Maternal & Child Community
I hate my iud

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I hate my iud

I have had my iud for a year and a half now. I hurt all the time and its not even worth it! I cannot be on any other birth control because of my history of blood clots, so pretty much i am a lost cause. I have had so many side effects form this iud too. I have gained 25 ounds since ive had it, im very irritable and depressed. And to mention i hurt so bad the next day after sex. Im fed up with it and am ready to have it take out.
Are you on the copper IUD or the Mirena?  I have the copper IUD and it hasn't caused any weight gain or hormonal shifts.  The copper IUD has no hormones and perhaps if you are not on this one, your doctor can switch it.  
Nevermind I see you have the Mirena.  Try switching to the copper, there are no hormones and so you won't have any of these side effects.  The only side effect I have are yeast infections more frequently.
I agree with what mami said. The copper IUD has no hormones. I loved it. If you like the idea of the IUD then this is the one to go with. There are some people that have bad experiences with the Mirena IUD. I am one of them.
Yea i love not having to worry but the pain and side effects are unbearable. I will keep in mind the copper iud and talk to my dr about it. Thank you!
I had the mirena for about 5 mnths and I had trouble with it. I broke out in rashes. I had stomach pain a month after it was implanted I got cysts on my ovaries which turned into endometriosis and I had to get my rt. ovary removed. I had the mirena taken out finally even tho the doc said it had nothing to do with it. The pain is gone.
Thats what i dont undersatnd, i didnt have any problems until i got this mirena. No pain, perfect weight and everything, then i got it and boom...it all hit at once. And my dr said it had nothing to do with the mirena, sounds kinda odd if you ask me....i didnt have any problems until i got it and it has nothing to do with it...thats bull...!
I thought the same thing. I gained over 10 pounds. I was walking evry day and drinking only water and eating twice a day and still gained. Mirena removed and diet pills and I lost the weight. I really think it needs to go off the market. I know it was the mirena symptoms don't just pop up a week or two after it is implanted. I would check to make sure you don't have endometriosis or cysts just to make sure. I honestly think if I would of had it removed when the cysts  appeared I wouldn't have gotten the endometriosis
Yea i never had ANY problems until i got that in. He already told me i had endometritis, thats the beggining stages of the endometriosis. I am making an appointment sometime here soon to get it out. I cant stand it any longer. Thank you!
i absolutely loved my copper iud BUT about a year after i had it put in..all of a sudden i started to smell funny...im talkin ew gross disgustingly funny..fishy/like something crawled up there and died..i get that im being a tad bit gross by putting it that way, however it totally started ruining my sex life...ive been tested for everything..even though ive been with the same partner for years..i tested possitive for BV but i took the meds as directed and still the smell continued! i think the iud does a great job as far as keeping us pregnancy free but i wont have to worry about that anyway if it keeps making me smell like this..its awful..makes me feel so terrible and unsexy...im having mine taken out this week because my doc said it could be an infection in my cervix..theyre known for that too..one of the oh so many side effects! i wish i could keep it cuz the other side effects didnt really bother me...but this smelly thing has got to go!
I am considering having an IUD inserted next week, I am 25 yrs old with 1 child I have been with the same partner almost 4 yrs now and I have been on the pill for 3 1/2 yrs. The first pill I was on gave me horrible mood swings and made me gain about 20 lbs. Also I had no sex drive whatsoeVer I mean NONE I stopped taking the pill for 3 months and LOVED it my boyfriend and I had sex like 5 times a day and I lost about 10 lbs. I got on a different pill and have continued to drop weight but I have no sex drive again. Also my boyfriend thought I've been cheating because I'm not as "tight" as I used to be also sex is painful because I don't have any self lube anymore. Talked to my DR she said everything is a side effect of the pill incl not being "tight" anymore ( apparently it cuts off a lot of blood flow to my vaginal walls and muscles) I want to try the IUD but I am terrified that since I have fairly short I insides and my boyfriend is fairly large that he will hit it during sex and it will stab me or hurt very bad. Also I used to have frequent UTI's until I stopped using tampons. I feel a IUD is my last hope at ever enjoying sex and at saving my relationship because let's face it guys do not want someone who doesn't want and enjoy sex! Its effected his self esteem a lot too. I'm really stressed over everything and Could really use advise.. I don't want something that's not going to help or that's going to make it worse. My b.f always asks what's the point in taking the pill when we have sex maybe once a month now. Any suggestions??

Did you get an IUD? I have similar problems with bc pills - weight gain, loss of sex drive, depression... Etc. I just got an IUD put in yesterday, The copper one. I'm hoping it will be good got me. I'm 24, don't have kids. So far the cramps aren't too bad considering I just got it.
I'm scared about when I do have sex with my boyfriend... Will it hurt? I've heard you can bleed after sex and it can hurt... I hope not or what's the point of an IUD? I hope all hoes well for me because the insertion was so painful (it was hard to open my cervix, she had to try twice) that I dint wanna have to go back for 5 years. If anyone has any experience with sex and an IUD it would be great to hear! Thanks :)
I have had the copper IUD in for about 6 months so far. I had problems with hormonal bcs in the past. So far, it is what it said... heavier flow, cramps are a tad bit worse, but thats why I love heating pads and baths! As far as pain during sex... no worries there.. you can't even tell it's there. It was a good move for me so far.
I'm 26yeas old, I have a 5year old child. I got the IUD 2 years ago. The only positive thing I have to say is I'm not pregnant. I believe I got every side effect you can obtain. Pain is horrible (feels like contractions) my husband was bleesed so it hurts like hell during sex and afterwards. I get yeast infections often.  Because kids are expensive I'm keeping it.
I am so glad I found this site.  I thought something was wrong with me.  I hurt all of the time too.  I have reoccuring yeast and bladder infections.  I thought I had some sort of disease even though I know that is impossible. What has been your solution?  Are you fighting through the discomfort?  
I absolutely agree with you the same exact thing is happening to me. Its horrible I never had this problem until now