Maternal & Child Community
IUI vs. IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

IUI vs. IVF

My husband and I are trying to decide what to do next in this quest to have a family.  Based on my history (I won't bore everyone with the details) it is decision time... IUI or IVF.  Does anyone know what the success rates are for both?  
Is it worth spending the extra $ to improve my chances with the IVF?  
Insurance won't cover either procedure.
IUI $4,000
IVF $12,000
Gulp!
Any advice out there???
Wow that is alot for IUI I have friend that just had it done and it was a max of $2000. IT would be best to talk to a fertility clinic and see what they think is your best option. they can do things such as S/A for DH and U/s for you and tell you what the best option is.
May I ask, what is IUI????
I don't know your situation, but I have tried both and I got pregant twice with IUI (both miscarriaged) and I'm currently 8 wks. pregnant through IVF.   If you ovulate on your own the doctors can monitor you through u/s and trigger your ovulation and time IUI appropriately.  If this is the case, the cost should come way down.  If you don't ovulate, the costs go up because the fertitly drugs are very expensive.  

The only benefit to IVF is that you know that a fertilized egg(s) is put back into you and you know the quality of the egg(s).  They grade the eggs on a scale of 1-5.  1 being the best and 5 being the worst.  I can also tell you that IVF can sometimes be very stressful.  At one point, I was getting two shots in the stomach and one in the butt everyday.  I am now getting one shot of progesterone once a day in the butt and this will continue until 12 wks gestation.  

It's a hard decision to make but I was lucky enough to have insurance to cover everything at 100%.  The one thing the doctors should have told you is that your chances of conceiving and delivery a baby go up considerably when you do IVF.    If you have any specific questions about either procedure, please let me know.  

Wendi
Thanks for the info... Congratulations!!  
My insurance doesn't cover any of the medications. I think that is why it is so expensive.  I have a consultation with the doctor next Monday to go over my options.  
I have been monitored the past 3 months, with ultrasounds and blood tests, using clomid.  I ovulated...intercourse and nothing.
So I will just ask more questions to find out my options.
I am finding out that IVF is more extensive than I thought.
I am sure if we decide to do it... I will be asking you even more questions!
Thanks.

IUI- inter-uterine-injection  
short description- the doctor injects the semen directly into the uterus.
Hello.. I have had an IUI done three times.  I conceived the first time I had one and the third time I had one.  I am shocked at the cost you mentioned.  It only cost us $220.00 to have an IUI done.  Of course we didn't have any medications or anything like that, just the IUI.  I have a beautiful two year old that I had with the first IUI.  Good luck with your choice!

Robin
i have to agree with dream reacher...i had IUI done and we payed a total of $330.00. that included the consultation seman wash and insemination. (we also had no drugs)

i also agree that you should seek a profetional opinion on what is your best bet.  if you are ovulating on your own then you could do just fine with just the insemination....i don't think it is really a simply of a question as you are hoping for.
good luck to you
~nanci
Hello ladies, I am also considering ICSI which is the more suffisticated IVF. The doctor thinks, it is the best option fior us as my DH has a very low sperm count. Medically, I am supposed to be fine But we had Tried ICSI 4 times with no pregnancy. We always have good embryos put back but no implantation. We are now thinking of trying another private hospital in January but will not be paying as much as we did in the previous ones because We intend to share our eggs. Does anyone Know anything about egg sharing? Hear in the UK, It is now becoming popular. I need some advise ladies. Thank you lots.

Sorry for my lond epistle
I just finished my IUI yesterday, my doctor gives a 24% chance of becoming pregnant, this whole procedure has cost me about 1600.00, I needed meds to help me ovulate and to help try to keep from miscarriage if I am pregnant.  My doctor also gives a 50% success rate with IVF, and again the cost you said sounds like what he said.  Good Luck!
diggy,
Here are some thoughts from our eveprience :

- 4k for IUI is way too much. Should be no more than 1.5k per cycle (even with multiple IUIs in one cycle). Maybe there are very few clinics in your area, so the clinics may be taking advantage of that.

- Normally doctors recommend no more than 5-6 cycles of IUI, before recommending IVF. The pregnancy success rate varies from about 5%-15% per cycle, depending upon your age, FSH/Estrodoil level. If you are older than 38-40 or your FSH is above 10, they may recommend IVF. IUI is a lot easier (normally clomid for 5 days) than IVF in terms of medications and stress.

- IVF eliminates a lot of unknowns that IUI doesn't. You would know if the embryo has fertilised (or not). They have a much better idea of the quality of egg. Also, the can do ICSI if there is male fertility problems. It gives you lot more control overall. The success rate vary from 10% per cycle to 50% (depending on age, quality of embryos, number of embryos transfered, etc).

