Maternal & Child Community
I'm curious... why do women get their tubes tied?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So this question came up today in my mommy class.. we discussed bc options. There are so many options out for women like pills, patches, and of course the iud.. why do women still get their tubes tied?  i'm so curious... i know that it is safer for a man to get a vasectomy so i am just wondering how many women still do get their tubes tied...  i myself will never get my tubes tied... my mom got hers tied when she was done with kids and has had problems with it ever since..  I guess i just kind of want to know your reasonings.. im so curious.. = ) I in no way am judging you.. nor do i think its wrong.. im just wondering thats all
Please please don’t get your tubes tied. I did in 2001 and had a lot of problems which led to me having to get a Partial Ablation with a D&C. There are so many options out there now to consider. Oh to answer your question I did it because I was not aware of my choices. At that time I thought I did not want any more children so I made the worse mistake of my life and that was getting my tubes tied. Dumb huh?    
I got my tubal done right at the same time as my c-section for my 3rd baby.  I chose this because I am done having babies.  I love my 3 girls to pieces, but I honestly could not handle having any more kids.  Emotionally, 3 is enough for me.  Each pregnancy has taken its toll on my body.  Its been years since I've felt 100% good.  I've had 3 c-sections.  I've basically been pregnant and/or nursing for the past 5 years.  So I think its best for me to not have any more for the physical part.  Also, financially this is all we can afford.  I am a stay at home mom, and for me to be able to do that, this is our max.  
My husband may still go ahead and get a vasectomy, but for now my tubal is good enough.  He probably would have had the vasectomy instead, but since I was already having surgery we decided it made the most sense.  

I have used all kinds of birth control over the years, and it is nice to know I never have to think about it again.  I don't do well with all the hormonal options, and I have no desire to have an IUD.  We used condoms after our second baby.  I'm glad I don't have to deal with those anymore either.  
I discussed with my dr. getting my tubes tied when I was about 35.  THen I couldn't go through with it. It was just too permanent. We even decided to try for another baby after that, nothing happened.  I decided I must not need to have my tubes tied. I couldn't get pregnant trying. At 38 I had a tumor and ovary removed so I really knew there would be no more babies after that which was ok, I was past the "wanting another baby thing".  At almost 39 I found out I was pregnant. At the time, I was horrified.  I worried about my age, the dr.s make you feel like your risks are so high and you feel like a basket case.  The pregnancy was very, very hard. I was so sick and missed a lot of work.  I really had a hard time.  I knew I was blessed to be given this surprise gift of another child, but knew I could not go through another pregnancy.  I am so thankful for Rhett but had my last tube tied when my c-section was done.  3 kids ages 18, 12 and newborn, 3 c-sections, almost 40, I knew I was done.  

Honestly, now, I have questioned it at times, especially when my friends on here are pregnant again, but for the most part, I am good, no side effects or problems.  I never liked the pill and really used no birth control for 12 years. I really didn't think I could get pregnant again but when I found out I could, I kind of panicked! If I had to make the choice again, now that I'm not pregnant and so blessed with my little baby, I probably wouldn't get them tied.  It is really a hard choice. And so many women that do it, end up changing their minds at some point.
My girl friend just had her's done a month ago, all she would say is that "she is done". I dont think I could ever get my done, I always think about the "what ifs".....My mom had her's done after my youngest sister and she had so many prob's, she even got pregnant with twins(again, but lost them)!!! because she had some many prob's, she end up having a hysterectomy...
my cousin just got hers done .. she is only 24.. that is soo crazy,.. she has three kids but who knows in 10 years .. she may want another one.. its just so permenant to me and i don't think i could ever go through it..  
well here is my take I am 41 years old got twins from IVF, I had mine tied because..

1) the rate of downs goes way up at my age
2) With my luck I would get pregnant and I didnt want to have to make a determination on what to do with it,
3) While I am sad that I am done having kids, after what happened my doc said next round could and probably would kill me, it is a personal choice, and i felt I did waht was in the best interest of me and my family
I had my tubes tied along with the c-section of my second daughter.  I cannot take bc pills due to my cancer, an IUD was not recommended.  Since I was already having a planned c, it was just safer to go ahead and fix the situation permanently.  I'm taking medication that is seriously not safe to become pregnant while taking, so something permanent had to be done.  And for us, this was the best "most effective and immediate" method.  I've never had any problems with it.  My mom tied her tubes in her late 30s after those wonder BAD IUDs that were out.  Her situation turned me off ever thinking of doing that.  After her surgery (which was one of the early laproscopics) she never had any problems either.

I guess it's mostly personal choice and definitely determined by your situation in life.
You know I wonder the same thing because most women I know end up regretting getting their tubes tied anyway. I do know some women may do it because of health concerns, but if there are no concerns I don't get it. Personally I have no idea if I really willl want  another baby or not but am not willing to get a tubal ligation done just incase. I'm gana try the IUD
You know I think my sister had one done. She did it because she has had 5 kids and is not in the greatest financial situation and really can't handle any more. I think my step sister did too but it was because with her last two pregnancies she had serious problems and with her last the placenta went through her uterus and caused real bad problems and she was told she may die if she gets pregnant again.
In my experience, its the exact opposite.  All the women I know that chose to get a tubal were quite pleased with their decision.  Besides the posts i've read on here, I have yet to meet anyone who regretted the decision.  I don't personally know anyone who has tried to have a reversal either.  
I was considering doing it with this csection.  I am 32 and having my second baby.  I can't do it.  I am going to wait a couple years to see our financial situation and then make a decision.  My doctor said he can do it vaginally now.  
If the woman is having a c-section anyway, it does not seem to be that big a deal to get a tubal ligation.  But for a woman who had her children naturally, I don't understand why, in a committed couple, the man does not get a vasectomy instead.  It is a much simpler operation.  This opinion is informed by all the grief we see on this site from women who regret their tubals, and although that is doubtless a very select sample of women, the misery it can cause is so sad.  

