Maternal & Child Community
I can't take it anymore!?! self induction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Good morning ladies! I'll be 38 weeks on wed and i can't take it anymore! I'm tired of being pregnant and so anxious to meet my new baby boy! My husband is anxious also. So I was wondering what I can do to speed up the process. The only things I heard of are Spicy foods and walking. I tried both! And with no luck! I know this question might sound weird and i know most of you woman are going to tell me to just wait and when he's ready he'll come. I'm just so impatient! :) But if you ladies still want to tell me to wait I'll understand lol! Thank you in advance for replying ot my message. By the way....how's everyone doing today?
drink a shot a castor oil and you will see your baby by the end of the day!!!! That really works! Good Luck!
Well I heard that if you have intercourse and then masterbate it will bring on contractions. Something about the semen and the intense O that masterbation (masturbation) brings on.
also, if you have a breastpump, pumping your breasts will stimulate contractions which may lead to labor!
OMG. I was the same way at 38 weeks..but try to wait it out at least another week.
Dont rush the little one. He/ She is still in there because it's not time yet.  Let them continue to grow just another week or two. When its time, the baby will come!
I was induced two tiems by my doc and never even progressed.  So I ended up w/ a c-section, but I think back adn think if I would have been able to hold out a little more mother nature would have brought him to me when he was ready to come out.

GOOD LUCK!
nipple stimulation is not recommended as a home induction because it can bring on very strong contractions. Some dr's will use it as a means of induction but not very many of them. You should only use nipple stimulation with the advice of your dr.

There is no "real" home induction. They only thing you can do is try some of the differnt things suggested. Your baby won't come until it's ready. Some women go to 40+ weeks. Did your dr say if you were starting to dilate or anything??
Thanks for the good luck. The castor oil thing seems good! lol! That comment got me all excited! I know in my heart I should wait. I know that its better to wait. But like I said impatient me! :) Quick question is castor oil and mineral oil the same thing? I thought it was but now i'm not too sure. I've tried having sex....not masterbating (masturbating) after though. thats a new one to me! for the ladie who told me of the castor oil did you do that personally? And for the ladie who had a c section did everything go well for you? it sounds like everything went well i just want to make sure.
I personally didnt take castor oil, but my best friend did, her mid-wife told her she could do that and she did and that day she had her baby...supposively after you drink it (it is really thick and nasty) it brings on contractions while cleaning you out! You can get it in the pharmacy in walmart i know by the laxatives and stuff...at least you wont have to worry about having a BM in the middle of pushing! Anyway, I do now that it works, she told me she took it and then i got another call about 2 hours later and she was in the hospital fixing to give birth! Good luck and I hope this helps. I am not sure if it is the same as mineral oil...thanks
When's your due date?

When I went in to my doctors with both my children close to my due date, I wasn't dialated or anything, he had me go get induced.  

It's a good thing too, both my kids ended up being 8 lbs.  Waiting until their due date would have made them huge!

My sister drank the castor oil, and had the bay within 24 hours. Personally, I think drinking castor oil is worse than staying pregnant, but give it a try if you can swallow it. It will also stimulate your bowels, so just be aware.
LOL! Yeah I'm not too sure about the castor oil now lol! The doc didn't say I was dialted. When he checked my cervix he said All I got was my finger tip up there. he never even siad if my baby was engaged or not. i feel like he is and my husband said that my tummy looks lower and i really feel like he's engaged.
Just a note on the castor oil thing - I tried that with my first at 40 weeks - spent the evening in the bathroom, but still no contractions. :)  I ended up going into labour at 41.5 weeks... about 10 days later!  Good luck!
omg! lol! 10 day's later. so i guess it doesn't work for everyone. I'm still aprehensive to taking the castor oil. i think i'll wait till after my docs on thursday. is 38 weeks a safe time to have a baby? i really want him out now.....but i think i'll be waiting.
I know you are anxious, but try to enjoy your last few days/weeks of SLEEP and doing some last minute things that you won't want to do when he is here. Enjoy those last movements in your belly and the fun and peacefulness that it brings. Just a thought to get you through! Congratultions in advance!
i hear ya.  I will be 39 weeks wednesday.  i was so scared of delivering but now that sleeping and moving has become much more difficult i am ready.  i am excited and ready.  however other than the sex and o stimulating contractions i am going to just sit back and suck it up and wait.  i am due in nine days and i know it could be longer but wishful thinking i keep telling myself nine more days...nine more days.
A spicy curry and lots of intercourse is the safest way!!!
Nine more days! Congratulations! i hope you wont have to wait the nine more days! I hope your birth goes well also. I've been having so much sex and eating spicy foods! (which i hate) plus i think the baby hates them too. lol! but i've decided just to wait. he'll come when he comes. maybe he'll want to come out soon....like now lol!
I am glad you decided to wait. Castor oil can be dangerous and the effectiveness has never conclusively been proven. Think of it this way, if the best tools modern medicine has to offer can fail if the timing isn't right, why would it be any different with the homegrown methods?

