Maternal & Child Community
In Hospital/ Placental Abruption

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

In Hospital/ Placental Abruption

Hi everyone. Well last wednesday I woke up with lots of dark spotting (old blood). I woke my husband up and we went to the hospital. My Dr. met us there. They did the fern test to make sure my water hadn't ruptured. I was cramping bad and contracting every three minutes. The test came back negative. They started me on Magnesium to help stop the contractions and gave me my first shot of steroids. Since I was so early (24weeks 5days) the dr sent my by ambulance an hour to the University hospital in case I did deliver.The NICU here is better for such early preemies. They kept me on the Mag. here and gave me another steroid shot the next day . Everything quieted down and the babies were(are)doing fine. They did ultrasounds but couldn't find the area where the abruption was occuring. Apparently it has to be a larger area before it can be seen. The spotting completely stopped and I was going to go home Mon but on Sun I was just lying in my hospital bed and I gushed a lot of bright red blood. FREAKED OUT! I thought for sure my water had broke. Again more tests showed it hadn't. Hooked me up for 24 hours to monitor the babies. Now I'm still spotting a little but just hanging out in a wait and see mode. They did another u/s to see if they could now see the tear but no.I do have a low lying placenta so that concerns them too. The babies are doing fine. Jumping around all the time! At least it's a whole nother week and they are better off now than they were last week and hopefully we can get to at least 32 weeks but..............
my goodness!! sorry you're going through this, but i'm happy to hear that your babies are doing okay. i hope they figure out where all this is coming from and can take care of it. good luck!! thinking of you.
I am so sorry for what you are going through right now.

I hope everything works out for you and I will be praying for you and your babies.
So sorry to hear about this.  Where are your twins now?  (The allready born setr.) Whose taking care of them?  Im assuming youll have to be on bed rest for the next several weeks - can you get someone to help you with them?
are you back home now?  I am so sorry this is happening to you.  Just keep positive and everything will be fine.
Yeesh!  What you have been through!!!!!  I hope this is the last of the biggies as far as scares and stresses go.  Good thing you have such good care!  I'm glad the kids stayed in, every single day at this point helps.  Take CARE of yourself in every way, I'll be thinking of you and praying everything stays until term.  Annie
Oh my goodness!  What a scare!!  I'm glad you're all doing okay now and I'm sooooo hoping you make it to 32 weeks.  Keep up the good work mama!!
Oh, no!  Keep those babies inside.  Get through one day at a time.
My DD was born at 30.5 wks and was 3lbs 4oz. She spent 1 month in hospital and is 2 now and is very healthy. My placenta detached and that is why I had early labor even though they tried to postpone delivery w/steroids. Just take it easy and relax, relax and relax! Try to get through a couple of more wks. The hospitals these days have wonderful nicu care. Its actually bittersweet when baby is ready to go home because you form a great relationship with the nurses. Take care everthing will be alright. Best wishes
How scary for you!  I'm praying for you, your family and the babies.  The longer they stay in the better it will be.  Keep us posted.  I am praying for you!

Melissa
thanks everyone! I just got back from the activity room. They have a session once a week for moms who are here long term so we can get out of our rooms and talk. We made tye-dyed onsies today! There's a woman here from my where I'm from and she's been here since June 6th and will be here another four weeks.
My dh is bringing the twins up tonight in about 2 hours. I can't wait! I've seen them once in a week. He's been great taking care of things at home. We've been fortunate that both grandmas and an uncle have been able to come into town and take care of the kids.I still feel bad because we can't explain to them why mommy isn't home and they are confused. Thanks again for all the prayers and well wishes.I'll do what I can to keep these little girls in where they belong!
oh wow - she really is your little miracle (or should i say BIG)!! I was born 6 weeks early and in those days that was considered pretty premature - i weighed 4"12 and was in the hospital incubator for about 25 days after birth. i can't imagine such a little baby, but am amazed at reading your story. wishing you lots of health and happiness from your next one too.
Hello, I was just wondering if you were in Tucson??
I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I hated when I was in the hospital.  I was only  there 9 days and it felt like weeks. Is the fluid level okay with the twins? Did they tell you the amount of fluid there was?
mommaprops thanks for a story with a happy ending! My Dr. was going to deliver me at 35 weeks so if I can make it to late sept that would be great.

cowgirl. I'm in Iowa but the weather has been like Tucson! They have checked the fluid a lot and it is all good. Both babies have an equal amount.