For older women (say at age 40), only one of 3 or 4 four egg is chromosomely normal (on an average). Which means you will need 3 or 4 cycle (and then everthing esle has to go well) to get pregnant and deliver live birth. With IVF they will (try to) retrive between 10 and 15 eggs in one cycle (although the cycle may be 2 m/s period long). Of which about 5 will be good. If 80% fertilise, you will still have 4 embryos to transfer and implant. The quality of embryo (depends on how the sperm and egg gets along!) will mostly determine the pregnancy and live birth rate. One good quality embryo will have about 20 to 25% chance of live birth. The overall odds (and hence the chance of multiples) go up, if you decide to transfer more embryos.

In general, if time is against you, IVF is the best option.

Chek out this website for IVF. there is awealth of information here about success rate, etc etc.
http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/ART01/index.htm

good luck.

I went through 3 IUI cycles, with no luck (I think it was because I did not ovulate normally and have regular, predictable cycles).  I did get pregnant on my first try with IVF.  The nice thing about IVF is you know that the egg(s) are fertilized, and you know the quality of them.  The hardest part is deciding how many eggs to have implanted!  I was scared to death, but decided to chance it with 3 eggs, mainly because of my age (36) at the time.  Only one egg implanted, which was great!  I am now 12 weeks along.

I was lucky to have insurance to cover, so don't know a lot about the cost, just that it IS expensive!  Also, the medicines required with IVF are expensive and not much fun!  Shots everyday in the leg or stomach, and then progesterone shots every night in the butt which hurt like hell!!  But it is all worth it in the end if you are able to get pregnant, right?  Good luck!!!!!!
hi there girls. i hope you don't mind me joing . iam 29, hubby is 42, and we have been ttc for over 2 years. i just started seeing a real specialist. he ran the usual tests on me, and everything was fine with me, and the hubby, so it's "unexplained infertility". that's my label, lol. the RE prescribed me 100mg clomid, and did 2 iui's back to back, as my 1st course of treatment, though i do ovulate and menstrate on my own. iam now 8 dpo, and on day 27 of my cycle. i have been having af like cramping, since the procedures were done, sometimes very bad. it definately feels like af is on the way, belly cramps, and sore bb's, which is already making me dissapointed that this has not worked for me yet. i'd like to go straight to invitro should this not work after another cycle. they'll take my money, so i know there will be no argument from the doctor. succes rates "appear" to be alot higher there. i did have 5 mature eggs at the time of iui, so i was very hopeful one would implant, but i definately don't feel pg, i feel like iam getting af. has anone else who has gotten pg, had af like symptoms before hand, like she was on her way? also, when you have more then 1 egg, do more then 1 release? all of them? if not, how do more eggs increase your chances? i don't know, iam new to all this, so i have lots of questions, and my RE doesn't exactly have a bedside manner to him. thanks gals, i appreciate your help and your time. i wish i could test now, but it's too early! this 2ww is hell!! :)
hi everyone, i'm new here. i went for my first iui yesterday. i too only paid 250.00, which included the spermwash and the procedure. i have not been on any medications either. my husband and i have been trying to concieve (conceive) since we married, 4 years ago. we found out my husband had a low sperm count and he had a surgery to help with that (correct a varicocele). our fertility doctor states his sperm count has improved .....in her words"a day and night difference". i have been doing the ovulation predictor kits and do ovulate, although it varies between day 10 and day 15. i saw that a few people were succseful on their first iui, but not many. wish us luck. this is a terrible emotional roller coaster ride.
Hi!  I'm new here.  My husband and I are struggling with the decision to do IUI or IVF.  Insurance is not an issue...both covered.  Our big hang-up, and what nobody else here mentioned yet, is that my RE told me that the chances of dangerous multiples (triplets and up) is much more likely with IUI, and that if we're not comfortable with "selective reduction" we should proceed directly to IVF.  With IVF, they would only transfer 2 embryos (I'm 35), so I would not have more than twins.  We are against selective reduction but are struggling with if we should just try IUI and hope that we are not put in that position.  (There is about a 12% chance of triplets or higher).  Here's our dilemma...I think we're afraid that if we don't succeed w/IVF (insurance will only cover 4) we're out of hope...whereas, if we don't succeed w/IUI, we still have another option available to us.  Make sense?  My RE said that the fear with triplets is that of all their patients who have not reduced, 50% ended up losing all 3 babies, or delivered 3 babies with abnormalities, illnesses, etc.  Sorry for all the info....did anyone else struggle with this?  Good luck to all!
Hello everyone!  I am new to this site, but looking for some encouraging words.  I just got my 4th IUI yesterday and am starting to lose hope.  My RE says that my infertility is "unexplained" because everything seems to be working great now with my Clomid cycles.  I am wondering if it has taken anyone more than 3 or 4 IUI's to become pregnant?  I am trying to figure out if I am just wasting my time doing them and should move on to IVF.  I hate the idea of spending $12,000 on IVF if I could possibly get an IUI to work.  If anyone has any success stories from multiple IUI's, I would really appreciate to hear them.  I am losing hope and ready to give up.

