Maternal & Child Community
I am desperate, 7 week old son will only sleep on tummy, am I terrible,...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am desperate, 7 week old son will only sleep on tummy, am I terrible, how dangerous is this???

My 7 week old son will only sleep on his tummy, not in a sleep positioner, swaddled, unswaddled, in his car seat, swing, nothing but the tummy. I know that this increases the risk of sids so i really want to find a way for him to sleep on his back or even side but nothing is working!!!! Did any of you ever give in and let baby sleep on their belly? We have a movement  monitor in the crib made by Hisense. It detects baby moving and an alarm sounds if they stop. I hate to give up on back sleeping so any suggestions would be appreciated and also thoughts on belly sleeping.
my brother who is now seven, liked sleeping on his belly, she never had a movement monitor, he was always ok? have you tried putting your hand on his belly as he goes to sleep? im not sure what is the right age when they are allowed to sleep on there belly
I think it has to be your decision. My first two kids slept on their stomach because they didn't even come out with the whole "sleep on the back" until after my daughter was born and even then it was the back or side they were suggesting. My two are now 19 and 15. I too think they sleep better on their stomachs. When my three year old was born, I tried to dutifully put him on his back like they said and he really did not sleep as well as my first two. So I wound up putting him on his side a lot with a rolled up blanket behind his back or the sleep positioner on his side or back. I understand the fear of sids but I always felt like these babies already must have had something undetected maybe that caused the sids. I know they still don't know enough about it all. And it's true that the sids deaths have gone down since they recommended all babies sleep on their backs. You have to go with what you think is best. Best wishes for a happy, well rested baby! :)
My daughter was the same way. She is now 9 months old so of course she now positions herself the way she wants to. When she was about 8 weeks old I posted the same question as you. She would only sleep on her belly, she would scream for hours on her back-and I mean hours!! She also had reflux which is probably why she hated sleeping on her back. I finally had to let her sleep on her belly or she would just scream. The only other way she would sleep was in her carseat and now they say that is worse then sleeping on their bellies because it really restricts their airflow. I was scared to death to do it but we really didn't have a choice. At least you have the monitor. They say that some babies do have more risk factors for SIDS like low birth weight and premature babies are more at risk. You could GOOGLE SIDS and look at the risk factors but of course nothing is guaranteed. I know how scary it is but you have to do what you think is best. When I posted this question I did get some kind of nasty responses but you need to do what you feel comfortable with. Good luck to you! :)
I let my second son sleep on his tummy--it was the only way he would sleep.  If I put him on his back he would flail his arms and feet an dwake himself up all the time.  I felt forhim that was the best sleep position. But I think it is what you feel safe with.
i agree with the others in that this has to be your decision and as a mother, im confient you'll make the right one. my son was the same way. he was a terrible sleeper. when we first brought him home, everyone told me to sleep when he sleeps, well....that never happened! he would fall asleep in my arms and id lay him down and 20 min later, he'd wake up. finally, after a few weeks of 20 minute naps, my mother suggested putting him down for nap on his tummy and keeping an eye on him. she thought maybe he'd be more comfertable because we found that he tended to be more comfertable in our arms if he was laying upright against our chest than if we were to hold him like a baby. well, i was a nervous wreck but i did it and he slept for 2 hours! so, needless to say, he is a tummy sleeper. when he could roll over on his own, thats the first thing he would do when i layed him down. roll to tummy. my girlfirend who looked after him for me wheni first went back to work refused to put him down on his tummy for fear of sids, so at her house, he always slept in the swing. but, i would say, try it one day, when you are awake and close by and if you find she sleeps much much better, you may be better off letting her be. good luck!!!
sorry, i know you have a son...i meant *he and *him :o)
I would take naps with my son on my chest.  He would sleep like that for a good 2-3 hours.  It was the only way I could get a long nap.  I still do it and he's almost 3 months old.  That's my favorite thing to do with him, lay on the couch with him on my chest.
That is one of the risk factors is too deep of a sleep. This one is a no-brainer for me. If the SIDS rates have dropped by well over 50% in the populations who practice "back-to-sleep" but remain constant and higher in the groups that do not adhere to the new recommendations, why would you risk it? Once your child is old enough/strong enough to change their own position they can sleep how they want as it demonstrates the ability to lift their head to get out of a pocket of CO2.  But if they cannot it is your job as the mom to minimize the risk and that means back to sleep, even at naps.

