Maternal & Child Community
I failed my glucose test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I failed my glucose test

I was wondering how many of you failed the first glucose test but then didn't have gestational diabetes when you had the 3 hour test done? I'm so upset. I had a feeling I'd have elevated levels. It's been too easy so far. I knew there'd be a catch! Any stories would be appreciated. Thanks.
Debra :o(
You know with my first pg I did not fail at all so I was very surprised when I had one with my second pg and I failed.  I went back for the 3 hour test and ALL WAS FINE.  I did NOT have the gestational diabetes and was SOOOOOOOOOOO thankful because I could NOT give up my pasta.  Thank God with my DS I did NOT crave chocolate.  O well I guess it would not have mattered.  Did you eat or drink anything before your test.  I had a piece of gum before the first test and they told me that could have done it.  Good Luck I hope the 3 hr test comes back good for you.
I pray your 3 hour comes back normal but......just to let you know, it is not the end of the world like I thought it would be! I have easily adjusted to everything. It took me a week to get things where I knew what I could and could not eat but after that it was nothing. The main thing I have to watch is bread and potatoes. And the finger pricking is nothing. I started off doing it 4 times a day and now she lets me do it 3 times a week because my sugars have been so good. And by the way...... with my second child I did fail the first test and pass the 3 hour. So good luck! O yea, I still can eat sweets just in moderation. It is the carbs you have to watch. I have found the Adkins dessert bars really are not bad. Danielle
Hi!! I took the first test and failed it. Then i took the 3 hr and passed. It was a little high but still in the normal range. I did it at 26 weeks, which was a little early, so i will do it again soon (im now 30wks. Good luck
Hey its actually not as bad as it seems!!
first 2 pregnancies i was ok -this one I had gestational diabetes for the last 6 weeks, I think the doctors freak us out what will happen etc.. I failed the last test, I didnt have to do injections just watch my diet (which really isnt that bad) once you get use to knowing what you can and cant have  and test your sugars after u eat.
Baby was fine. Sounds worse than it actually is
GOOD luck on your 3 hr test
Thanks you guys. The thing that bums me out the worst is giving up the bread and pasta. I'm a stickler for not eating what they say you shouldn't and then some. I don't eat any artificial sweetner, msg, cold cuts because of nitrates, and that doesn't include all the regulars they tell you not to eat. So I have been saved with pizza and pasta. I'm just so convinced I'll fail the 3 hour test that it's as if I already have. I take that next Wednesday, the 16th. Oh, and I didn't eat anything before this test. I hadn't eaten after 8 pm the night before and drank the drink at 8:30 am, so that's part of why I'm not that hopeful. But, I'm sure I'll adjust, I always do. And I will do whatever is best for the baby. I just thought I had 12 more weeks before I had to start my diet :o)
Debra
Try not to be hard on yourself-sometimes no matter how hard we try to take good care, strange things still happen to our body.
Your babe will still be just fine.
Hopefully you're 3 hour will be ok-if not, I know you are right-you will cope!
HUGS
with my first 2 kids I failed the one hour and passed the 3 hour... now of course I failed them both, but shubunkin is right, its not the end of the world and you actually end up feeling better anyway after you start eating the "right" stuff.

good luck hon!! I'll be thinking of you.
Thanks. I'm starting to feel a little better about it. And if I do have it, I'll be bugging the hell out of you guys with questions!!
i failed my first test with my second child...but they think it was because of when they did the test.  a lot of things can make you fail the test.  mainly what and when you have eaten that day.
good luck
~nanci
I hadn't eaten since 8 the night before and I drank the drink at 8:30 am and had my blood drawn an hour and 15 minutes later. It was as if I had fasted. That's why I'm convinced I'll fail the 3 hour too. But, it's not over till it's over :o)
I still haven't taken mine so I will let you know how it goes. I mean it could be something much worse right. It sounds like controling it is pretty easy. I hope you pass the 3 hr with flying colors. When do you have to take it?
well even if you do fail the second test, think of it this way....it will help you control those last pounds of weight gain!  as long as you follow your instructins you'll be fine and if you keep it under control you won't get a huge baby.
good luck the 3 hour test is boring, and of course so fun getting your blood drawn every hour.

oh btw, did they tell you what your first score was?
~nanci
So sorry to hear about the test.  I had mine and it was fine.  And, I am hardly the model for perfect eating, I do have my sweet tooth that I manage to indulge frequently.  Good luck.  jenni
I thought you had to take the test by 28 wks. Aren't you almost 29?
Wow 146 my doc says anything over 141 not 105. I guess it depends so you would be vover for my doc but just barely.

Not sure when my test is. I am gonna find out today after the u/s.
I was just reading on babycenter.com and it says typically over 140, so I guess my doc is ultra careful. Makes me feel a bit better about my number. I now feel like there is a chance I'll pass the 3 hour test. And the 3 hour test has the 1 hour level at 180 or higher as a fail, so if I stay consistent, I shouldn't be over 180 if I was 146 this time. I'm still going to take this as a wake up call and change some of the ways I've been eating and even if I pass the 3 hour test, keep trying to watch what I eat better. Less carbs.
Nanci, I had 146. They said anything over 105 is elevated.
Tresa, I have my test on Wednesday the 16th. Probably won't get the results till the 21st due to my doc being closed on Fridays and the weekend. When is yours?
Jenni, I so feel that it's because of all the bread and pasta I eat, but I'm hearing from other people who eat that way that they were fine, so it could just be the way my body reacts to pregnancy: Possible diabetes and I stop my watches ;o)
Hi Debra!
I am in the same boat.  Just found out that I failed the first screening, and am taking the three hour tomorrow morning.
good luck to you and thanks to everybody for posting.  If I have to follow a better diet, maybe that's not so bad :)