By the way, even with Clomid, my IUI's have only costed $342 each time.
My husband and I did one round of clomid and an IUI and we successfully got pregnant .  I'm not sure about $$ because my insurance covered all of it.  I can only say that it worked for us but it may not be for everyone.  We never got to the point were we had to consider IVF.  But I did have a friend do it and on the first try they got pregnant with triplets.  She carried them to 32 weeks and they were all healthy.
I starting IUI with Clomid and it cost me around $4,000.00 I started July 17th for 5 days I have been back anf fourth getting U/S done. Tommorow will be my 4th U/S since starting, the fist U/S  3 days after my last pill the lining of my uterus was too thin and the 3 eggs where not matured enough they measured 10,11 and 12. The 2nd U/S 3 days later  went the same the 3rd  U/S 3 days later my lining started to thicken not much but started. The 3 eggs measured 11,13 and 15. They said that my eggs and the lining of my uterus was ggrowing together. Doc said with Clomid they want the eggs to at least measure 18. So hopefully tomorrow the U/S shows what they need to see so I can know the out come of this procedure. I'm on day 13 of my cycle B&B'sMom what cycle was you on when they did the insemanation?

I'm happy to hear your success story it gave me more hope..
I pray that you have a healthy pregnancy and delivery Good Luck and God Bless

Jessiek Go with what your hearts tells you to do pray on the situation and let God show you what would be best. What ever decision that you decide to do I pray SUCCESS at the end. Good Luck and God Bless .....

Lots and Lots of Baby Dust to Us
My oldest son is now 18 months and I am pretty sure we went on day 3 and were not ready so we went back on day 5 but I am not 100% positive.  On a good note have the procedure done cleared up any inferitility problems we may have had because I have a 7 month old as well that was conceived naturally!!!  Good Luck.  Before you know it you will have your hands full
i went fou IUI today. But my uterus linings were thin only 5.1mm.....MY husbands sperm are of good quality.
Though I am 29 years old my ovaries have gotton somehow so that is why I am having problems getting pregnant. do you think i can still get pregnant with thin uterus lining..
i am so stressed out plz help.
I too am new to this site. I was looking for encouragement for people who have gotten pregnant from an IUI. I have been on clomid for 4 months now. We had our first IUI on friday and then one again on Monday. Friday went great. There was a little cramping during the procedure but nothing major. Monday on the other hand was horrible! I was in pain for 6 hours! I could barely walk. I got a positive ovulation surge on Monday morning, so I am hoping that it hurt because it worked. Have any of you had major pain during the IUI? Is this normal? The nurse joked that it was because I was having twins. Heres to hoping! :-) Two more weeks until I find out.  
I am 17 weeks pregnant after an IUI with injectibles.   It was not that stressful.  It was expensive, but hey... it's worth it!
One thing I forgot... I was on clomid, but the u/s showed it was thinning my liner.  So even if the little egg did get fertilized, it probably could not implant because of the thin liner.  

