Maternal & Child Community
Infanitle Seborrheic Dermatitis(aka cradle cap on face)? LONG!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My baby was dx with ISD when she was 3 weeks old.  The doctor said it should go away at the most by 6 months. She's now 3 months and still has it bad.  He gave us a topical steriod cream to put on it.  The cream does help, however after a few weeks of applying it twice a day I decided to discontinue it's use due to the exposure of steriods.  After only a few days of not using it her face looks horrible with the red, bumpy rash.  I've been able to control the scales on her scalp (not that bad) simply by brushing them out after I wash her hair.  But the scales on her face are disheartening.  I read up on natural methods to control the symptoms.....

I read good things in the Natural Healing book about applying vitamin B6 oil with honey and goldenseal root made into a paste.  I've been trying to do research on the safety of ususage topically on infants for the goldenseal.  I'm having a hard time finding anything. I really can't imagine that applied topically it would cause any issues since the absorption would be minimal, especially if only done a couple times a week. But still she's my little baby!  I really think it would be futile to call her pedi. since most docs NEVER support the use of natural healing! Is anyone on here familiar with Goldenseal powder and possible side effects?

My question also is, has anyone experienced this with their child and did you use anything like this to help it?  I also read that simply applying 100% Natural ALoe Vera gel can help too?
My son has the exact same thing.  He has eczema.  His cradle cap did go away.  We had to use Sebulex shampoo and prescribtion cream.  He is 6 months and his cradle cap has been gone for about 2 months.
We are still battling the eczema, I would love to know any remedies you ladies recommend.
Any body use Freederm?
Did the doc say he has eczema or seborrheic dermatitis?  Is it on his face or in the creases of his arms & legs?
He has both.  One thing for sure, it took a while for us to get rid of the cradle cap.  When he had the flare ups, his face, forehead, creases will be red and inflamed.  How's your DS look like?  Be very careful and start treating her like she has very sensitve skin.  Start with laundry soap, baths, moisturizer, clothing, etc..  Better be prepared.
I really hope she doesn't has eczema.
I don't think she has eczema....although I think any kind of skin irritation is techinally classified that way.  It's confined to her cheeks, behind her ears, and sometimes her chest.  Her cradle cap on her scalp is very mild.  It basically looks like dandruff.  She's never had yellow crusts.  Her face gets red patches that get dry.  I switched to Aveeno bath soap & lotion when she was 5-6 weeks old and changed her laundry detergent to Dreft.  Originally thinking it was an allergic reaction.  Her doc said it doesn't effect it though.  It will come and go as it pleases.  But I have noticed it does appear worse around her chin where spit up & drool is more prominent.  And when she gets hot.  So I do believe certain things can irritate her condition even though it may not be causing it.  

I think I'm going to try straight vitamin b6 as it is harmless to see if it does anything.  If if doesn't work then I'll add the honey & goldenseal root.  I'll let you know if it works.  

BTW...what helped the cradle cap was I put baby oil on for a few hours and washed it out.  Then I brushed out the flakes.  It worked well and it helped decrease the redness too.
I think my baby has ezema and cradle cap too. Iv'e used the gentle naturals cream warmed up and leave it on for like 15 mins...shampoo it off and it looks great till the next day or so and then it is back again...it is only at the top and back of his scalp now....what is this cream? He also has red dry patches on his face and red on his arms and legs too....What kind of soap do you use? My other 2 didn't have this.
I'm not sure, this is my first run in with it on the scalp, but I can tell you his hair is thinning out more where the condition is.  I'm a little frustrated at the fact that my baby will be bald on the left side and not the right.  I know with cradle cap my son first son lost a little hair too.  This one though is completely smooth where it was affected.  The place that has cleared up already looks fine again, just bald.  I'm caking my son's head in hydrocortisone cream to prevent it from getting worse.  I was told it should clear up in a week or so at most.  I think that the primary hair is not as ddeply rooted so it tends to fall out easier, it falls out anyway at some point, I guess we just got a jump start!
My little guy has really sensitive skin.  When he was born his belly was cracked from being so dry.  I have to use Eucerin instead of baby lotion because of hte dryness.  We have also battled baby acne, although it's finally going away, and now he has dermatitis on his scalp.  The Dr. told me to use the brush on his head, and to use hydrocortisone cream.  His is not too bad, it just started thankfully just before his appt. so it was looked at.  My older son had dermatitis too and we used the same thing.  Worked well, within a few days had it under control, but he did not have it on his scalp.  Unfortunately, my little guy is losing hair where he was affected, which is just on the left side, a small patch by his ear.  I would ask the Dr. again though if you are still battling it, seems like a long time, but we do see lots of creams like that go to little ones at the pharmacy I work in.  Hang in there, babies take awhile to adjust to life outside, even their skin.
I noticed too where the dermatitis is on her scalp her hair is thinner.  Maybe it's related?
Try Cetaphil, it's a non-soap cleanser.  Was he DX?
CETAPHIL WORKS WONDERS THEY HAVE BATH SOAP TOO...MY DAUGHTER WAS DIAGNOSED WITH ECZEMA WHEN SHE WAS A COUPLE WEEKS OLD AND I WAS TOLD BY DOC TO USE THAT WHEN SHE BATHED AND AFTER . I HAVE BEEN FOR ALMOST 7 YEARS NOW AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY FLAREUPS. SOMETIMES I'LL FORGET TO PUT IT ON HER ESPECIALLY AFTER SHE HAS SPENT THE WHOLE DAY IN THE SUN AND WILL GET FLAREUP BUT THE LOTION CURES IT. IF BABY HAS ECZEMA YOU HAVE TO AVOID THEM GETTING OVER HEATED. I WAS TOLD THAT SHE COULDNT TAKE BATHS LONGER THAN 5 MINUTES AND WATER HAD TO BE WARM NOT HOT AND THAT WE HAD TO KEEP HER SKIN MOISTURIZED AT ALL TIMES.
Try the hydrocortisone 1% cream with a layer of petroleum jelly (vaseline) over that. I did it last night and my 6wk old's face is already clearing up. My doctor who does all organic and natural suggested it.
My 6 week old was Dx'd with a terrible case of Seborrheic dermatitis on his face, hurt me to even kiss his cheeks.  It was bad!  I used organic coconut oil about 5X a day and after two days he is 95% better.  Just a few stubborn spots remain that were very severe. I swear by coconut oil since it is an antifungal and the dermatitis may be caused by a yeast. Worked for us!!