Maternal & Child Community
Induced with Pitocin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Induced with Pitocin

What happens when induced with pitocin? I am scheduled to be induced tomorrow morning at 4:30. This is my 4th child and I have never had pitocin. I've heard HORRRIBLE stories about pitocin. I have never had an epideral either! Am I going to have to have one and what are the changes of a c-section when being induced with pitocin? The anxiety is getting the high with all of this and I'm VERY nervous! Is it really that bad? I am 1 1/2 cm. and 20% efaced. How long does it normaly take to dialate with pitocin? If anyone can answer these questions I would be very greatful! Thank you!
I was contracting well on my own, but would stall and then stop, so I had to be induced with both of my sons.  I did get an epidural with both, but I think after you have had a baby your body remebers what to do, they may only need to get you far enough to break your water.  My sil had pitocin with her second baby, she wanted to be induced becasue she was tired of being pregnant.  She was almopst 2 weeks before her due date.  Even then, once they started her, they broke her water an hour later and she had her baby 3 hours from start to finish.  Her first one was fast too.  She did not feel her contractions, her husband literally had to tell her when she was having them, she never even noticed the tightening till the last 20 min.  Then she went from a 7 to complete and had her little girl in a few pushes.  It's so crazy because she was calm and felt nothing till the end.  She was bored and called me at work and talked several times up till the end.  Me, I took 38 hours the first time, and I was already contracting every 6 to 7 minutes when they admitted me that morning.  I made it to the second day and a little bit after my water broke till I needed the epidural.  Had it not been so long and had I not had bad back labor for 2 days, I probably could have made it without.  I did react to the pitocin both times, my uterus got hyperstimulated and I did not come down from the peak of my contraction.  I have heard they are stronger, but it depends on the person and the baby.  My second one only took 11 hours and didn't need the epidural till I got hyperstimulated again.  Once they got me comfortable they had to turn down the pitocin and let my uterus calm down, but it was fine.  I bet you'll just need a kickstart and you'll take off just fine.  Both of mine were induced and came out fine, no C-section needed.  Good luck!
I did just fine with pitocin yes it was painful. However to make you feel a bit of relief I did it 3 times without pain meds. Each one of my labors didn't progress well enough to do it without pitocin. You'll do great! It will be worth it when its over, Best Wishes to a happy healthy delivery!
In my experiance pitocin made my contractions stronger and longer than when I didn't have pitocin.  But I have heard some women not notice any difference.  And if you get an epidural then you won't notice the difference anyway.  And there is a chance that you won't need the pitocin for the whole labor, they may just use it to get you going.
Congrats!  You will be holding your little one in your arms soon!!  And who knows, with any luck you will go into labor today or tonight! walk walk walk, thats what did it for me!