No one tells you these things, but when they do the u/s (if they do one), the EL # is important.  If it's less than 10, it's not good.  I had a reading of 4 for 4 consecutive months before anyone told me that my liner was too thin and go to injectibles.   Then my liner went up to 9, which is still thin, but it was enough for my current pregnancy.  
I am having an IUI done this cycle with 100 mg of clomid.  I am only pay $360.00, that includes the ultrasound today and then the spermwash-iui.  if you add the clomid it will have cost 385.00 total for this cycle.
Unfortunately the two IUIs this month did not work. I am debating on going forward with two more months of IUI or just doing an IVF. There is a program here where they give you 100% of your money back on the IVF if you are not successful within 4 full IVF cycles. That includes if you miscarry. My only set back was the cost and no guarantee. With this you at least get some kind of guarantee. What would you do? I am only 26 and DH 30. We have been ttc 2 years now. Is it too early for IVF? I am so tired of being labeled oh she is my friend who cant seem to get pregnant. They have no idea how hard it can be.
DH and we just diagnosed wiht moderate male factor infertility (my tests came back normal) and my RE recommended that we try a couple rounds of IUI and then if they are unsuccessful we move on to IVF.  the thing that we are struggling with right now is the low success rates of IUI compared to IFV.  my insurance covers both procedures so cost is not a factor for us at this point.  also we are both almost 33 and have been ttc for a year, so the idea of going through 2 - 3 months of IUI (assuming that it will be unsuccessful) and then another couple of months of IFV prep, and then the actual IVF means that we are not looking at a pos pregnancy test for almost 6 months!  so i am thinking that we should consider moving right to IVF now, or is that too drastic at this point?
I AM 28 AND HAVE ALREADY HAD 1 MISCARRY AND 1 TUBAL. MY EMOTIONS ARE ALL OVER THE PLACE. NOW WE ARE GOING TO TRY IUI ON MY NEXT CYCLE. I AM WORRIED THAT IT WONT WORK OR I HAVE A MISCARRY. THEN ON THE OTHER HAND I AM ALSO SCARED BUT WITH EXCITMENT THAT I COULD HAVE MORE THE ONE.OUR INSURENCE COVERS NONE OF IT. I DO HAVE FAITH IN THE LORD BUT I ALSO WANTED TO TALK WITH OTHERS THAT HAVE BEEN RIDING THE ROLLER COASTER. I HATE ROLLER COASTERS!! SO, IF ANYONE HAS ANY COMMENT OR STORY I WOULD LOVE IT. ALL MY PRAYS GO OUT TO ALL OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES.
I nanny for a lady who has done IVF 3 times.  She said that for her first they put in fresh, I can't remember how many and got their 2 year old daughter.  They then put in 7 frozen and didn't get any results.  The last time they put in 5 fresh, I think and got twins.  I'm not sure what IUI is but I think that IVF works quite well for the most part.  I do know that for all of that she said she paied $60 thousand to get here 3 kids!
Wondering how everything is going? It sounds like you are thinking ivf that sounds good since your insurance covers it. We are going to do iui and i just hope it works cause we do not have insurance that will cover anything . again all my prays for all of you!!!
I have just completed my 3rd IUI. We are labeled as male factor infertility. We are both 33. I have a 12yo from a previous marriage that was convieved with no major issues.We have been trying for 2 yrs now. I don't know eithier if I should move on to IVF but my biggest fear is the injections in the deep muscle and whether or not the procedure will hurt. Is IVF painful? Do you do your own injections? I hope this 3rd IUI will just work and I won't need to stress about IVF.
hello, thanks to all who shared their success stories with us, they really help encourage and lift our spirits.  I'm in the 2nd iui cycle and my RE feels it will be successful, the 1st time we did the clomid cycle which made my lining very thin, but I responsed very well to the medication so this time we're using the injectable. which I hope and pray that this time will be a success, by the way the iui is costing us around  $1500.00 that from the 1st day of the period to the  actual implant, including medications.  
If anybody have any suggestion to help me out during the 2 week waiting period it will great.
thing will be helpful..
tk
Hi Takiwa
I hope you are sucessful. I have read a lot of posts from women that have been sucessful in there first two attempts. I have also read that it may take a few attempts to be sucessful so don't feel discouraged if it does not work right away. Did you do just one insemination during this cycle or does your RE do two? I  was not so lucky with this my 3rd attempt but I will give myself up to 6 before I try other options.
I'm new here. This mornings examination showed that I responded "very well" to nine days of Menopur injections (in the belly) and that I have several eggs that are mature. My husband and I are set for an IUI, but the Doc. said that because I have so many eggs there is a very good chance of several of the eggs getting fertilized and to avoid multiple pregnancies that an IVF would be ideal for us. We'd like to stick to an IUI as our insurance does not cover IVF's. Sorry to say that if we did have multiple pregnancies we would then have to go for selective reduction.

This is the 3rd practice we've been to, and this is the 3rd doc who has been quick to push an IVF. My gut makes me think that many infertility practices promote the IVF proceedure just to bring money into the practice! Anyone else have a simular experience where the docs. were quick to suggest and/or continually promote IVF as the best and number one way to go???

An IVF cost so much more than IUI and many do not have insurance that covers an IVF. I hope these docs. are not getting intentionally sloppy with the proceedures concerning their IUI patients, to the point of these women being forced into an IVF because the IUI does not work. I hope the docs. are ethical and put as much care and honesty into trying to get a women pregnant via and IUI and not holding out for the big money of an IVF.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am also new to this site. I appreciate all the good advice everyone has to bring. I am 26yrs old, husband 30.  I know we are young compared to many others, but i do not ovulate and have been diagnosed with PCOS.  We just got a negative result yesterday from our second IUI cycle.  I was on clomid for the two cycles, but there was only one follicle both times, so the chances of that one follicle maturing and dropping an egg are really slim.  My insurance covers IUI, but not IVF. I’m concerned with my options to continue IUI, or consider IVF.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! God Bless!
I had good luck using follistim instead of clomid for my IUI cycles.  Had 3 on one side (the good side, thankfully) and 1 on the other.  One baby out of the 1 cycle with follistim.  We did 8 total IUI cycles, 7 without anything and no luck there.  Not PCOS, just over 35 and not really ovulating well.

Seemed that the follistim and pregnancy corrected me somewhat since we have baby #2 without any help.

Good luck to ya.  I'd continue doing IUI for a while using some different stimulating drugs.
Your doc is probably worried about the multiple thing.  My doc wouldn't do an IUI if there were going to be more than 3 possibilities.  that's just his limit.  he didn't recommned IVF to us, although we had discussed it as a "future" alternative.  Some cycles you won't be able to IUI because of the increased number of eggs, there are other problems associated with the multiple eggs, cannot remember what it was though.  Hyper something or other.

