Maternal & Child Community
IM CONSTIPATED AND I PUSH HARD WHEN I GO, IS IT DANGEROUS AT 4 WKS PREG...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

IM CONSTIPATED AND I PUSH HARD WHEN I GO, IS IT DANGEROUS AT 4 WKS PREGNANT?

IM VERY CONSTIPATED LATELY AND MY APPETITE IS CLOSE TO NONE, I DONT EAT ANYMORE, NOT SURE WHATS GOING ON?? IM 4 WEEKS PREGNANT, AND WHEN I HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM I FIND MYSELF PUSHING REALLY HARD , LAST TIME I DID, I SPOTTED LIGHTLY ...CAN I LOSE MY BABY IF I PUSH HARD, OR IS IT SAFE?

ALSO I TAKE A SPOON FULL, OF OLIVE OIL EVERY MORNING, IT KEEPS ME REGULAR, IS THAT SAFE FOR MY BABY?
I was preggo 11 years ago, so my experience is outdated. But at anyrate, I was TERRIBLY constapated when I was preggo. It was aweful!  I would try and try and try to push to the point where my body just kinda contracted on its own and business was taken care of. I did spot a bit to from it. Because the cervix is engorged with blood and very sensatice. So the pressure that I was exerting caused it to bleed a bit. I never heard of a woman miscarring or hurting a baby from being constapated.  It could aslo be hemoroids that are causing the spotting. Def have you doc check on that because those suckers can and will hurt during and after a pregnancy. I think your fine, good luck and have fun with your pregnancy!
I don't know about the oil but I've never heard of pushing too hard to go causing a miscarrying.  Good luck and all the best.
take a stool softener....NOT a laxative, but just a regular over the counter stoll softener.  That might help a little bit, but is probably the only option you have at this point.  But if it is really bad, call your doctor, like dream said, you may have hemmoroides too.  Good luck
I live in NC and my midwife gave me TANDEM OB
According to my OBGYN, it is safe to take metamucil or fibercon as needed for constipation.  Also, be sure to drink plenty of fluids.
SORRY...  I hit the "post" button a little too fast ....

I was constipated alot BEFORE I got pregnant but these prenatal vitamins keep me regular.... are you taking any?  Mine is called TANDEM OB.
I dont know about the olive oil - that is something to ask your doctor about.
I had a horrible time with this when I was pregnant and it lasted the entire 9 months.  I used to laugh and tell my doctor he was in for a lot of fun when I had to start pushing during delivery because he was going to get a lot more then a baby.

They told me to use stool softners to make it easier when I did go and once it was so bad that I cannot even tell you about it on here or everyone will loose their appitite for a year.  Lets just say that I thought I gave birth.

Anyway after that episode I told my doctor it was just not human to be going through this and still - nothing but softerns. I would bleed sometimes from the pressure and he was never really concerned but he always did check me.

Good Luck, sorry -
I had the same problem as well... I started eating a lot more fruit and drinking a lot more fluids....has been a lot better!
good luck
Drinking fluids really helps.  I am constantly drinking water and up and down to go to the bathroom.  When it is time to go #2 I don't 'push' as I have heard that can not be good.  So I sort of rock back and forth if I am having trouble going.  It works its way out without having to push.  Sorry if that gave visuals to everyone.  Good luck with it though!  And take care of yourself and the baby.  you NEED to eat and nourish the baby.
The spotting was more than likely from straing so much. Take a stool softner or m.o.m . Drink plenty of water and prune juice helps as well. I know what you are going thro im right there with ya.
i'm having the same problem, i'm 6 weeks now and last week i was straining to go toilet and i had 2 drops of blood come out, i was really worried as i miscarryed a couple of months ago and thought it was the start of that, but i haven't had any blood since so i think it was just the constipation.
i know its waaaaaaaaay late to answer your question, but i just read it. i am in the same shoes right now. i know that my firned was constipated so bad and went to the er while 6months pregnant and the doctor said the only thing you can do is push as hard as you can. so its safe to push. the more you push though, the more chances of hemroids. and if you bled like i do, its becuase you already have internal hemroids . its not a big deal. i was told that olive oil istn good but i had a friend who took a tablespoon to help her constipation during her whole pregnnacy and no problem.  just imagine that olive oil is in your salad. i am thinking why would it be bad. i will try it for sure. youre not eating because youre constipated.
I'm 5 weeks and I've got the same problem and I have heard it's not good to push to hard.  My best advice is just to try to eat more fiber and if you can't go just wait.....surely you can later.
So this is totally gross, but this is my most annoying symptom right now too. Sometimes I've actually noticed a little blood, but it's not from my cervix, it's from the other hole, ick.... Sorry.
So maybe it's from there?
Everyone says its not going to hurt the baby, but I always feel like I'm going to push it out!
The joy of pregnancy.
thank you for ur advise! u are all amazing.
unfortunetly , i just lost the baby on dec.24th..at 8 wks preggo, this is my second one in a yr, im sad, but we will keep on trying my hubby and i!
please pray for us!!
so sorry to hear that. that breaks my heart to hear bad news like that. go to the infertility forum. thats where i talk lots of women and they are great. i had trouble too. i am praying for you. youre not alone there.
so sorry to hear about ur loss. i was in same situation, me and husband tried for 5 years and when i finally did get pregnant at 4months i miscarried. it is now over a year later and i just found out im 5weeks when i thought it would never happen again.. so i am so happy and i pray that i will be able to carry full term and have healthy baby..So it will happen again for u i waited 6 years for this news. i will pray for u and u will be blessed.
I'm 12 weeks & 1 day, 26 yrs old & this is my 2nd baby. My obgyn doc told me to take over the counter miralax. It really helps. He said its super safe that pediatricians recommended to infants when contipated.