Maternal & Child Community
Hysterectomy at 27

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hysterectomy at 27

I was recently at the OBGYN because I was having terrible pain in my abdomen and very large pieces of tissue falling out during my period. I know that was TMI, sorry! So since I have endometriosis very badly my doctor told me yesterday that the only way to get rid of all of this is to perform a hysterectomy. I'm suppose to keep track of my periods the next 3 months and go from there. We're unable to have children so as it is so we've decided to adopt down the road if we want children because my husband has 2 from his proir marriage. My question is, does anyone know of anyone that has had a hysterectomy this early? I don't want to live with this pain the rest of my life and I've had 5 laporoscopies so far and that takes the endo away but only temporarily. I'm open to anyone's opinion on this one since I know nothing about it! Thanks!

Marcia
Would you like to explain about the vasectomy.......

Cinnimon is a lady on the forum that has a 10 month old little boy.....her husband had a vasectomy a while back.   BEFORE she got pregnant with her baby.
Sounds like you were very seriously TTC.  I would go get a second opinion from a fertility expert.  There are other options besides having a hysterectomy, possibly ablation?  You can also have endometriosis outside of the uterus, so even with the hysterectomy, still might not solve the entire problem.
I work at a lab and I HAVE seen hysterectomy's at your age and the other day on a 24 year old. But not very often. And the 24 year old had uterine cancer. She already had 2 kids also. I WOULD check with a fertility expert first though. There are so many other options to check first and you may still be able to have your own kids. I think hysterectomy's should be reserved to cases as above for someone as young as you (and me-I'm 26.). God bless you and please let us know what happens.
Yes I know of girls who have had to have a hysterectomy at a young age.(SIL was 32)(friend at work 37)
You have to do what is best for you and your health.
Adopting children is wonderful (my dh was adopted)
They are JUST like your own and love you just the same!
Best wishes to you!
I am so sorry for your situation.  Are you unable to have children because of the endometriosis?  Is this what your doctor says?  My cousin and aunt were told that as well, and my aunt has 2 children and my cousin has 1 and 1 on the way.  I commend you for adopting.  There are so many children out there needing homes and it takes very special and loving people to adopt.  God bless you and your husband.  

I have a classmate who had a hysterectomy last year (age 27).  I am unsure if it was medical or her choice.  Good luck.
I'm not sure what your relationship is with your doctor, but I would get a second opinion.  I know that's easier said than done, insurance being what it is.  Nonetheless, a hysterectomy is pretty serious.  I've known women with endometriosis, but none of them were told they needed a hysterectomy.  Perhaps you have a really severe case and that's why your doctor recommended it, but it certainly won't hurt to get another opinion.  Best of luck to you.
Thanks!! My husband had a vasectomy after him and his ex-wife had their son and then they got divorced. So when we got married and decided to try and have a child he had to get a reversal in 01/04. The reversal worked but we waited too long to try again and his tubes closed up. So we decided to try again and he had a 2nd reversal done 04/05 and we then did IUI and it was unsuccessful. So we've been trying on our own since and just found out the his tubes closed again. So we've decided to travel and enjoy each other now and adopt down the road. So now with my doctor telling me about having the hysterectomy we need to decide what we want to do. I jsut wasn't sure if it was too young to have that done at 27 or if these days it;s become "common".
Believe it or not my Dad wants me to get a second opinion also. But in my heart I love and trust my doctor very, very much and he's been through this whole fertility thing with us doing whatever he could. I appreciate everyone's advice. From what he said he would pretty much go in and take everything out. I know my neighbor was concerned because her mom was on hormone replacement after she had hers done but then again that was 25 years ago. I think since the fertiliy process was so hard on my husband and I that we're ok with adopting a child down the road. Some people dont' understand how stressfull infertility is on a marriage until they're in the situation themselves. It's not fun!!! I was reading about either a vaginal hysterectomy or a MIP hysterectomy. I guess depending on how they have to do the procedure depends on the recovery time etc.  I know a lot of people might not agree with me on this but between me, my husband and my doctor we all feel that we've don everything that we could at this point to help the endo but like my doctor said yesterday, with severity of my endo, he could do a laporoscopy every 6 months and it would help but only temporarily. So I've got a few months to see what happens. he would like me to wait until January to come back and talk to him since that's when I'm due for my annual but he said if the pain and bleeding gets too bad just to come in and we'd decide where to go from there.
My doc has suggested the same thing for me also.I was facing a 1 yr window before I had Arie we have since pushed it back a year or 2 but for me it will happen. I wish they would just do it now and get it over with. Right now I am free and clear of endo but as you know that may not last long.