I would just not IUI that month (if there are too many eggs) and try again the next month.  IUIs will work given time and the right conditions.

Good luck to ya!
Hello gang,
Another newby to the discussion.  Details:  35 yrs old. Canadian.  DH 37.  Unexplained primary infertility after 3 years TTC.  Just started seeing an RE in January, first IUI scheduled for February.  Spontaneous cycle which means "au naturel" no drugs.  So far completed Day 3 bloodwork, Day 11 bloodwork and ultrasound, (Day 11 results show a maturing follicle 19 mm and good lining in uterus 9 mm.)  Day 12 blood work, surge.  Day 13 IUI.  Sperm count 60 million.  Total cost for procedure was $200 for sperm wash.  No fertility drugs involved, all other costs bloodwork, ultra sound, insemination are covered by gov't health insurance.  RE says I should be able to take a pregnancy test on Day 14 after IUI if no AF.  RE says there is nothing I can or cannot do to impact the success of the insemination, carry on with life as normal.  They have cautioned about getting my hopes up for a first round success, though it is possible.  They said that they would normally recommend up to six attempts of IUI prior to moving on to IVF.    
Hi All,

I'm also new to this forum.  Firstly and foremost I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback.  It has helped guide me in making many of my fertility choices.  I'm 32 and was once pregnant but miscarried in 97' during a previous relationship.  My DH and I have been ttc for approximately 1 1/5 yrs with no success.  Our infertility seemed to stem from me not making a good egg (usually measured 7-11).  My luteal phase was also too short for implantation, usually being about 9 days (14 being sufficient).  My doc placed me on Clomid 50mg (no success), 100mg (no success), and 150mg (5 "great" eggs!!).  Following the last sono that showed I had 5 mature eggs I went for an IUI the very next day (cd 13).  I will take Prochieve on Friday to increase and stabilize my progesterone levels until either I get my af or into week 14 of pregnancy.  I've been baby crazy for the last two years and fortunately have a great support system but it can be very discouraging.  My most heartfelt wishes go to all of you having difficulty ttc.  Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm really hoping the IUI works for us but if not we will probably try a couple more cycles and then IVF.

Hey Ladies,

I have tried IUI twice now, but only once did I have multiple eggs.  The first time only 1 egg.  I'm not sure if I should go straight to IVF now or keep trying with IUI?  My doctor is on the conservative side and you can tell wants us to go with an IVF.  I'm getting the feeling he doesn't like the thought of anyone doing a "reduction" if more than expected eggs become fertilized.  I don't like the thought either, but I feel this route is not only less expensive, but it's easier.  Having to make a "reduction" deision would suck though.  I hope God doesn't look down on me and my husband if we have to make that decison.  If doctors didn't want people to have multiples, why don't they make IVF's less expensive?  Everyone is just out to make money...it's all about the money.  

So glad to have found this site, it's helping us to make our decision. We both have problems and are now faced with the options of IUI or IVF. My Doc told me that IUI is only 12 - 14% effective and I would need drugs which would cost approx. 1700$ or IVF which is 42 - 45% effective and would cost 11000$ per shot. I'm thinking we should go with the one with the best odds instead of wasting our money on a 14% chance, what do you think?  
Hi Naddie,

