Maternal & Child Community
I am REALLY scared and would like some info/help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

First thanks to anyone who reads this or replies. It might be a bit long winded but i just have to get it all out. My friends/hubby and family are probaby sick of listening to my millions of complaints and worries.   This is my second (and definately LAST pregnancy). I was really hoping to enjoy this one but alas it's not going to happen. I'm 27 weeks and have been having problems since the beginning. Bleeding at 9 weeks. We had a scare at  Swelling started at 19 weeks (which in my opinion is way too early for swelling to start). Now all of my swelling is in my legs and mainly frmo my knees up to my hips. The baby is also causing circulation issues which is causing my legs to turn blue/red and purple. NOT FUN! They feel like they're asleep and cold most of the time. Swelling is worse in the afternoon after work and almost non existant by morning. It is so uncomfortable though once it starts. I can barely bend my knees. I can't understand how my legs can be so swollen and yet have barely any swelling in my ankles and feet. Anyway this is my biggest worry, bases on the fact that early and alot of swelling could very well mean pre-eclampsia. Since 24 weeks my blood pressure has increased (not all the time but i do get higher readings). I ended up at the hospital one night with a nosebleed and really high pressure. Of course by the time i got there the pressure was normal and the bleeding has stopped. I've had on and off nose bleeds since and random spikes of higher blood pressure. My normal pressure is on average 115/65.  The night i had a nose bleed my pressure was 160/88. Since then the highest i've had is 140/77 but this is still high for me.  My doctor isn't worried..i've had no protein in my urine...she also did a blood test which showed blood platelets and liver function is well within the normal range. I'm just terrified this is all leading to pre-ecplampsia..HELLP or worse.  The latest symptoms is i have gained 4 lbs within a week which i also know is a sign of the disease. I have a doctors appt on Friday but i'm just getting so frustrated. I really would like some advice or to talk to someone who has had similiar problems. I've had four ultrasounds and so far they have all been fine. Baby is measuring a day ahead of what we thought. I just don't feel good this pregnancy and i'm so afraid it's all leading up to something. I've also had a nausea and been extremely tired since about 20 weeks. It really is challenge to get out of bed in the morning and by the time i get home from work i'm almost in tears the swelling is so bad. Anyway really looking forward to some advice or just hearing from those with similar experiences.
Thanks in advance.
I am so sorry to hear all your troubles with this last baby......... it will all be worth it in the end when you get to meet your beautiful bundle of joy. the only advice i have for you is try and stay positive in this hard time focus on the end result knowing that youa re doing the best you can to care for both you and baby.  I will pray for you and baby and that your pregnancy will only get better......... and that you iwll have a wonderful healthy baby  :)  i know how hard it can be when you feel as if no one is listening or even cares to hear you.  It's because they don't know the extent of what you are going through some people are just that way.  They don't understand, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU COMPLAIN OR TELL THEM, they just can't understnad unless it's something that has happend to them. sad i know but remember that there are others out there who HAVE and who ARE going through similar things as you........ you've come to the right place (this website) for support..... stay strong mama I hope someone on here reads this and can guide you through..... prayers are with you!!!!!!!
Thanks alot..i really appreciate you taking the time to read my post and commenting on it. I'm trying to stay positive...keep your fingers crossed
I haven't experienced your problems with swelling, but I have had complications with my pregnancies and one miscarriage, and I know what its like to have so many worries and questions.  If you don't feel like your doctor is paying enough attention, then its so much worse.  On my last pregnancy, when I miscarried, I too, had lots of concerns and my doc just kept brushing me aside, so I switched doctors.  I did some research and found a group that seemed really thorough and specialized in high risk pregnancies, and it has been a totally different world.  I guess what I'm saying is.. maybe you should get a second opinion; if a new doctor also doesn't seem worried, then maybe you'll feel better.  

Hope you solve these issues quickly and get to feeling better soon. I'll be praying that all goes well for you!  

Hi, sorry to hear you had alot of complications also. It's horrible. It's not that the doctor isn't really concerned. I'm just not showing the typical things that tell them you have pre-eclampsia or HELLP but the way things are going i can definately see me developing it. I have too much swelling and now i'm having blood pressure spikes. NO protein in the urine though which what they look for when diagnosing it i guess. I don't know...i'll definately be glad when i can hold this little bundle in my arms. Just hoping the outcome is good for me and baby. Then the rest of this will be worth while
Well best of luck to you and baby....I hope you start feeling better soon!
The swelling in just the legs can be normal. Unfortunately, it seems like the baby is sitting in a way that is simply preventing proper circulation and contributing to pooling and swelling. When I had preeclampsia, my feet AND my hands were very swollen. So far, it sounds like this is most likely due to where the baby is sitting. As long as they monitor you for protein in urine, it should be fine. Pregnancy induced hypertention, while not great, is different from preeclampsia. If your BP spikes, rest on your left side. When you have preeclampsia, even resting on your left side won't help BP levels much.

Nose bleeds are definitely normal for pregnancy.

I had preeclampsia with my 1st pregnancy, and watched everything carefully during the second. While my BP did creep up, and I had mild swelling, i didn't develop it again. my normal BP is very low as well- 110/60. So numbers like you are seeing did make me very nervous, but my OB wasn't worried about it. Apparently it is normal during pregnancy.
yeah i pretty much figured it's partly the way baby is laying..i'm carrying much lower this time and he feels really huge already.  It's just frustrating always feeling like this. It's like my legs are dead and cold not to mention HUGE..luckily so far  once i get home and relax/sit for a few hours it goes down conciderably. Yeah the blood pressure spikes seem to relate alot to mood...if i get upset it soars when normally it wouldn't budge. I just have to try to control it I guess..i'm keeping a close eye on it though and now going for bi-weekly appointments so i really hope they'll catch it if i do develop something. Anyway thanks for your reply.  It always helps to hear similiar experiences.