Maternal & Child Community
How/when to start baby on whole milk?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How/when to start baby on whole milk?

I let my dd (11 months old) try lots of different foods with the exception of nuts, eggs, etc..  But I'm pretty sure she's ready for whole milk.  I have her 1 year old appointment next month and am wondering if I should just start her off now?  How did you start your 1 year old on Whole milk and for that matter, nuts and eggs and all the other things they aren't allowed to have. Cold turkey?

Thanks so much!
i had a little bit of formula left around edwards first birthday, so i gave 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk until that was gone and then just milk after that. it was a fairly easy transition and he drank the milk without a problem. the only thing was that the whole milk gave him pretty bad diarehha after the first week of it, so we eventually switched to 2% which he has been drinking for the last 3 months no problem. i would, if you can, just put a call into the dr. and ask how they reccommend starting it. some advise doing 1/2 and 1/2 and some say just go for it 100%. since i had formula left though, i wasn't about to let it go to waste. that stuff is $$$. good luck!
also, im pretty sure she should be allowed to have eggs by now. i think my dr. reccommended waiting until 9 months for eggs. def still no nuts or honey tho.
Avery will be 1 next week but she doesn't go for her 1 year checkup until May 8th. I was wondering how her pediatrician wants me to transition her to whole milk also. Cold turkey or gradually. I guess I will have to call. It will be so much cheaper!!
I already asked and my doctor said to just start the whole milk same amount whenever you would have given formula but NOT until her first birthday.  So me being me decided to let her taste milk.  Def not cold.  She threw it.  Warm she was not too crazy about it.  Then I mixed it with formual.  2oz formula 3 oz of milk. BINGO - worked but warm.

I started that last week for her morning and afternoon bottles.  Her bedtime bottle is always just formula.

She will be 1 in two weeks I started a little early.  I was running low on formula and refused to buy more.  
Maybe I will try and give Avery some whole milk this week. She likes her bottles cold now so the temp shouldn't be a problem. Good luck ladies! :)
oh and Eva eats eggs.
I actually waited until about 14-15 mos.  I used the 'next step' formula from Enfamil.
My dr. said the formula Enfamil was milk based and there was NO NEED to  transition slowly. Just cold turkey. I think that the formula is for the calories, not sure but at 11mo's I would just do it...
thats what my doctor said also. we used enfamil too. he said if he tolerated a milk-based formula with no problem that he should have no problem with milk. i just did the 1/2 and 1/2 to get the most out the formula i had left. vitamens, etc.
Soraya is on Good Start Soy.  Soy base formula.  I guess I should probably talk to her Dr. about it then.  She isnt use to the cow milk. She had acid reflux in her first 3 months and so we switch it then. She's been on it ever since.
Since we are talking about milk, my son is 5 months....when is it ok to stop warming his formula?  Can I try to give it to him cold and see how he reacts?
Avery never really drank warm bottles-luke warm but not warm. She actually prefers her bottles colder. You could try it and see how he likes it. Good luck. :)
I never heat them to hot, room temperature but I get so tired of warming the formula.  I want to just grab it out of the fridge and feed it.  No extra hassle.  My friend never warmed her baby's bottle, she would just give it to her cold from the start.  This of course was her second baby.  Her first, she did it all.  Warm the bottle, sterilize everything.  Her first gets sick more often than her second.  Go figure.
Formula has iron, which is not only lacking in iron but the calcium interferes with iron absorption. It really is necessary for them to have that added iron until their first birthday. And for digestability, mixing it 1 part milk to formula and on for a little while makes it easier on them. While most formula is milk based, it contains specially broken down variations of the proteins in milk. Whole milk does not.

Having a baby is expensive. You simply cannot skimp on something because it is too expensive. I know, it may not make a difference, but you never know.
according to my ped, they can have egg yellows before 1, but no egg whites til after 1.

i'd hold off on nuts as long as possible. I know at least 2 yrs old, and i think they recently changed the recommendation to 3 years old. i know that's a pain, but after working with so many kids who have life-threatening nut allergies, i am definitely gonna wait til 3!

personally, i would also wait until after your next appointment to start whole milk. especially since your dd is on soy. but there are reasons why these guidelines exist.
I meant milk is lacking in iron and so on.
Did I miss something? Who said they are skimping because it is too expensive??
"She will be 1 in two weeks I started a little early.  I was running low on formula and refused to buy more."
Gnicole - shame on you - you should have realized it was me depriving my daughter of her Vitamins.  "Refused to buy more fomula" not due to the price do to the fact that she will be ONE in two weeks.  If I could not afford formula I would not have had a child.  

Anyway, the half milk/half formula is working good I suggest trying that out now that Avery is about to turn one.  Eva does not like milk alone.  I still give her Just formual before bedtime because after that bottle she does not eat for 10 hours.  I am so jealous that some babies like it cold.  That would make my life just a little easier if I did not have to warm it and naturally save me on the gas bill for using my stove so much, that is expensive.

Sorry this was my fault I should have known better to make that comment I was asking for it.

Good Question Newbie!  Let us know how you make out with the transition - I have to ask Eva's doctor when I go back for her one year about the vitamins - if she is not a good eater I am not sure what I will have to do but I will keep you posted.

You crack me up!! lol I am going to give Avery half formula, half milk tonight and see how it goes. I am fortunate that Avery likes her bottles cold now. It makes it very easy. Good luck and I will let you know how it goes!! :)
oh - Eva's pooo not so nice after the milk addition just as a warning.  P U

haha - Even she comes over to me like get this diaper off me mom.
How did you get her to take it cold?

I'm still warming Abby's milk and she'll be 4!!!  Want to transition Jake early.