Well, I am on my 4th month of IUI (I am 32 years old) and am waiting for the results, which is grueling. I have been on Femara, a drug like clomid, but still no luck.  I am at my whits end and really want to go right to IVF because I feel like I am wasting my time with the IUI's. But, my doctor suggested that if I am not pregnant, than I should try injectable drugs (into my stomach) and do a 5th IUI.  They say that it has a much higher success rate than just the oral drugs. But I kind of feel that maybe my problem is implantation,or quality of eggs.  I don't know, but every month it gets worse, I cry harder and wonder what is wrong with me.  this past month I had horrible cramps with the 4th IUI, I was literally on the floor crying like a baby.  All my blood work comes out normal allthe time, I just can't take this anymore. I went to an IVF class, and luckily wiht my insurance, I can get one to 2 tries covered.  At this point, I don't care, I just want to be pregnant asap and move on wiht my life. I am married 6 years already, and all of my friends who are married less time all have kids or are pregnant. I know that I sholdn't compare myself, but I do because it is normal.  My husband says to go to the injectable drugs.... who knows, I don't think that it will work.  One of my good friends at 5 IUI's done and no luck...but did get pregnant on the first round of IVF, so as for your question--go right to IVF if your chances are greater, I feel that I have wasted time and emotional energy on IUI's.
good luck!
My husband and I have been married for 6 years and no success of becoming pregnant.  He has a low sperm count and went to a urologist who gave him medication to increase them, in addition told him to increase his caffeine intake to get them moving.  The medication and caffeine has made progress but we still decided to go to an infertility doctor last week.  The doctor said that we should go right to the IVF with our situation but made that decision without seeing my husband's results from his doctor.  We both had bloodwork done and I have to go back for more this week and also find out what the next step is.  I honestly don't want to go through IVF because of the shots, medication side effects, and being put under anesthesia.  I am actually considering trying the IUI first even though the doctor says IVF instead.  I don't think I have the courage to go through IVF and may consider adoption if the IUI doesn't work.
Any thoughts on this?????
Hi everyone! I resently went through devastation of  mc at 12 weaks pg du to chromosomal problem trisomy 21, after iui.Went to checkup and no hearth beath.Its beeng 6 weeaks cince d/c and I am still a nerveruck.I hade one mc 6 monts ago but that one was 2 weaks chemical(I hade a bad cold then and my doc give me antibiotic then), it did not make my cold go away but I hade a chemical pregnancy instead,so go figure with this choise.I have two kids both consived on iui 3 and 2 yearolds.Now cince my clock is ticking will probably go with ivf, 2 sicles of uiu already cost me over 4.000 and greaf of baby loss.Now with ivf they can actually screan an embrio for chromosomal abnormalityes + help sperm to penetrate an egg for sure.There are many reasons for going ivf the biggest one for me is distinguish quality of an egg and chromosomal screening to avoid down sindrom trisomy 21 and privent it.Eny comments enyone?
Hi everyone- I just want to say I have never before typed on one of these forums but thank you all for your stories and taking the time to write them up. It helps so much to not feel alone in this infertility battle. I am 32 years old and my husband is 33, we have been trying now for 2 years. Recently found out that my husband has a zero sperm count and is doing further blood testing to see if a Y chromosone is missing- they seem to think this is due to a genetic condition that basically makes you sterile.(not a blockage that could be much better scenario) This has been very difficult since we had so many hopes and dreams like all of you to have our own biological child. Anywho- we have to wait another month for the results of this test and that would let us know if ICSI would even be a possibility for us or if we should consider donor sperm. I ovulate fine and am very "punctual" about it. Is anyone in a similar situation that would recommend IVF or IUI with donor sperm? Thank you all for your time and stories and good luck to everyone :)
I feel an unusual sense of compassion for you. My wife and I started the first injection for IUI and if it makes you feel any better she is 40.5 years and I am 39.5 yrs I had the bod like Arnold and face like Tom Cruise and my wife has great genetics too. this situation is baffling. We have a good up bringing and a good heart. This is really testing our faith too. As believers in Christ we must keep fighting the good fight, never stop dreaming the dream and help someone by comforting them. To love and be loved is the greatest gift of all !!! Hang in there. Keep praying, and keep your eyes on Him above! Donated eggs I believe are the next best option near 100% success rate my doc says. He is in Brandon Florida behind Tower diagnostic by the Hospital.He won "best doctor"  Dr. Marc Bernhisel. Everyone he touches gets pregnant!  Keep the Faith! Best wishes,. Robert      
Specifically, are the any medical insurance companies that might help pay a portion of the cost for either IUI or In Vetro? I f so who? Please someone respond. It is so expensive!
I had 2 IUI's back to back today  . One was yesterday and the 2nd today . I had to have one becuase his sperm and my cm did not like each other  . They are killing each other off . Has anyone ever heard of this happening ? Also I wanted to know  how many people have had successgul IUI's  , and it is higher for twins ? Just asking I wanted to know , and wanted someone to talk to about this
Hello This is my second time having a IUI. The first time it didn't take. I had two insemanations back to back. So this pass sat and Sun I had it again. I took clomid this time. I hope this works, If not then I will have a IVF. I want to know does it hurt?  My insurance covers the treatment and the meds. So I am happy for that. So anyone who wants to talk I am here.
I don't know about anybody else, but we are currently using Aetna Health Insurance.  It has covered everything 100% (including meds).  There are also no limits on IUI's or IVF's.  I am 27 and my husband is 37.  We have been ttc for 2.5 years.  We have tried clomid at multiple strengths, follistem, and we just did our first IUI today, so keep us in your prayers!
I am new to this forum.  Congrats to those of you that have conceived and best of luck to those that are still trying.  I am 37 and my husband and I have been TTC for the past 3 years.  We just completed our 7th IUI & I just found out that my progesterone was 7.4 my doc whats it to be 10.  I have been taking injectiables for the last 5 rounds (follistium and ganerelex) when I had my estordial done it was a great 589 (which gave us great hope) only to find out about my progesterone.  My doc told me yesturday that he has some more ideas.  We have checked into IVF and are considering it.  My doc is not the type of doc that pushes for IVF so we just dont know what to do.  We were given a 62% chance with IVF and it would cost approx $9000.00 for 1-fresh and 1-frozen.  I am expecting my period on sat and have the tender breats and also the cramps.  I wish there were early pregnancy symptoms that would be different from period symptoms.  Still hoping that it worked but not holding my breathe.  If anyone can give me hope I NEED IT!  Have a Merry Christmas!
You are very fortunate that your insurance pays for it.  I know here in the state of pa.  Insurance companies are not required to pay for those procedures.  I have good insurance and they paid the majority of our IUI's.  I know in the states of nj & ny they also pay for IUI and IVF.
Hi Everyone. I've been reading everyone's posts and found that I share the same curiosities as many of you. A little history, I am 28 and my husband is 30. We have been married for 5 years, and I went off the pill right before then. We weren't trying right away but the hormones in the pill were giving me horrible migraines so originally I went off the pill for that reason. 3 months after my 25th birthday we officially started trying... this way our first would be born when I was 26 you see. Well no one ever told me that you can't plan for everything, and being a control freak this bothers me to this day... anyway, long story short still no baby. We are "unexplained" and my husband's counts are great.

