Maternal & Child Community
I could really use some insight!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I could really use some insight!

I turned 27 weeks on Monday and this is my first preg.  I started to have contractions yesterday and so my doctor told go into L&D and get checked.  The baby looks good, and of course while I was hooked up there were no more contractions so they sent me home and told me to follow up with my doctor today.  I went in and he checked my cervix and he said it was soft and that I was 1/2 cm dilated.  All he basically said was to go home, take it easy, and return Monday.  He told me to call if I had more than 2 contractions a day and I'd go back down to L&D.  Is this something I should be worried about?  My sil said that it meant I'd go into premature labor.  He didn't say I needed to be on bedrest or anything.  Please, if anyone has had something similiar, I'd love to hear something positive!
I forgot to ad that my doctor said that my baby has dropped.
Doesn't necessarily mean you WILL go into premature labor.  I was dilated w/ my last at 24 weeks.  I was in the hospital, cervix open, bleeding from w/in.  I was 4cm for the last two months and 6 cm at the end when they finally said ok and let me go =) I'm not saying you WONT go into premature labor..but just letting you know that I started dilating early w/ all of my babies.  Best of luck to you! keep us posted! =)
thanks so much.  I too am a worrier.  I guess that I thought once you start dilating the baby is soon to follow.
I know the anxiety you feel worrying about this.  With my first pregnancy I regularly had 5-10 contractions a day from 20 weeks on (they call them braxton-hicks, contractions that don't really have much on the uterus).  My cervix didn't dilate until a couple of weeks before delivery, though, and baby stayed high until last few weeks too.  With my second pregnancy, different story, still lots of contractions from about 20 weeks on, but more than before, especially on days I did too much or was tired.  Baby dropped around 28 weeks and stayed seriously low until the end, and I started to dilate.  I had a full-blown panic attack one day - on summer holiday with husband and daughter - imaging the worst, fears going wild...  But I was truly ok.  I got it together again, got lots of information from my midwife and other sources, took it easy for the rest of the pregnancy and I was fine.  I was dilated 1 cm at 28 weeks, 2 cm by around 33 weeks, and then started effacing too.  But I delivered a perfectly healthy full-term baby at 40weeks !
You said your doctor said no more than 2 contractions per day.  I guess there are so many variables... I my case, my midwife said 8-10 contractions per day, or more than 4 in an hour - that was the limit beyond which I had to call her and lie down (not necessarily in that order). I think I contract easily and a lot without having much impact - every woman is different.  I also learned that it's normal for the uterus to contract - it does so all the time, even when we're not pregnant.  The braxton-hicks serve to
I was having contractions 2 1/2 minutes apart when I went to the hospital and I was not dilating with them.  They were true contractions and not braxton hicks.  I was in labour for almost four days (doctor kept inducing with gel)but I only managed to get to two dilated before the nurse came in and asked me to get on my hands and knees to bring the labour on.  It sure came on but then my heart rate and the babies started getting down so I ended up having a section.  I was told by the doctor that you can be dilated to two for awhile before you deliver.  I had dropped when I was 7 months along and the doctors thought I would deliver early.  I went into premature labour a couple of times but the labour stopped on its own.

I am a worrier too.  If you have any uncertainties about anything then ask your doctor.  It will help you to relieve some of the worrying.