I think once I start having the pain and severe bleeding I am gonna push for them to do it ASAP. I am tired of the pain and the drugs to control it. My docs biggest worry with being so young is the cancer worries. Since he would be doing a complete hyst including removal of the overies the worries of the replacement theripies and such are why he has pushed it back. My family has a history of breast and cervical cancer. I would sit down with you doc and discuss the procedure and all of it's ramifications first.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/npain06.htm

That is a very good article.
You will have to take hormones after a complete hysterectomy.  My mother had to have a complete one after her masectomy.  The drugs they give breast cancer patients to keep the breast cancer reoccurance down, have been shown to cause ovarian cancer sometimes, so they do the hysterectomy.  Good luck with you in making your decision.
Didnt know if you were being a smart ass!...lol
explaining that is..

I think I tell that story lots!! Sorry if its getting annoying I just want others TO LEARN FROM MY experience..lol.
I wasnt being a smart ass!  Although, I would rather be a smart ass than a dumb ass!
Yeah, the sperm donor thing is kind of well...put it this way, I understand why your husband would not feel right about it. Your egg and someone else's sperm...  I am just saying this is a lifetime permanent decision you are contemplating, and it will physiologically change you.  Just the fact that you posted on this site, says that you are looking for information and answers.  With a complete hysterectomy your body will need hormones, you are at a greater risk for osteoperosis, and all this at such a young age.  Trust me on this, get a second opinion on your case.  Hey, if the second doctor concurs with your first, you will know you made the best decision.  If there is a difference in opinion, you will feel more empowered to investigate further.
I understand what you're saying but the OBGYN that I'm dealing with  is also in practice with the fertility doctor we were seeing. And when we went to see him our only options were sperm donor or adopt. And my husband is very weird about the whole sprem donor thing and I'm not so sure I'd be ok with it. I appreciate everyone's concern with this matter. I know it's a very difficult decision to make and  hopefully my husband and I can sit down and talk about it before I go back to the doctor and make a decision.
i know a lady in her late 40's who had a hysterectomy at 27 due to uterine cancer. she was given the option of chemo/radiation or the surgery. she and i were recently discussing it and she said she has never ever regretted her decision and doesn't miss not having a period at all. i think she probably wishes she could have had a child of her own but says her DH is enough of a kid for her. LOL
Any time surgery is recommended, especially for this, I would get a second opinion.  You would not offend you doctor by doing so.  With a complete hysterectomy, you would actually, instantly, place your body into menopause, and would need hormones.  Ask anybody about menopause, it can be challenging for some.  A fertility expert is the route to go, not because you are ttc, but they deal with endometriosis on a regular basis.  If you do go through with the surgery, make sure you ask your doctor a lot of questions.  It's amazing what you are not told unless asked.  Once you have had the operation, carrying a pregnancy will be out completely.  There could be options for you and your husband out there.  I know the infertility issue is a hard one, and takes its toll on a couple.  My sister-in-law dealt with it years ago, and finally adopted.  Just don't sell yourself short now and regret it later, because you feel loyal to your doctor of many years.
I appreciate everyone's help on this. I'm going to talk to another doctor and see what he says. The whole sperm donor thing wouldn't work because my DH said that deep down in his heart he would know that it wasn't his and that would kill him. Which I can agree there. I've got some time to research this and see what my options are. Does anyone know of any good books or articles that I can read  about this? I know I've seen that depending on how bad things are there are like 3 different ways to do the hysterectomy. I guess it's just a matter of deciding what is going to be best for me. I agree with your friend on the DH being like a child!! MINE TOO!! I know the risk is there for different things because of the hormones but I think at this point I've been dealing with this for almost 10 years now and I just want some relief from it. I'm tired of taking pain medication all the time because the pain is so bad. I'm just hoping that things will work out for me. Thanks for all of your help!
It is hard for others who don't deal with the constant pain to understand your reasoning. My endo was diagnosed in 1997 but I was in pain for at least 2 years before that. It is a good idea to talk to another doc just to get all your options. I personally have done BCP, Lupron, and the Depo shot and I never want to do them again.

