ready for bed or super tired but it's bed time.  He always will yawn on my shoulder though before I put hm in the crib.  When he gets up from this nap - which he didn't kick at all when he went down... I'll double check the screws and such.  Thanks for the tips ladies!