Maternal & Child Community
IUD Checkup

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

IUD Checkup

Tomorrow I have my 6 week IUD (Mirena) checkup.  

I was wondering how do they check to make sure it's in place?  Do they do a U/S (ultrasound) or a pelvic exam?

The only bad experience I've had from it is bleeding for 5 weeks straight.  This is the first week I haven't bled.  I'm just scared its not in the right place...

Thanks in advance~
Brandi
You should be able to check it yourself- or your husband if you are more comfortable with that. Just feel around your cervix for the strings to make sure it is in place. This is what the docs should do- maybe they will do a pelvic. I never had a 6 week check after I got my first IUD nor did I for the second....
They just do a pelvic exam.  
If you seriously don't think it is in place, you might specifically request an ultrasound and give your bleeding as the reason.
you should be able to feel the strings yourself. i check mine every other day. after i had my mirena put it i bled for about 7-8 weeks after. then it slowed and stopped. it's been 7 months since i had it put in and my periods last MAYBE 3 days. 2 days of spotting and one day of heavy flow. no cramps nada. i haven't had an issue with weight gain (aside from my lazy but sitting around....i finally got myself motivated to work out again and have the past week.), mood swings or any other side affects. i  have to say mirena is the best b/c i've been on.
They did an U/S to me 6 weeks after i had mirena in, they also did a Pap to make sure everything was ok...
I was paper to read about the IUD before I got it in place and had to sign it.  I read that you can check yourself for the strings.  

While he was just cutting the strings I asked him if I should be able to feel the strings, he said NO!!  Also in the paper I signed, it said you do need a checkup after 4-12 weeks after it was inserted.

The day AFTER I got the IUD, I wiped after going to the bathroom and there was a 4-5 inch RED STRING on the toilet paper...Anyone else get that?  I did call the doctor, but he said he must of left a piece in while he trimmed the string.  But why didn't he say anything?  

Thank you girls for all your help.  I didn't know how they check it IF I'M UNABLE TO FEEL THE STRINGS!  (Stupid doctors)
OMG! You need to go back to the doctor ASAP, or maybe a different doctor, because the idiot is supossed trim the strings to about an inch long because the drug company makes IUD's with the string so you are able to check the positioning AND most importantly THAT'S HOW THE DR. REMOVES THE IUD WHEN YOU WANT TO HAVE IT TAKEN OUT!  tHEY PULL THE IUD OUT BY THE STRINGS!

I don't think that your doctor read the instructions, heck you can find the insertion instructions online on the mirena website!  The strings are to be left in place, I'm shocked!  

Call your doctor ASAP and try to find the instructions and print them out and take them to him.
Definitely ask for an U/S to make sure it is in its proper place. I had my IUD for 10 months and I could feel the strings (I had to reach inside) I thought everything was fine, until I went in for my pap and he did an u/s at this appt. and my IUD was misplaced. It was laying on its side and embedding itself into my uterus. He did not do a U/S at my 6 week check but if he would have he would have realized then and not 10 months later that he had misplaced it.

When they say "you will not feel the strings" they mean that the strings will not bother you on the inside. but you should be able to touch the strings with you fingers on the inside. HTH
Everything went good!  He just did a pelvic exam, said the strings were right there and everything was in place.  THANK GOD!  

I'm losing weight left and right (which is GREAT)  :)  I don't even know I have it, just the bleeding...he said its VERY normal to bleed as long as its not heavy.  

He said he just trimmed the strings very short so I wouldn't be able to feel them.  Just because in the past with other patients, they would come back in complaining that their husbands could feel it poking the penis and he'd have to trim them again.  

I go back in 2 months for my Pap and get the strings checked again.  

Ladies, thank you SO much for your help on here.  I didn't know what to expect and VERY much appreciated!!  
omg i forgot to make my appt, how stupid i am im scrared now lol, well im glad everything is okay with u, i cant feel mine ethier and i get all freaked out i gotta call my doc monday