I miscarried last year at 8 weeks, and an HSG indicated I had a uterine septum, which I then had surgically removed. I was on clomid only for about 3 months, just to enhance my ovulation since it was already determined that I was ovulating fine and my lining and hormone levels were normal. We then moved on to IUI. We did the first cycle with only 1 IUI, and then we did 2 more cycles with 2 IUI's. We skipped a month and decided to try one more time, also with 2 IUI's, still no luck. I at this point am extreemly frusterated and too have the feeling sometimes that fertility specialists are trying to get the most $$ out of you as they can. I'm wondering if they are even injecting sperm during the IUI sometimes. (not that I'm bitter or anything).

Anyway, so we are now to the point where we have to decide what to do next. I have never wanted to do IVF, I don't want to deal with the drugs, the egg collection, the hormones, the stress, the posibility of it not working even after knowing that fertilization took place and that they did put an embryo in there. And our insurance only covers diagnostic fertility procedures, which does help with blood work and some of the ultrasounds, but not when connected with the actual procedure.. and most of the places where I am charge from $20-$30K for one IVF round. I am 100% all for adoption, but my husband unfortunately isn't. The Dr is willing to do one more IUI, but honestly I feel like if it hasn't worked by now it most likely won't and I'm over the clomid for sure. It does give me hope to read the success stories, but just feel totally overwhelmed and drained from all of this. I just wanted to vent to people who understand. Thanks
Wow....I do feel so much better by reading everyone's stories &  that I am not alone.  I feel like it most of the time.  I am the only one in the group of my friends that will have to go to extremes to get pregnant.  My husband & I have been trying for 2 1/2 yrs.  We found out that he has a low sperm count & mobility & we too are trying to decide IUI vs. IVF.   My Dr. said we would only do 3 cycles of IUI before we moved on to IVF.  If we do the IUI then we will do the injections and I am nervious about it all!  

If we all knew what would work the first time then we would do it, but we don't.  I, like many of you, am a planner and this is impossible to plan.  The hardest part for me is seeing my husband struggle with the issue that he feels like this is his fault.  I "seem" to be fine but that does not mean much when so many other are fine and still struggle with getting pregnant.  

So, I am still waying the odds...go for it with IVF and increase my odds of getting pregnant by spending the extra $$ (my insurance does not cover infertilty) or try the IUI and hope for the best.  

Good luck!  God Bless!
I will try to make this as short as possible.  I got off birth control the last day of december...must have gotten pregnant as soon as I did.  Had a miscarriage in February.  Didn't need a DNC.  March we got married.  My period was coming later and later and then finally stopped.  I was put on Provera to get my period started and them clomid to help ovulate.  Did 50mg and no ovulation.  Did 100mg and no ovulation.  I didn't want to do a 3rd round.  I wanted a new option.  She referred me to FCI in Oakbrook.  Has anyone been there before?  Since I have a history of no ovualtion, would it be better to do IVF instead of IUI?  Is there certain questions I should ask the doctor there?  
First, I have never been to FCI in Oakbrook. Either in IUI or IVF process, it requires a lot of morning monitoring tests. So the location is really important. If it's closed to where you live, you can try since "she" (I guess you meant your doctor) referred you to go there.

Second, I am not sure if it makes difference between IUI & IVF if you don't ovulate. Either one requires a mature egg. However, studies say IVF may help women who can not ovulate to be pregnant. There's chance out there. Try it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/besttreatments/fertility-problems-treatments-ivf-for-women-with-problems-ovulating

The questions are good to ask either doctor or insurance company & yourself:
1. The price & insurance coverage
2. The detailed process and your own schedule (e.g. I travel a lot, I can not do IVF)
3. Side effects
4. What are other options if IUI or IVF is not successful.