He's so used to breastmilk and that is warm...Any time he gets formula it has to be warmed too.

Help me before I have 2 kids who need warm milk at age 14!!!
haha - dont feel so bad I am going to have to heat the bottle up when she is 14 because she hates the sippy cup STILL!  She transitioned to all her milestones so nice until this.  

I don't know Avery never liked her bottles really warm, she would push them away. I guess I just got lucky in that area. Still no sippy cup? You tried the only kind that Avery will drink out of right? At first I had to take the valve out and then when she got used to drinking out of it I put the valve back in. Now we have graduated to the sippy cup with the valve in! Yay!! It took awhile though! Thanks for the stinky poop warning!!! Avery farted in the bathtub the other night and she started laughing hysterically, it was so cute I have to admit! I think she was like, did I do that?! haha
OMG how cute - no she will not drink it without the valve either - she takes a sip and then puts it down and does not go back to it.  I have a three day weekend I will make that my focus this weekend.  
Good luck, I hope on Monday you will have a sippy cup drinker!!
Too cute fart story...my son farts and then looks at me strange when I laugh.  Like what the heck am I laughing about look.

When Avery farts she laughs. She is such a ham-definitely not a princess! Last night she was such a chatter box and I called a little while ago to check on her and she was chattering away. I think I am going to have a talker-just like her mom! lol
yes, Avery is not the princess type - She is going to be a jeans and barefoot girl.  Mine too.  She walks funny in a dress like I put some crazy thing on her. haha
ryan loves his sippy cup and loves milk i give it to him to get him use to it now at 10months - some may bash me but dr gave the ok.  i guess some go to it easy - ryan really doesn't like the bottle to much anymore only at night and a little during the day ryan drinks at room temp never warmed a bottle never :)
I think Avery and Eva are alot alike. lol  I told Shane, Avery acts more and more like him everyday! haha
Yep, same as Eva - she is her father - she looses interest real quick with anything.  She needs to be on the go and that is him.  Always running or doing something.  He was so excited when they said I had to have a c-section just because he could not take waiting and sitting still.  Glad we had girls to be just like them.  Maybe if we have boys next they will be like us. haha  
That is too funny!
My DD is a week a way from 10 months and has been on Good Start Soy Concentrated since she was 4 months old.  She had acid reflux really bad and would literally POLTERGEIST everytime she ate....so we switched her and she barely ever spits up now!  My DH and I are actually wondering if she is lactose intolerant because we tried the Enfamil Next Step which is milk based and she starts in with the puking again.  He has a 3 year old daughter who is lactose intolerant...so it wouldn't be completely surprising.

We are going to start her on straight soy milk this weekend....and if she looks good then we will keep it that way.  I have always "tested" the theories that docs put out there.  I always have them backed up by my mom...she is EXTREMELY well versed as far as children are concerned.  She has a large background in child development, maternal health, etc.  My daughter has already had bits of fish (barely ANY) and we always watch her for a reaction.  We also only allow her to have bits of fish that are okay to eat during pregnancy.  I also started her on baby food at 4 months.  My kid is extremely happy and healthy and ahead developmentally...so I don't think she is being harmed by it.

I've always heard of slow transitioning of formula to whole milk, over a week to see how your baby tolerates it. She/he may not always spit up with problems or be excessively gassy. Some get really loose bms that burn their bottoms.Meaning that you should start out 1/4 whole milk to 3/4 formula for a few days, then 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 formula for a few days. Next increase 3/4 whole milk to 1/4 formula for a few days.She/he may not always spit up with problems or be excessively gassy. Some get really loose bms that burn their bottoms. For some reason a few pediatricians are telling parents that they can replace the formula with whole milk immediately. Some babies may be ok with it, but I can tell you about the little boy that I babyset. The mom was told to make the switch and no need to transition. Poor little guy had loose diarrhea for weeks. His bottom was so excoriated that it took several weeks to heal. It blistered and bled. The worse thing that I've ever seen. He is 1 1/2 yrs old and still has light pink scar-looking places on his bottom. So sad.
I also introduced it slowly.  I gave Joseph yogurt as I was still nursing.  

And as for sippy cups, I didn't bother until my kids were about 17 months.  They took to it no problem.

I would definitely wait until your child is 1 to start introducing milk.  It's age 2 for honey and age 3 for nuts.

I tend to follow the latest recommendations of the Canadian Ped. Society, which is breast milk for 2 years (I only make it to about 18 months) no solids before six months.

I know that we were given solids much earlier and that we are fine.  I just view it from a natural point of view....in other words look at mammals, they only nurse until their children are able to chew...so it makes sense to me to raise my off spring that way.

Of course I am a cloth diapering, organic food eating, suburban hippy.....
My 15 month old is still on 2/3 formula 1/3 milk, I have had to increase the whole milk 1/2 ounce or so at a time leaving it a few weeks for him to get used to the change each time. He get's the runs really badly and the worst bleeding blistered diaper rash if I try to increase it more than that. I don't mind if he drinks fomula for a while longer. I buy the walmart parents choice formula and have actually found in terms of cost it is actually about the same (or maybe even less) as whole milk costs me as it is nearly $5.00 a gallon here and a large tin of the walmart formula is only $12.00!
Yikes, mum!! I'll have to meet you at the border with some milk That is one thing wal-mart supercenter hasn't jacked up too far. We get a gallon of whole milk for about $2.69.
Wow, Andi, that it cheaper than ours. It's over $3 just for 2% here.
edward had a similar problem with the runs when we started him on whole milk also. have you tried 2% or 1% and see how he does with that? the vitamens are usually close to the same as whole milk, its just less fat.