Maternal & Child Community
Im worried I cant become pregnant again after an abortion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi everyone, Im really worried as when I was 17 I fell pregnant for the very 1st time unfortunatly coz of my situation at the time I had an abortion and I deeply regret it.. I am no longer with that partner any longer due to domestic violence issues. Anyway since my abortion I have tried and tried to become pregnant to this day and nothing has happened. I am greatly concerned that I have completly messed my chances of ever conceiving again. I am so scared that having that abortion has stopped me from conceiving ever again as it has not happened for me again :( Everyone has said to me that I will become pregnant and that I can still have them (my mum family and friends etc) but I have asked to get checked but they said they have no way on checking but when I have been in hospital before I have had an internal scan and they said my ovaries were beautiful.. but that dosn't mean I can still get pregnant. I am so confused and so worried I just want to have my chance again the one I missed out on :'( thankyou for listening xx
stop blaming yourself for doing what was the right thing for you at the time. you were too young and that child would have been in a bad situation at that time if you hadn't done something. you may have lost it due to the domestic violence anyways. unless it was a botched abortion (and it doesn't seem like it was since the docs say everything looks great) you should be able to get pregnant again. your chance will come if you relax about the idea a bit and just enjoy being young still. most women who try will have a harder time conceiving until they give up then they get pregnant. they stress about getting pregnant all the time that their bodies cant handle the stress and the baby at the same time. just relax a bit and enjoy life right now. good luck and hope everything works out for you and new partner.
Back when we were 16 my friend was in a situation where she had moved into her boyfriends house and he started being violent to her (due to family situation she couldn't go home) she became pregnant and secretly had an abortion because she didn't want to bring an innocent child into her situation...... thankfully she isn't with him any longer but she is now married with 2 children and extremely happy..... so please try not to think negatively..... plus I (although haven;t had any abortions) stopped taking my pill 5 years ago and have only just fallen pregnant..... so be patient although i no it's tough and just have fun trying :)
I'm very curious why a doctor would say he has "no way of checking" why you are infertile.  

You may not be ovulating,  you may have progesterone problems that are causing you to be unable to carry an embryo, you may have blood sugar fluctuations that are causing it to be hard to carry an early pregnancy,  your husband (boyfriend?) may have low sperm count,   you may have blocked tubes,  and yes,  you may have scarring from your abortion that is making you infertile.

If you are asking,  "am I infertile because of my abortion",  they might say well we really don't know if that's the cause of your current infertility problems.

But without a diagnosis of what the problem actually IS,  you won't be able to move forward.

Best wishes.