Good Luck.
My husband (34) and I (29) have been ttc for 8 years. We were told 6 years ago that my husbands sperm count was very low (1 million). We have decided to try IUI, on 01/21 we met with the doctor and went over our options. We decided to start Clomid 50mg from day 3 of my cycle through day 7. My dr did an ultrasound on day 11 of my cycle and it showed 3 follicles in the right ovary the largest measuring 14mm and the others were much smaller, the left ovary showed 3 follices also with the largest follicle being 11mm. The doctor did say the 11mm follicle will probably not mature in time. I also took 1CC injection of Pregnyl last night between 9 & 10PM. My husband gave me the shot and it really didn't hurt at all. Today I have felt really anxious for the IUI that is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 9am.
Good luck to each of you that are TTC! You're all in my prayers.
Thanks for posting the question and getting a conversation going.

I've just turned 30 and have undergone 4 IUI's with no success.  1 with my husband whom has a fertility issue and the last 3 with a donor.  Each time I've been ready with at least 2 viable eggs, lining is 11mm, and timing has been right on with the help of clomid and ovidreal on cycle day 12.

I am devestated at this point.  Insurance covers nothing and I have one more shot before we run out of the donor speciman's we've already paid for.  Then it's back to square one and deciding to either go on with more IUIs or move on to IVFs that seem to be out of our reach financially.

I wish ALL of you the best of luck and know that you are NOT alone!
My husband and I have been ttc for about a year with no sucess (Me: 31/ DH: 36) despite normal ovulation and timed intercourse (using the Clearblue fertility monitor which I HIGHLY recommend). After visiting an RE we found out that he has poor sperm motility and morphology, but apparently I am 'normal' - anyway, we tired our first IUI this morning with no drugs and to be honest I'm not expecting it to be a sucess. I have read that the sucess rate for IUI is very low and I know how utterly awful it is to keep 'failing' month after month when everybody on the planet seems to be getting pregant, but we tried. My RE says to try 3 IUIs before moving onto IVF.

My cousin did IVF since she had endometriosis, and it was sucessful on the first shot- but alas she was 27. Still, if you are paying out of pocket IVF has much better rates of sucess. I live in NY and insurance does cover both IUI and IVF but only up to a certain dollar limit.

One thing I just wanted to mention to those considering either is that you have to go to the RE a lot in the early morning and it can be tough with work, so be prepared to discuss with your boss if you can.

I can only say that this really feels like one of the worst positions to be in and I feel for all of you. The best thing for me has been reading these posts and trying to stay positive. I will be devestated if this IUI doesn't work but I am sort of expecting it not to. My RE really isn't super helpful when it comes to meeting with her- all we see are her nurses. Has anybody experiened this?

Feel free to contact me if you want to talk as I think it's really important to talk since our poor husbands are getting the brunt of it!

Good luck to all and LOTS of baby dust!
hi everyone;D im 26 and my husband is 32, we too have been trying for 2 years to become pregnant but no success:( he has no sperms. I was looking for some advice on IUI and IVF that i came across this site. you know what eventhough we are all unlucky people coz we cant have babies naturally, im the unluckiest of all, coz in my country it's banned to have either procedures done!!! imagine that:((( now i have to look for clinics outside this F'n country and secretly reach my dream.
any ideas on where in asia these procedures are done best?
India is a good and cheap option
Hi!
I'm also new here. I'm 35; on my 2nd trial
1st was 100mg clomid and timed intercourse = failed
2nd is 100mg / Ovidrel shot / IUI = pending
Im on CD18 and not feeling any different.

I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility. DH fertility is fine.
I have been able to get pregnant in the past but now have been trying for 4+ years and nothing :(

hi my name is jessica  i  have been trying to conceive for two years. we have done three iui's and all three were unsuccessful. i was diagnosed with pcos and my dh is perfectly fine. I have been given injectables and i have been able to produce eggs that are mature enough all three times. but we dont know what is the problem my lining and everything is fine. We are at the same point as you. We dont know if we should continue with iui or just move on to ivf. We just want to be parents so bad and feel like we are loosing hope as time goes by and we get older. So I want to wish you the best and if you feel just like i am and money is not an issue i would just do ivf. For me and my dh unfortunately money is an issue our ins only covers iui but not ivf. So ofcourse that adds more stress to our situation.
best of luck and you will be a mommy.
heres some Baby dust :0)
Hello Everyone,
Im 35 yrs old female with three children. Unfortunatey, i did a Bilateral Tubal Ligation thinking I didnt wanted no more children. I been in a relationship for the past 6 yrs now and he only have one child. He is awared that I had done a BTL and that Im unable to have children, but we have been thinking of the possibility of doing a IVF. I understand that due to my age it will be a little difficult. I had done some research of some fertility clinic but not well convince. The point is that, I would like to know if anyone that so far had done their IVF, could give a list or the names of the fertility clinic they when so i could research the clinic and figure out if it is good for me?
Thank you.