Maternal & Child Community
I'm so confused about the hcg levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I'm so confused about the hcg levels

ok i hope someone can help me .... i took 3 pregnancy tests all came out positive went to the doctor and he said it was a weak positive and sent me to have all the pregnancy tests. said it was either a early pregnancy or a troubled pregnancy. well a day later i started having really bad pains so i went to the er and long story short they said they thought it was a early pregnancy my hcg level was 9  and the day before that is what it was when i had the test that my doctor ordered .... what does a 9 mean i'm so confused can anyone tell me what that means????
I recently had a mc, my hcg levels werent very good. After going through my ordeal I was informed by the Drs that for a person to be pregnant, the hcg levels have to be above 5-6miu. Some HPT (brans vary)picks up a pregnancy very early, which is why you have 9miu, which would strongly indicate that you are very early pregnant. I would think that the Drs would ask you to come back for anothet test within a week or so which should see your levels rising, as it should double every 2days.

I hope this info helps you somewhat.

Chrisy

Just checked out a webssite that might help as well:
www.allaboutmoms.com/hcg.html

Have fun.
Chrisy
I recieved a phone call yesterday from my OB. She said my HCG level was very low. I ask what it was and she said it was 66 on Nov 7th. I concieved on Oct 18 and the first day of my last period was oct 4th. I also had a HCG test done on the 3rd of Nov. It was 10 . So, my #s are multiplying correctly, they are just very low #s. so,,,,,does this mean my pregnancy is probably bad? I have had no sighns of miscarriage or ectopic. Everything is like all my other pregnancies.....except a low level. Any insight into this would be appreciated!
I'm sorry this has nothing to do with your question. But I tried to post a question and the thread was full. What I wanted to know is to when you are pregnant are there any medicines that you can take for a cold. Becuase I don't know if this is sinus drainage or a cold.Because when I throw up I blow my nose and blood comes out. Not an excessive amount but enough to kinds scare me. I turn two months yesterday. Also, I have this annoying fling (sorry) in the back of my throat that causes me to feel like I wanna throw up. I also have an excessive amount of saliva. so can anyone offer me any advice. Because I'm really miserable.

Thanks!!!
I am also surprised he wouldn't have you come back to retest.  It sounds like it could just be a very early pregnancy.
The best thing to do with low HCG levels is to insist with your doctor that they check them every few days.  It is true that a lot of cases with low HCG end badly, but not ALL!  So I think you should continue to hope, but be vigilant.  In my case, my HCG continued to go up even after extensive bleeding and cramping.  However, we watched it closely, and it did start to fall eventually, signalling the end of the pregnancy.  (Mine was an ectopic that didn't show up on the u/s - it was too small, and eventually passed on its own, but it took a looooong time!)  Anyway, I hope your experience is better than mine.  Be sure to keep an eye on it, and if your pain increases, get thee to a doctor!
To comment on nanny's post:
I too had exsesive saliva when I was pregnant, so not sure if that is from cold, or just because of PG.
Your doctor is the only one who can recomend anything as far as cold medicine goes.  Mine wouldn't even let me have cough drops!

I did find that sucking on some sugar free candy helped the saliva problem, or chewing gum.

Anamari
This is in response to the low hCG level question...
I am in a similar situation right now. My results came back at 10. My OB-GYN was confused and said this could be either a very early pregnancy, a possible miscarriage or troubled pregnancy (as I spotted for over 3 weeks), or a false positive with the lab. All of my HPTs have come back negative. I'm afraid to take another, I don't want to get my hopes up!

I have another blood draw on Friday, and an OB-GYN appt on Monday. Hopefully I will know something by then.

To everyone with log hCG levels in early pregnancy:
Did you have signs and symptoms of pregnancy? Were they mild or did they increase over time?

Let us know what happened!!! Some peace of mind would be great about now :)

stefani

I think as long as your doubling, you're ok.  At 4 weeks LMP the range is like 4-426 according to the internet site I found.  And at 5 weeks it is 19-7340.  You are w/in range....
Please help...
I found out last Thursday 11/13 that I was pregnant. What a shock!  I had started having bleeding around 10/09 - that was brown and it continued off and on and then it progressed to bleeding, alternating spotting and heavy bleeding with clots throughout the month and finally tapered off to minimal spotting. I have had two ultrasounds done, my doctor stated that he saw a fluid sac on one and thought this was a cyst that had burst or something (this was before I found out I was pregnant) and I just had another one done and nothing was found on this. I had my HCG level checked on Thursday 11/13 and it was 20, it was checked again on 11/14 and it was 21.7, I had it checked again on Monday 11/17 and it had dropped to a 16 and I had it checked again on Tuesday 11/18 and it was 31.7. My doctor seems to think I had a miscarriage.  I was thinking maybe so but is it possible that I could have gotten pregnant since that miscarriage which caused my level to increase on Tuesday?  I am so confused about these hcg levels.  I am scared, I can't sleep and I am so frustrated - I have been trying to get pregnant for a long time.  I just had surgery in March to remove cysts and had ovarian drilling done.  I am mad because I called my doctor in early October and told them that I skipped my period for September (they had been regular since the surgery) and he felt like I was relapsing into the symptoms of Polycystic ovarian syndrome and told me to wait it out, now I wish that I had went to the doctor or took a hpt because I was probably pregnant then and didn't know it.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated....
hey everyone
    just a fast update .... i lost the baby ... i went to the ER and they said i had a m/c ... i can't believe how bad this hurts.
i never thought in a million years that having a m/c would leave me feeling this empty... i'm hoping that i will be able to have a normal pregnancy. thanks for all your help answering my question. you all are great! best of luck to all of you.:(
I did IVF and had 2 blastocysts transfer on day 6 which was 11/15
on 11/20 i had a hcg level of 16, on 11/22 it went to 78, on 11/25 it went up to 189 and confirmed I was in fact pregnant. I went again on 11/28 and it only went up to 315. It was close to doubling but not exactly..do you think this is ok? I have read that normal pregnancies will about double w/in 48-72 hours..any advice would be great.

thanks