Your body knows what it is doing, there is a reason peanut has come yet. Let him cook a little longer, he'll come when the time is right. Be patient, spend the remainder of your pregnancy getting those last minute things in order. Trust me, once he gets there, you will be consumed with all things baby!!

Andi
Given the risks to the baby of having a bm in utero as Andi said, I think I'd stick with an enema (one that only affects me LOL) if I was goofing around with this at all.  Would totally hate to do anything risky for the peanut.  (Or basketball at this point.)
jUST AN OVER THE COUNTER ENEMA?
Yep castor oil did it for me too, I was 19 at the time and was full term anyway.
Although I was getting exhausted I was curious to find out whether it was a rumor or not.
I can tell you it works so I do not recommend anyone taking it just to test it like I did 13 yrs ago.

I had heard that castor oil can actually be somewhat of a problem to the baby, who also gets the bowels clean-out effect.  Has anyone else also heard this?
Yeah, that is why most medical professionals advise against it. If the baby has a bm in utero, it can be a major issue. Why risk it? Just be patient, baby will come when baby is ready. I was induced with both of mine in the end. Consider it a test of your patience, you will need a lot fo it over the next 18 years (and then some)

Andi
I inserted one primrose oil gell tab nightly for one week prior to delivering my first, I plan on doing it again with this one in about 7 weeks, I'm due in 9 weeks. They are sold everywere (wallmart). It's supposed to ripen the cervix, but who knows if that had anything to do with me going into laber a day before my due date, or the intense walk I took the moment I went into laber. A friend of mine told me about the caster oil thing, sounded to icky to me. She also told me about Black Cohosh, any of you have experiences with that? It's another for sure thing, but I don't know how it works.
Dafest way is to laugh, walk, take a drive with your DH up to the mountains, the high elevation can cause you to go into labor...eat chocolate, have sex, and relax.....
two co-workers of mine took primrose oil capsules starting at 36 weeks and said their labor was very easy - made the cervix like butter...have you ever heard of this working?
Castor oil! try mixing it with orange juice, its not quite so hideous then....lol, it worked for me, the next day labor started!  Good luck!!!!
Ask yuor dr to strip your membranes and give yourself an enema, but it has to be a big one.  That always got me going.
Hi my due date was up but  because to normal american measurement standards my baby was too small for an induction so they said they'd keep it in longer. I was a month over due and trust me I tried everything. Still nothing. and I kept having labor pains. After a month I was induced at 5cm. the day before I had another ultra sound to where they were saying I should go another month. 2 months past due!!... In my case nothing worked. I had to have a C-Section which could of been prevented due to a large baby for me.
My friend had a couple of cups of raspberry tea leaf tea and went into instant labour. My mom was scrubbing cupboard and the same happened. It was funny, when my friend got home from hospital, the raspberry tea leaf tea cup was still sitting on kitchen shelf.
*lol*
Meconium is not proven to be related to castrol oil induction. Meconium is usually possible for baby's born over 40-42 weeks. Castrol works for some not all for i am dilated and havin strong braxton hick contractions and i tried it two nights in a row. The first night sorry if to much information but it jus gave me bad diarrhea that night and the next morning the second night it did nothin for me. Though alot say it works wonders. You can buy  it at wal mart. if you do decide to do the castrol oil induction please make sure you drink plenty of fluids for it can make you dehydrated due to the diarrhea and dehydration will make the uterus contract but thats not good because that could cause meconium..
Thought I would put my 2 cents in about the castor oil.

Yes, it will cause you to have diarrhea, but can also cause your baby to have diarrhea while still in the womb. This first stool, meconium, can cause the baby to be born with aspiration pneumonia.

Castor oil is not the recommended method.
I'm 38 weeks 4 days(21 Nov 2011)pregnant .Went to see my doctor today and she told me to wait for another 9 days.Can't l speed up labour???? I can't wait anymore.
i am 38w4d n 3cm dialated n %56 effaced n dnt know what i'm stationed @ but i am getting very impatient due to back pain history n i dnt kno if i had my bloody show.is there any safe self induction methods i could do to hurry it along?i walk every morning n sometimes in the evenings if i have time n tried nipple stimulation n the contractions start n then quit n i dnt think i wanna use the caster oil either.anybody have any pointers?