Maternal & Child Community
I have pcos, can I still be ovulating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I have pcos, can I still be ovulating

Hi, I am new here and very confused. I recently found out that I have PCOS, I am 27 and have been ttc for over a year. I will be seeing a fetility specialist in about two weeks. My problem is that I thought you don't ovulate if you have pcos, but my temp. charts and clear blue fertility monitor tells me clearly that I am. I am also using progesterone cream once I confirm ovulation has taken place via temps. Does anyone know if I am really ovulating and should continue or stop using the cream? Thanks for your help, I am going crazy.
My doc told me that even though I have PCOS that I may ovulate on some months and it is still possible to get pregnant on your own.  However, there is an increased risk of misscarage for us PCOS suffers because our eggs sometimes are not the best quality. I found a great website for people with PCOS last night. I have been researching up a storm to try to figure out my options. The website is

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/PCOS-success2.html

There are many women who have success getting pregnant one way or another. In fact some women just lost 20 lbs and that was enough. I am on my 4th day of the South Beach Diet right now. I am starving but it will be worth it if I get pregnant in the end.  We need to keep in touch because I took was just diagnosed last week and I am 28 years old. It would be neat to have someone to talk to about this!
Oh My Gosh!! I feel so emotional right, no one I speak to about this seems to understand, my dh is trying to but doesn't want to talk about it too much until we see the fertility specialist.  I am so happy that you responded and would love to keep in touch.  How long have you been trying and do you have a lot pcos symptoms?
I hope my post doesn't confuse you more. But I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. There are differing degrees of PCOS so it depends on how severe your case is many times as to if you are ovulating or not. I don't think mine was extremely severe. If you are charting etc and everything appears like it would for normal ovulation, then you probably are. PCOS does not necessarily mean that you will never ovulate or that you will have a m/c. I was always told by my doctors (a few different offices) that PCOS does not have any higher chance of m/c than anyone else, it just means you most likely ovulate less than normal and that makes it harder to get pregnant. I'm sure for severe cases there are much more severe risks though. If you think you are ovulating, even somewhat normally, you probably wouldn't be considered a severe case though.
Oh My Gosh!! I feel so emotional right, no one I speak to about this seems to understand, my dh is trying to but doesn't want to talk about it too much until we see the fertility specialist. I am so happy that you responded and would love to keep in touch. How long have you been trying and do you have a lot pcos symptoms?
It is totally probable that you did ovulate from the sounds of things. I hope you had lots of intercourse! I too took an OPK yesterday and it showed that I was ovulating. I thought that was interesting because I had just read your post. I could feel ovulation in my left ovary so I decided to take a OPK test and it was positive. I had otherwise given up on ovulation, thinking that I probably wound not o this month. You may end up getting pregnant on your own, it is very possible. I have been trying for 8 months. One month I comepletely skipped my period all together. I guess nature can be cruel like that. Has your husband's sperm been tested yet? Mine is going in next week for that.
I too am 27 and was diagnosed with pcos about a year ago. My dr had me try clomid before trying a fertility specialist. She was going to give me 6 mo on the clomid before moving to the next step. It worked the first month. Now, not to discourage you, but I am dealing with the threat of a m/c as we speak. I didn't even think that the pcos might have something to do with it. Now I have a whole nother relm to research. It is possible to ovulate with pcos. If all the signs point to ovulation then assume you are and start trying. There is no harm in that. Right? As far a the cream I don't know really what it is so I can't give you any advice there.
Best of luck to you!
Did the doctor prescribe progesterone to prevent a miscarriage for you? I think they only do that if there is a previous misscarriage or a history of some sort. I will send good vibes out for you and your baby. I really hope everything turns out okay.
I was 28 when diagnosed with PCOS.  I have hirsutism, baldness, hair growth in unwanted areas, and weight gain.  Some how I conceived - a wonderful surprise nonetheless.  I was put on progesterone after requesting that a test be run to check the levels.  They were dangerously low and had to take for first trimester to prevent miscarriage.  After his birth, my hair fell out, then came back in thicker, and my mc occur exactly every 28 days on Sunday.  Our bodies are uncontrollable and work in very strange ways.  I need to get back to my PC to find out what's really going on.
I am 21 yrs. Old and have been with my Fiance for over 4 yrs. We started trying to have a baby over 2yrs ago and have not been successful. I have been on metformin for over a year now and its rly taking a toll on my self worth as a women. I see all my friends having babies and how happy they are and it ***** for me. No one seems to understand how depressing it is to not be able to have a baby with the man you love.I guess I just need advice on what to do....
my period is really irregular sometimes going two months I have hirsutism my md said i might have pcos, i really dnt understand whats going on with my body, i recently started getting my period some months for 2 wks or lasting almost the whole month, then it will skip for 2 month and im having all kind of issuse like pain in my breast, nausea, throbbing in my lower abdomen do anyone know what my be going on. and do any one no how long a woman can stay pregnant with pcos because i was pregnant 4 yrs ago but had a bad mc @ 5months and the dr. couldnt figure out why at the time i also had and stil havent been diagnoised with pcos just wondering if any one can help a lost soul in pain thx
hello, i am 22 almost 23 and have to same problems. as you i look at every one around me and see they have baby bumps or little babys and i feel soo let down and disapointed about my self cuz i have pcos.. hair growth in unwanted places wieght gain and no matter how much i work out i dont seem to lose wieght. i also have had my partners sperm tested and it truns out he also has deformed sperm and im starteding to think it will never be for me. and without meds i dont even have my monthly.... im guessig and thinking theres no hope for us to have a wounderful gift from God
HI, I am 29 and diagnosed of PCOS..about 2 years back my periods were very regular but now i have gained weight and they are very very irregular..doctor may prescribe me chlomid and metformin if i dont conceive in next few months.

problem is, i dont know how i possibly can conceive without medicine when i am not having regular cycle.

can i be ovulating if periods are irregular? another thing is my doctor told me the ovulation kits in stores wont depict ovulation correctly for me..any idea why?

has anybody with pcos seen weight loss regularize cycle?

Good luck

Good luck
I understand how u feel infact we all do, I was diagnose with pcos when I was 22 and recently took my first ovulation kit which came out positive. I refuse to let pcos rule my life sure I get depress and sometimes alone but I'm blessed with a husband that loves me unconditionall. I to yearn for a baby and hope( with Gods help) To get pregnant soon