They were hard on my body and my mind and my relationship. I know when I do have the hyst there will be ramifications but I can deal with them above the constant pain and heavy bleeding anyday.
That's exactly where I'm at with this whole thing. I think I can deal with the consequences of a hysterectomy verses dealing with the constant pain and heavy bleeding. My husband has stood by me through this whole thing and he hates seeing me in pain and is willing to do anything to help me get through this. I understand everyone's concern and am thankfull for the help!! This isn't going to be an easy decision but like I said before, if it takes away the pain and heavy bleeding then I'm ok with that.
Do you have any regrets for doing it? I know my husband and I can't have children and we're ok with that. So adoption is what we're going to do down the road. I just want to make sure that it is the right decision for me. I trust my doctor 100% but there are some questions that I need to make sure to ask. How lond were you in the hospital? Did you have the vaginal or abdominal hyst? How long are you out of work? Just some general questions, sorry!
it's terrible i know. i was in pain everyday for 2 years. when finally i was told i needed a hysterectomy.i had it done 8 weeks ago and i'm 29 going on 30 in a couple weeks.i'll tell something though. ...........i havnt felt this good in a LONG time. finally no more pain, and no more period.
i have absolutly no regrets.i however have had 2 kids. but like my DH says, if it comes down to us wanting another we can always adopt. i am a huge fan of adoption because i myself was adopted.my surgery was on a wed and i was discharged on fri morning. i had an lavh because i have a high risk for hernias after surgery. i am soooooo glad i had an lavh, because abdominal is much harder and much longer recovery. 3 weeks after my surgery i hardly felt like i had surgery at all. if you are able to i would definatly have that. my husband and i resumed our sex life after i was cleared at 6 weeks post op. i did bleed but that is common, we tried again last night and everything was good.i do still have 1 ovary cuz they didnt want to throw me into surgical menopause. so if your ovaries are healthy i would recommend keeping them. i'm here if you want to talk some more. just let me know.
The best to you.  I do not have endom., so I cannot relate to the pain you experience.  I am just glad that you are going to get a second opinion on this.  Hopefully, just to affirm your decision.  The reason I am so adamant about a second opinion is that years ago, I had a transient case of thyroiditis.  My doc wanted to radiate it, so that it would not function anymore.  If I had gone through with the initial recommendation, I would be on thyroid hormone replacement the rest of my life.  As it turns out, I went to another doc and he said that my hyperthyroidism is a transient case, and that it would end on its own.  It did, and it was a whole year before my TSH levels were normal, but I am so glad I got that second opinion.  That little thyroid gland is a powerful gland, and when hormones are out of whack, nothing acts or feels right.  Same goes for your ovaries, hopefully, you can keep them.  Good luck.
I am not sure if this would help anything, but I am 25 and going to have a hysterectomy in a month. I am not excited about it, but I will do what I have to do and just deal with it the best I can. I have had two differnt opinions on wether I should have one or not, one doctor told me basically to just deal with my pain and the constant bleeding and keep taking birth control pills and hopefully one day they would stop my bleeding (been bleeding now for 4 months straight) but so far is has not. I finally worked up enough nerve to go to another doctor that told me he would do a D&C and if he didn't find anything, then the only way to stop my bleeding would be to have a hysterectomy. So here I am 25 and on my way to have my insides removed, not really what I wanted to do, but if it will stop the pain and the bleeding, I will do it! I have 1 daughter and am done having children, so in that aspect its not bad, but I never imagined going through this at my age.
Anyway, thanks for reading!
You may already know about this...I recently was watching TV and some show mentioned a birth control pill that is administered so that you continuously take the pill for three months then go off the pill for 7 days.  So, that you only have a period 4 times a year.  This is done for people that have endom.  Some doctors advocate it.  One doctor on the show did not think it was a good idea, because of the risks associated with the bc pill.  Have you heard of this?  Sounds like it would be a feasible solution.