Maternal & Child Community
I think I'm 4-5 weeks pregnant and vaginal ultrasound shows nothin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I think I'm 4-5 weeks pregnant and vaginal ultrasound shows nothing

Hi...I think I'm 4-5 weeks pregnant, but i'm not sure...just found out I was pregnant a week ago, it was unexpected and at first we were very scared and questioning everything...we finally came to terms with the fact that we were having a baby and excited about our first child...that same night I began to lightly bleed, only when I wiped...I flew to the ER where they did a Hcg and a vaginal ultrasound...my levels were 2972, which they said they would have liked to see around 3200...then the ultrasound showed nothing, they told me to come back 48 hours later for more labs and another ultrasound...bleeding remained very light, didnt even need to change my pad once in almost 24 hours, then I began cramping a little, nothing more than light period cramps but the bleeding got slightly heavier...I began to panic and flew over to the ER again...they almost seemed upset that I returned before the 48 hour window...they said they would do another ultrasound but could not run the beta test again til the next day...after a few hours waiting there another ultrasound was performed and the doctor told me nothing was visible so they are assuming I'm losing the baby..doctor said sorry for your loss and walked out leaving me sitting there shocked...I dont understand, my bleeding is not heavy, no severe cramps...is it possible I'm losing this baby and not feeling or seeing anything? I'm so confused and cant rest, I wont find out until tomorrow afternoon what my beta test came back as...like I said, I assume I'm 4-5 weeks but I could be off because my periods are irregular...they never even asked me that at the hospital...any information would help!! :(
I realize you were bleeding, but the ER generally is not the place to learn anything constructive about a pregnancy in the early stages.  They don't specialize in obstetrics, they can give you bad information, and someone there should have told you that you can't see much in an ultrasound so early.  (There should be a rule that pregnant ladies cannot have ultrasounds until the 7-week point, for all the grief, confusion and fear early ultrasounds cause!)

My suggestion is to go to your regular ob-gyn with your beta numbers, explain that you have had the daylights scared out of you in the ER, and see when they would like to have you come in for your first pregnancy appointment.  Don't expect anything to appear in an ultrasound until week 6 or 7, and if you don't know for sure when your pregnancy began, lean toward what you think would be week 7 instead of week 6.  (Your ovulation could have been a little late.)

Good luck!!!
please never do early scans as I have been through hell cause of it the last 2 weeks - I hope everything be okay for you, just hang on in there
You won't see much till you are about 6 weeks along.  Also, if you have irregular periods (as you just mentioned), you may think your 4-5 weeks along but you may only be 3-4 weeks.  

The dr's telling you your numbers are two low??  Wow, they had just one set of numbers to go off of, that means nothing if you don't even know how far along you are!  Your numbers should double every 2-3 days in a normal pregnancy, however many women don't and still have healthy babies.  

Also if you are 4 weeks along, you would be spotting when you expect AF or so, a lot of women will spot when they would normally bleed during the first trimester.  And since your not cramping, try not to worry too much.  Did they see if your cervix was open or closed?

I'd say to try to relax, and wait to see what your numbers are.  I think someone said that your levels need to be at least 10,000 to see much of anything on an ultrasound.  My levels where 10,486  when I had my first ultrasound at either 5 weeks 5 days or 6 weeks, and we didn't see much, she could tell I was pregnant and thinks she saw a heartbeat but had a hard time getting a clear pic.  Try to relax!
Hi...well I found out today that my Hcg number has dropped to 1200, so as they expected, I am losing my baby! I have to say that this may be the biggest heartbreak of my life...I really don't know how to deal with this...I keep blaming myself and cant go more than an hour without crying!  I appreciate the comments trying to keep me positive...thank you ladies, wish the outcome had been different, I really wanted this baby more then anything! :(
I'm so sorry your loosing the baby, It's not easy recovering from a miscarriage, but just know that many women have sucesfull pregnancies after a miscarriage, so there is hope you'll get a little baby.
so so sorry its an awful experience, i have suffered 2 mc in the past year and have recently discovered that i am pregnant! i am sure that things will work out for you all.