I wanted to send you some words of encouragement. I have 3 children and my youngest is almost 4. Her name is Hannah and she was born at 23 weeks 4 days. Her heart rate began to drop after my membranes ruptured. She was so small, 1 pound 3 ounces. She was in the hospital for only 11 weeks and today she is so beautiful. Most people get shocked to hear how early she was because she has not 1 health problem. She does not even need glasses. She had no surgeries - she was perfect except for being small. The doctors call her a miracle. MIRACLES do happen. I am now 13 weeks pregnant and next week I am getting a cerclage - the dr is going to sew up my cervix so I do not deliver early. They are also putting me on bedrest for the next 20 weeks. It is all worth it in the end. I am so sorry you have to be away from your twins but when you come home with the new set it will all seem worth it. Keep us posted and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had the exact same thing happen to me with my first child. (he was a single though) It is really scary. I woke up, had some stomach pains like an upset stomach, went to the restroom & there it was, bright red blood. I was so scared. I was 29 weeks. It was the end of July & I was due mid October. My husband rushed me to the hospital. By the time we got there the bleeding was real bad. They also could not find the tear. It healed on its own. My obg didn't think I was going to make it to September. Well, my son was born October 22. He was 9 days late & made a lot longer than my  doctor thought he would. By the way he was 10.1 lb & 22 1/2 inches!! Bed rest is hard to do, but worth it & I did lose my mp about a week or two after the bleeding. No big deal. I bet you'll be just fine! My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family. Good luck!
Wow! what a great story. I'm so happy that your daughter is so healthy. I'm confident that if I do end up delivering early my girls will be okay. Thanks!
I hope you are doing OK. Boy oh Boy these babies are putting you through the ringer! I hope you r  stay in the hosp. is not too bad but remember, it is the best place for you right now. The Dr's & nurses are there to take care of your precious cargo & keep you all safe for as long as possible. I will pray for you all & hope you can stick it out for a few more weeks! Hang in there, & good Luck! Lots of HUGS!
Thanks. I know staying here is what is best. My sister keeps reminding me that I'll want the quiet and tranquil environment of my hospital room when I have two crying newborns and the other twins are throwing a temper tantrum all at the same time! I really don't mind staying here but it's so hard on my husband and kids. I would feel much better if we already had our mother's helper position filled and we had one person there all the time with the kids instead of different people every few days.I know they'll be okay but it's hard because I know that they don't understand why their mommy isn't there everyday.
wishing you all the best.  I too went thru a similar experiece.  At 29 weeks I woke up in a pool of bright red blood.  I was rushed to the hospital where they checked the fluid and started me on magnesium sulfate.  I have never been so hot in all me life.  I was on that all day all nite with ice chips because they were in fear of an emergency c-section if they couldn't stop the contrations.  The next day everything calmed down a little bit and I was switched to tributalane.  Talk about the shakes.  But at least I could drink water and I wasn't a burning mess.  I still bled, they kept me in bed with a catheter.  I stayed there and took one day at a time.  I was going to have my little guy stay in.  They gave me a shot of steroids and at 32 weeks and 5 days I started bleeding again.  With an amnio they discovered the steroids had develped his lungs enough and I had a c-section that day at 1233pm.  Hang in there.  EVERYDAY counts.
hi when my mum gave birth 11 weeks early to my sister and i we were v small at (me 2lb 8oz)(my sis 2lb 4oz) and we are now two healthy 23 years old and both have our own babies to think about.So no matter if you are a few weeks early dont be down about it cause doctors these days can work miracles and i feel your babies are strong enough to survive early birth.
Hope this helps you and i send you big (((((((((hugs)))))))