Again, it is not my child and would not be my guilt if something happened that could have been prevented. And using "but my _____ slept on their belly and was fine" means nothing to the thousands of parents who have lost their child to SIDS. There were millions who went without carseats, too but would you dream of not putting your infant in one if they fussed when you put them in one?
i wouldnt tummy sleep right now, but here are a few things maybe to help sleep.  try playing some relaxing music, there are so many great cd's for baby lullabys.  rock them , use a binky if they take one.  my girl is 13 weeks and is just finally starting to sleep a bit more out of my arms. give the music and rocking a try.
I think there is a stuffed bear that makes white noise.  That might help, some babies find white noise soothing.  I'm lucky, because both of my girls naturally prefered sleeping on their back.
yes my daughter will  sleep with the shower running, the hairdryer, you can get a white noise cd as well.  
yep. that was edward too. he would lay on my chest or my husbands chest forever, but once you layed him down on his back, he would wake up uncomfertable. i have sooo many pictures of him as a newborn laying on our chests. he was such a snuggler :o) aw! i miss that....

anyway, the transition from chest to laying him on his tummy proved much more comfertable for him. still to this day he prefers sleeping on him tummy, with his butt up in the air. haha.
my oldest slept on her tummy from day 1....she now sleeps better than my younger two who slept on their backs.  It's really a personal choice.  If you choose to let him continue sleeping on his tummy make sure you have a breathable mattress, no blankets or toys/stuffed animals, no bumpers and that his clothes are snug fitting but not tight...just not loose enough for them to get bunched up.  
It is so scrumptious.  I would take him and put him on his tummy to nap but I would never walk away or leave him sleeping like that without me watching him.  I would do it once in awhile.  My son was able to lift and turn his head at just a few weeks old but I still wasn't comfortable with him being like that all night.  I'm a paranoid freak about SIDS.  He did sleep better and longer that way but he sleeps just fine on his back as well.  
edward's head and neck were bery strong from the beginning also. i felt much more comfertable with the idea of him sleeping on his tummy once he was more mobile and moved around better. when he was a newborn, i lost sleep worrying about SIDS. i felt i knew when he was strong enough to sleep on his tummy. it took me awhile to be 100% ok with the idea of it. your munchkin is sooooo cute by the way. he looks like a big boy, just like edward was! haha. good luck with him. he is adorable <3
Thank you.  He's huge.  He was 9 lbs 2 oz when he was born and 21 1/4 in. long.  He weighs like 15 lbs now.  He's a monster.  He's growing out of his 3-6 month clothes.  I'm scared to see what size he will wear at 6 months.  He will probably be in 12 month clothes.  Scary!!!  How big was edward?
i had to lett my son sleep on his tummy cause frm 2 weeks old cause there was no way hewas going to sleepon his back he would scream for hrs on end and so i had no choice but i kept checking on him and making sure he was ok and still today he sleep on his tummy and he is 4 months old , but now he knows how to get comfy
Be prepared to lose sleep (you will). Okay, every child is different and I respect the back-to-sleep movement! But not every child is wired the same way. You need to find out what is best for your family.

1). You have a movement sensor in his crib
2). You can check on him continually (this is where the no sleep part comes in)
3) Soon he'll be able to roll around on his own and it won't even matter
4). Keep pillows, comforters/blankets, crib bumper, animals, toys, EVERYTHING out of his crib

My firstborn slept on her tummy unless she was in my arms. I just watched her CLOSELY. SIDs happens to babies who fall asleep and when they begin to lose oxygen because they are suffocating, their brains don't tell them to wake up and move or cry. It's like a switch has gone off. So unless your baby has stopped breathing or has problems with waking up if something is bothering him, DO NOT put him on his tummy.

But if he's a healthy squirt who wakes up if something is blocking his oxygen, let him be.
Oh, and give him a binky (as unseemly as some mothers think them) they reduce the risk of SIDs as well.
One more thing (SORRY) is that SIDs doesn't just affect babies, it affects children as well. Like I said, it is something in their brains that gets turned off. Sleeping on their backs must reduce these risks to those types of children. Not to freak anyone out, but there is always a RISK somewhere, every day for our children.

Don't feel guilty if you put baby to sleep on tummy.
my little boy was the same. I bought one of those moniters and felt a bit better about him sleeping on his belly.

But I did this after the 3rd month. Before that, during the afternoon I would let him sleep on his tummy so that I could watch him and check on him. Then after the 3rd month I gave in and bought the movement monitor. He them started sleeping right thorugh the night, until the 8th month, then he decided that hewanted to sleep in bed with me (I really do not know how he got that into his head).

I did have a few scares with the monitir though, as he would sometimes move all the way up to the top and so no movement could be felt and the alarm would go off in the middle of the night.

These decisions are relly difficult to mak, even the pediatricians don know what's bst, one told me after the first few months it is fine to put them on the tummy, the othe was dead against it.
wow! he was a big boy. edward was 8 lb 10 oz and 201/2 in. at birth, but by 3 months old, he had already doubled his birthweight. once he started moving around though, he really began to stay around the 20 lb. mark. at his 1 year checkup he was 231/2 lbs. and 241/2 in. long. he is def. going to be tall. good luck with your little one. it goes sooo fast :o)
Yeah, my son is already 26 inches long.  Your son is sooo cute.  It does go fast.  It's funny because I miss him being a newborn.  Except the no sleeping part.  I don't miss that at all.