Maternal & Child Community
IFV and taking a Home Pregnancy Test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

IFV and taking a Home Pregnancy Test

Right now my wife and I are sweating bullets.  We had an IVF Blastocyst transfer on Jan 30, 2007 and we took a Home Pregnancy Test this morning that was negative.  Are we too soon in taking one?  It's only been 6 days since they put the eggs back in her.  She is convinced all is lost.  We are due to go back to the Dr. for the Beta HCG blood test on the 8th.  If anyone has any knowledge please respond.  Thank you.  
hi there, i know its so frustrating when you do HPT and you see that -. well, just to let you know, i did IVF on sept.2006 and did several HPT, 1st one was -(6 days after transfer)then another one(8days after ET), came really really faint +, 10 days after finally +.

So it maybe too early to test. try to do it again on the 8th. everyone is different, it depends upon how much level your hcg in your body.
try no to stress out yourself & your wife, relax...keep us posted.. GOODLUCK..
You tested much too early....

Don't worry, it's folks like all of us on this site that keep the hpt makers in business.

I know in traditional conception you are about 14 days before you get a positive.
I'm not an expert, but I do believe you tested too early.  With a naturally conceived baby it takes at least 10 days after conception to be detected (even that is early).  It takes about 48 hours after implantation for there to be enough HCG in a woman's body to be detected on a home pregnancy test.  That's probably why the Dr. is waiting until the 8th to test.  Anything sooner is probably too soon.  Good Luck!!  I know this must be very stressful for both of you.
Thanks, it's good to know we're not the only ones who get a little crazy.
my re does the blood test  9 days after transfer -

6 days sounds early - some show HPT but I wouldn't think all - best of luck''

your success rates with blasts are much higher aren't they?
You did test too early.  I actually had a blood test on day 8 after transfer that came up negative, and I was pregnant with twins as it turns out.  My home pregnancy test on day 11 after transfer showed positive, but I think even that was early (was probably a successful result on the test because there were twins, and they put more hCG into my system than a singleton would have).  So tell your wife that all is definitely NOT lost.  You tested too frikkin early.  :)  She should not give up until a blood based test on day 14 after transfer or later gives a negative.
Thanks, to all.  I've been calling my wife and giving her everyones comments.  The hard thing for us to understand, is that this cycle is different from the last one.  On day 7 we tested with an HPT and it came up positive, then the blood test confirmed it.  We just have to relize that this is like a child, everyone is different.  Thanks again.
Hi i did my home pregnancy test 6 days following my blastocyst transfer and the very first test i got two lines but one was very faint.  The next day I tested again and I got two dark lines and the third day I tested once more and got two dark lines indiating a positive result, and I know it can't still be the hcg surge injection I took 2 days before my retrieval because it has been two weeks, and it takes about 2 weeks for the medicine to leave your system.  I go in for my blood work in 2 days I hope they have good news, I still remain optimistic.
my wife is fealing like she is going 2 get her period is this normal after 10 days of doing ivf    please somebody respond/////////////