Maternal & Child Community
I missed two pills... started to spot... will I ovulate if I continue t...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I missed two pills... started to spot... will I ovulate if I continue taking the pill?

Hello, I feel rather ignorant being 25 years old and not knowing the answer to this question but I started taking the pill at the beginning of June '07, so this is only my second month, I started this pack July 15 and my LMP began July 11.  We took a weekend trip last weekend (July 20-22) and I forgot my pills.  I had some breakthrough bleeding (just spotting) on Sunday and I stopped spotting yesterday (Monday).  There was sex involved Saturday night and Monday night.  Will I ovulate since I missed Friday and Saturday's pills and if so could I become pregnant?  Thank you in advance for your assistance.
You certainly could have ovulated.  So..you missed Friday and Saturday, and had sex Saturday and Sunday?  There is a  patient package insert with each pack, telling you what to do if you miss pills.  But certainly you could have ovulated.

Heres the standard advice, but it can vary depending on the type of pill.  YOU SHOULD HAVE USED BACKUP, REGARDLESS of pill type.  

Missed Pills: During the Cycle

1 pill missed: Take it as soon as you remember and take your next pill at your usual time. This may mean taking two pills in one day.
2 pills missed in a row in the first two weeks: Take two pills on the day you remember and two pills the next day. Finish the rest of the pack as usual. Use a backup form of birth control for one week.
2 pills missed in a row in the third week: Keep taking one pill every day until Sunday. On Sunday, set aside the rest of the pack, including the spacers, and start taking a new pack of pills. Use a backup form of birth control for one week.
3 or more pills missed in a row anytime: Keep taking one pill every day until Sunday. On Sunday, set aside the rest of the pack and start taking a new pack of pills. Use a backup form of birth control for two weeks.

The important thing is to always have a back up method available if you miss pills.   If you miss your next period, take a pregnancy test.  
Thank you peekawho.  I have just one more issue... This afternoon I began having pains, like cramps, mainly on my right side.  Could this be a sign of ovulation or could it just be that because I messed up on my pills I could be starting my period?
Are you still taking your pills?  
yes, I started back on them sunday... and I read what you posted yesterday and found that I was doing it correctly... I took two Sunday when I got home and I took two Monday so last night when I took my "Tuesday pill" I was back on track, so my point is that I did play "catch up" like I should have.
But you didn't use backup birth control so you still could get pregnant.  So you still could have ovulated and conceived.  Hopefully not.  The pill does also make the uterine lining and cervical mucus somewhat inhospitable for conception, so things may still work out ok.

If you don't get your period when you start the inert pills, test right away for pregnancy or see your doctor.