Maternal & Child Community
If the baby has dropped, does that mean she will come soon??/OPEN FORUM...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

If the baby has dropped, does that mean she will come soon??/OPEN FORUM

I went to the doctor on Friday and they said the baby has dropped. They did not check to see if I was dialated at all but they want me to come back today to see if anything has changed. Does that mean she will come soon if she has dropped?? I really hope so!!
I have always heard it means they are coming soon. I had two friends and within I believe a week of "dropping" they started having contractions and delivered. I do know one girl that dropped and saw her and the next day she had her daughter. I guess it just depends on the baby.
Congrats! maybe walk and she will come a little faster!!!
DD dropped really early and if I remember correctly it took at least two more weeks before I had her
That's exciting!  How far along are you right now?
How far along are you?  I have passed the 40pound mark :-)  Now I have gained 41 pounds and will be 30w tommorw.  I bet you ready to have that baby.  
Yayy.... I hope you go in soon.  Heck, I hope I go in soon too. :) At last check at 35 weeks, she was still a little high. But I can tell by the increase in bathroom trips that she dropping slowly. Although, i have a feeling that she wont be here until may.  Good luck :) Hows the swelling?
Kris/special teacher- I am 36 weeks and I have gained 50 lbs. UGH!!

Newbie- The swelling just keeps getting worse. On Friday when I went in my feet and ankles were so swollen that I could barely walk.  I also had +1 protein in my urine.  I go back today to see if anything has changed. :)
I went to the doctor on Thursday and u/s on Friday and my baby has dropped as well.  He/She is 6lbs 6oz and is in position.  He also said my cervix has thinned but I was not dialated yet.  He said this all means that I can go anytime.  He told me what to look for and when to call him.  It can mean today or three weeks from now but when it happens its ok.  The baby is ready.

:)  So I guess that means the same for you.  Since they want you to come back so fast it makes me wonder if you were dialted.  My guess is yes and they want to see if you did anymore over the weekend.

Good Luck.  She's almost here.
My DD dropped MONTHS before I gave birth.  I hope it happens the other way for you.....
I hope it is soon, I am frustrated! :)
If you drop, are you able to breathe better?? I can breathe so much better today than I have been able to for some time, even when I'm sitting down which is odd. Also, do you discharge more often??
I dropped about 4 weeks ago and Dr. told me it could come early or could not.  He said it was normal for a 1st time mother to drop 2 or more weeks before delivory and for 2nd time mothers you don't drop until labor is about to start.  This is my 2nd so that theory did not work for me.  He said not to expect her anytime soon unless I start to thin or dialate along with dropping and I have not done eather.  I am only 35 weeks now.  What did the Dr. say today when you went back?  Any dialation?
I carried really low all during my Pregnancy w/ my daughter, so I could never tell when I dropped, but she came out in 3 1/2 hours after my water broke! It seems the last month is the worst, I lived on the couch for the last month, I hardly went anyhwere besides my prenatal visits. I feel for you! Is anyone else in Dealing with this ridiculus April Nor'easter? I am in NH and Totally getting slammed! Enough w/ the snow and rain! I want to see my tulips coming up! sorry, besides the point, but I am staring out the window as I type this...
i dropped weeks and weeks and weeks before my delivery last time
best of luck
I went to the doctor today and she said I am thinned out but not dialated yet. I don't know how long after thinning out dialation starts. I can breathe a little better since she dropped. She couldn't give me any indication on when I could deliver, she said it could be tomorrow or 4 weeks from now-how helpful! I just wish I knew!! I live in Pennsylvania so we are dealing with the noreaster storm also! ! YUCK-I am ready for spring!! :)  Thanks for all of your help!! :)
I dropped with my son a few weeks before I had to be induced, they thought I might go early, but went over a week past due.  I'm sorry that does not help, but most women have their little one soon after.  A friend of mine took about 2 weeks after hers dropped to go into labor.  Sounds like you're getting ready!
That is exactly what my doctor said.  And yes this stupid storm flooded my brand new finished basement (where I had all the baby stuff that I did not put away yet)

Baby stuff ok, but carpet ruined.  ARGH!

Good luck, hope you go this week.
I am sorry to hear about your basement-that sucks!  As if you don't have enough stress right now. I am miserable today-this baby better come soon-I can't take it much longer!! :)
Maybe the weather is a sign.  We had beautiful weather the last month till I was going to go in and have my baby, then a freak snowstorm, when the weather changes like that I guess it can stir up the amniotic sac, or at least that's what the labor and delivery nurses kept joking about.  So many women went into spontaneous labor that they ran out of rooms, my induction had to be put off a day (I was lucky to get in the next day too).  They even had women laboring in the triage rooms in the ER till they could free up space.  Had to open up the pediatrics rooms to put women there.  I hope it doesn't go that way for you, but maybe you'll go into labor on your own.  I was so miserable at the end.  The last month I was downright crabby when I would go in to work everyday.  Even had to go home one day due to strong contractions coming at a good pattern.  I was throwing up, etc.  Then they stopped and I had to go back to work the next day.  It's not fun, but at least you know it will be in a matter of weeks.  Thinning is good, once you thin out you can dialate faster!
i would like to knowhow can u tell if the baby have dropped or not. i will be 9 months next week and i am scard that if the baby dont drop then i would have to get a C section and thats the one thing that i do not want.
I am 36 weeks today and my baby has dropped and Is in position. I went to the hospital last night because my contractions were 2 mins apart, but they stopped it cause I was not dialated but she did say the babys head was really low and my cervix is thinning out. She said ill be having her real soon about a week or  two if that..im excited. But yes I feel the urge to pee more often, alot of pressure especially when I walk and youll know when your baby has dropped cause you can breathe better aling with all those symptoms :) good luck too all of you im routing for you all
If you're baby sits high doesn't mean that he/she hasn't dropped yet. Sittn high depends on the size of the baby. And once your placenta comes out wheither you dropped or not means that baby coming that day or tomorrow. I habe three boys and 34 wks pregnant with another boy. So trust me dropping doesn't always matter.
If you're baby sits high doesn't mean that he/she hasn't dropped yet. Sittn high depends on the size of the baby. And once your placenta comes out wheither you dropped or not means that baby coming that day or tomorrow. I have three boys and 34 wks pregnant with another boy. So trust me dropping doesn't always matter.
Your placenta does not come out until AFTER the baby is born.  If you have this many children and don't know what the placenta does or when it is delivered, you really should refrain from offering advice to anyone.  If the placenta came out before the baby, the baby would die inside of you.
with my first child he never dropped until 10 mins before I had to push. the nurses just had me do a few "practice pushes" and as soon as the doc came into the room he finally dropped! so I don't think you will have to have a c-section if your baby doesn't drop right away! but I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant with my second child and this baby has already dropped and I'm 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. So hopefuly I won't go into pre-term labor. :/
wow, that was not a very nice comment. The person probably misspoke. Yikes.
I am 33 weeks this Saturday and my baby has dropped and I feel a lot of pressure when I walk or move alot and I have shortness of breath still , my doctor says that my  baby is head down and has been for awhile this is my second baby. My first was 3 weeks early and I am not due till may 9. Could I be having this baby early like my first one?