That all said, my sister had her tubes tied in her early 20s, never regretted it, never had any problems or complications.  She just flat-out knew from an early age that she wasn't interested in having kids.  She's in her early 50s now, happy as a lark, in a wonderful marriage and has indeed never had any issue with her decision.
my friend got an iud after her second child.. she was DONE!!  Got pg with the IUD!! so thus got tubes tied after the third hahaha
i guess it really is a personal decision and I honestly do get that..  It just seems so final to me and I guess I just couldn't live with that. Maybe its just because I'm young right now.. maybe my views would change down the road.
I had a tubal ligation when I was 24.  I knew I was done having children after having two.  I did not want to ever be able to change my mind on a whim, as seems to happen so often.

I didn't want to rely on my husband to have it done, because as we all know, husbands can come and go.  I wanted it done for myself, forever.  I wanted to be sure I did not succumb to "baby fever".  I was done, and I wanted to be done even if my marriage failed and I remarried.  

When you are deciding on a permanent means of birth control, you should be adult enough to understand that permanent means forever.  If you are not forever ready to be done having children, do not choose a permanent means of birth control.

I never had any problems after it.  Simple, outpatient procedure.  
My husband and I are trying to decide what's best for us as we speak. We discussed tubal ligation and vasectomy just yesterday. However, when I looked up risks and benefits, with vasectomy it said it doubles the mans risk of prostate cancer and heart disease increases as well. Also, it says some men have erectile dysfunction. No thanks. So, I then went to tubal ligation risks and it says that some women have severe PMS and pelvic pain after tubals? Anyone know any stories like this? I'm opting to get my tubes tied since I will be 36 this year, Ben and I will have two children together and we will have six total, with my girls. I just struggle with the permanency of it, but I don't know why. We KNOW we are done having kids and want no more after this baby is born!

I have tried so many forms of hormonal birth control in my lifetime. The shot, pills, and Mirena IUD. I have had bad experiences with all of them. Decreased sex drive, weight gain, mood swings, acne, etc, etc...so I had the copper IUD and LOVED IT. BUT, I did notice that when I had the copper IUD, which has no hormones, I got bacterial infections almost every month with my period. NOT FUN. So, that came with it's list of problems as well. I also had very heavy periods with the IUD, but loved that I didn't have to worry about hormonal side effects. I got the IUD out and went on Yasmin for a few months before this pregnancy and it wasn't bad. The side effects seemed mild and something I could tolerate but it zapped my sex drive almost completely. I hate that.

So, back to tubal ligation. I go back and forth every day. I keep thinking I don't want to mess things up, but I also really, really do not want to have another child! I've always done pregnancy so well but this time around has not been easy at all. Physically, it has been the easiest. No morning sickness, no problems, nothing. But, emotionally it has been H E L L. I am an emotional basketcase this time around and I'm not sure why, but I never want to go through this again. Back to tubal ligation! I think we will go that route. I just hope and pray I don't have any problems after! My Mom had it done. I think I am going to have to have a chat with her and see what she says about hers.
Called Mom. She has had NO problems other than cramping for a few days after the procedure. On the hunt now, for more positive stories! I am opting for tubal ligation.
Well, so far I don't have any problems with my tubal.  Its only been a couple of months though.  I haven't had a period yet, and I am breastfeeding so who knows when that will be.  The procedure is pretty easy now, even if you aren't having a c-section like I did. I did feel a little sad right after getting it done, but it was more because I know my child bearing years are over.  It was almost like I was mourning that or something.  I absolutely do not want any more children, so I do feel good about getting it done.

I'll have to read up on vasectomy.  My husband has considered getting that done as well.  I don't know if I will want him to though, if there is a lot of problems with them.

Oh, and Jenstam, I know my Mom had it done years ago also and she never had a problem with it either.
Well, I'm glad you haven't had problems with yours so far. I know it's more simple now. I am not having a c-section done (unless there are problems) so I'm not sure if they will do it differently, but if they will do it at the hospital after I give birth I will just have it done if that's what we decide. Strongly leaning towards the tubal. I'm curious though, why would your husband get the vasectomy done if you have your tubes tied? Thanks for sharing your experience!
He really doesn't want anymore children.  We actually were only going to have the 2, but then I got pregnant with Cassandra.  We had been using condoms, and just one time didn't and that was all it took!  He had a really hard time with the fact that I was pregnant again.  Now that she is here, he is happy of course, but wants to make sure this never happens again.  He is a big baby about stuff though, so I don't really think he will ever go and get it done.
I should also say, I didn't get the tubal just because he doesn't want any more babies.  I know in my heart that I don't want anymore children either.  We talked about all of this for many hours.  We are definately on the same page, and know it was the best thing for us to do.  He is also 10 years older than me, so for him his age is a factor.  I mean, he is only 41, but he does feel that he is getting to old to be having any more babies.
I have not had my tubes tied but DH and I are discussing permanent forms of BC now.  I have never had a good experience with adding hormones to my body or with the copper IUD.  We are done having children and like Peek I don't want to get wrapped up in baby fever a few years down the road.  If I were to have a c-section this time around I may just have my tubes tied while they are there... if I have a VBAC DH will be getting a vasectomy.  

So, in regards to your post question of with all the other forms of BC why would you do this, to me the answer is simple : you want something permanent.  A pill you have to take every day and be dedicated with to have good protection, condoms can add up, etc.  Plus I am paranoid about getting cancer and adding hormones to my body is something I just won't do.  So that's why I would.