Maternal & Child Community
I don't ovulate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I don't ovulate

When I was 19 I had a doctor tell me there was a chance that I may never have kids because even though I had my first period at 11 I do not get my period on a regular monthly basis unless I am on the pill.  In fact, I am lucky if I get my period at least once a year without the help of the pill.  I found another doctor and they said that I would have options when I wanted to get pregnant.  I am now 23 and married, and I have been off the pill for 6 months.  I have asked my doctor what I can do because  my husband and I are trying to get pregnant with no luck thus far.  My doctor says to just track when I ovulate for now, but over the past 6 months I have not ovulated.  I just want to know if anyone has been in this predicament and been able to get pregnant. I work with children every day of my life and it would kill me if I could not have a child of my own.
Have you tried seeing a fertility specialist or maybe a doctor that can prescribe something to help you ovulate? like clomid maybe? Sorry you are going through this...
My doctor does not want to prescribe anything to me (as well as another doctor that I saw for a second opinion) until I have been trying for a year and the same goes for the fertility specialist.  They all know my history and have seen all the tests that I have had done.  So far they can not find a reason for why I am having the problems I am having.  There are no cysts, not aproblem with the thyroids, and nothing to do with endo. I know I am young and the doctors want me wait a year, but my fear is that I will never get pregnant.
Hi, I can sincerly say that I know how you feel. I went through the same thing you are going through now and it is very fustrating.I also didnt ovulate and had very irregular periods. I was put on clomid for 2 cycles and I got pregnant but had a miscarriage. I decided to go off the clomid for a while and to my surprise my periods became very regular then I could pinpoint when I was going to ovulate. Today, I am  currently 26 weeks pregnant with a baby boy.Just never give up hope because I never thought I would be able to have kids even though I'm only in my 20's. I would suggest clomid to anyone who isnt ovualting.Good Luck and I wish you luck.
Thank you for the vote of confidence!  Congratulations and Good Luck!!!
I am in a similar situation. I waited 17 months and am now seeking testing and treatment. It will still take me an additional three months or longer to get into a fertility specialist. For now, they are testing both my DH and I. I understand your agony and it is VERY frustrating to be told you are not ovulating. I wish you the best.
Find another dr.  There is no reason they shouldn't begin troubleshooting this right now.  You won't get pg if you don't ovulated, and they know that.  A fertility specialist took me in at 5 months ttc.  Call around to different dr. offices, and ask around.  
Thanks for the advice.  I will definately look for another doctor, and in the mean time question my current doc.
How do you know you don't ovulate? Do you use the Ovulation Test Strips? I don't think I ovulate either..we've been trying since July 06 and nothing...my doc says the same thing. Wait for 1 year and then we'll start testing to see what's going on. Why do they do that? Ugh.

Oh a different note, if I am pregnant now I will be due on Jan 26, 2008. That is the birthday of my late father-in-law. How special that would be, huh? Guess I'll find out in a couple weeks. Another UGH!!
I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!!!
I know that I don't ovulate because they have been doing tests on me since I was 16 years old because from the age of 11 (when I first started menstruating) and the age of 16 I only had 4 periods.  They did ultrasounds of my ovaries, which are totally full.  They did blood tests and monitored my periods for 3 years.  Yes I have taken the ovulation kits and let me tell you first response is eating away at  my paycheck.  It has been three months since my last period (if you want to call what Ihad a period) and I have been using ovulation kits every week since just to see if anything has changed, and nothing has. No ovulation!
I don't know why the docs say to wait a year if it hasn't changed in 12 years it is not gonna change in the next 12 months and I don't want to wait a year to get try to get pregnant. UGH!
Just curious if you ever got pregnant. I was recently diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. I never had any signs until I couldn't become pregnant. Im so frustrated and sad. My twin sister just had her second baby, I am very happy for her but i'm so depressed. I want a baby so bad. Say a prayer for me.
Ashley
hi i am in the exact same position me and my partner have been trying for 12 months now i have always had irregular periods unless on the pill i have only had three this year but have just been told today that i dont ovulate but doctors cant refer me to a specialist untill my my partner has had a test frustrating, i was so upset today and found out that my best friend is preg that was so hard to take in because she only been off the pill for a month lucky hey. anyway i hope we find a way to get preg soon becuz it feels like 1 long big waiting game
I AM IN THE SAME BOAT, LOW ESTROGEN, INSULIN RESISTANT, LOW IRON, PCOS, ENDO.  ITS NEVER ENDING,  BEEN TTC FOR OVER A YEAR NOW,MY DH AND I JUST STARTED ON STAMINOGRO. I HOPE IT WORKS.  DONT WANT TO GO BACK TO THE DOCTOR OR GYNAE UNTIL I FALL PREGANT YOU PAY LOTS OF MONEY JUST FOR THEM TO TELL YOU TO KEEP TRYING THERES NOTHING WRONG, BUT HOW CAN NOTHING BE WRONG OF YOU CANT CONCIEVE (conceive),    DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY OTHER VITAMINS I CAN TO TRY AND OVULATE AND GET PREGGIES FAST
All I can say is:  doctors are wrong sometimes!  I have POCS and the doctors told me it would be really hard to have kids.  But whenever I was ready we could do treatment.  I cannot tell you how much I cried about this, I mean, I'm 27 years old and never been pregnant.  Well, not even 2 months later my little miracle happened and I am now almost 14  weeks pregnant!  After those doctors made me cry so much!  Haha.  Keep your head up!  And pray about it!  It can happen to you!
If you dont ovulate what do the stripes say ? is it just blank or what? I have been on birth control about seven years now im 25 i started having my period when i was about 12 and it was really irregular maybe once every year or two. i just went off my pill a few days ago to see if i could have my period by myself i have poly cyctic also. i have been told i may never have kids. they have me on a sugar pill for it they say it makes the cyctes smaller?  im hoping to get pregnant on my own without meds? anyone think i have a chance? i have no insurance so i havent been to the doctor in a long time for a ultra sound. i always have under active thyroid but not sure if that effects it or not? but i do take meds for that.
Hey danielle0817 we are in the same ground, but sad coz im older than you, im now 32, my period stop during my 20's and after that inever had, sometimes only white period most of the time after days of sex from my husband.im trying all my best to get pregnant but untilnow i cannot? Is your period stop also? How we wish we had even just one baby.. Keep praying, thisis our best medicine... Its me shy