MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
Infanitle Seborrheic Dermatitis(aka cradle cap on face)? LONG!
by sheddybear, May 04, 2007
My baby was dx with ISD when she was 3 weeks old.  The doctor said it should go away at the most by 6 months. She's now 3 months and still has it bad.  He gave us a topical steriod cream to put on it.  The cream does help, however after a few weeks of applying it twice a day I decided to discontinue it's use due to the exposure of steriods.  After only a few days of not using it her face looks horrible with the red, bumpy rash.  I've been able to control the scales on her scalp (not that bad) simply by brushing them out after I wash her hair.  But the scales on her face are disheartening.  I read up on natural methods to control the symptoms.....

I read good things in the Natural Healing book about applying vitamin B6 oil with honey and goldenseal root made into a paste.  I've been trying to do research on the safety of ususage topically on infants for the goldenseal.  I'm having a hard time finding anything. I really can't imagine that applied topically it would cause any issues since the absorption would be minimal, especially if only done a couple times a week. But still she's my little baby!  I really think it would be futile to call her pedi. since most docs NEVER support the use of natural healing! Is anyone on here familiar with Goldenseal powder and possible side effects?

My question also is, has anyone experienced this with their child and did you use anything like this to help it?  I also read that simply applying 100% Natural ALoe Vera gel can help too?
Member Comments (12)
by DollChina, May 04, 2007
My son has the exact same thing.  He has eczema.  His cradle cap did go away.  We had to use Sebulex shampoo and prescribtion cream.  He is 6 months and his cradle cap has been gone for about 2 months.
We are still battling the eczema, I would love to know any remedies you ladies recommend.
Any body use Freederm?
by sheddybear, May 04, 2007
Did the doc say he has eczema or seborrheic dermatitis?  Is it on his face or in the creases of his arms & legs?
by DollChina, May 04, 2007
He has both.  One thing for sure, it took a while for us to get rid of the cradle cap.  When he had the flare ups, his face, forehead, creases will be red and inflamed.  How's your DS look like?  Be very careful and start treating her like she has very sensitve skin.  Start with laundry soap, baths, moisturizer, clothing, etc..  Better be prepared.
I really hope she doesn't has eczema.
by sheddybear, May 04, 2007
I don't think she has eczema....although I think any kind of skin irritation is techinally classified that way.  It's confined to her cheeks, behind her ears, and sometimes her chest.  Her cradle cap on her scalp is very mild.  It basically looks like dandruff.  She's never had yellow crusts.  Her face gets red patches that get dry.  I switched to Aveeno bath soap & lotion when she was 5-6 weeks old and changed her laundry detergent to Dreft.  Originally thinking it was an allergic reaction.  Her doc said it doesn't effect it though.  It will come and go as it pleases.  But I have noticed it does appear worse around her chin where spit up & drool is more prominent.  And when she gets hot.  So I do believe certain things can irritate her condition even though it may not be causing it.  

I think I'm going to try straight vitamin b6 as it is harmless to see if it does anything.  If if doesn't work then I'll add the honey & goldenseal root.  I'll let you know if it works.  

BTW...what helped the cradle cap was I put baby oil on for a few hours and washed it out.  Then I brushed out the flakes.  It worked well and it helped decrease the redness too.
by over40club, May 04, 2007
I think my baby has ezema and cradle cap too. Iv'e used the gentle naturals cream warmed up and leave it on for like 15 mins...shampoo it off and it looks great till the next day or so and then it is back again...it is only at the top and back of his scalp now....what is this cream? He also has red dry patches on his face and red on his arms and legs too....What kind of soap do you use? My other 2 didn't have this.
by DollChina, May 04, 2007
Try Cetaphil, it's a non-soap cleanser.  Was he DX?
by Crritter, May 04, 2007
My little guy has really sensitive skin.  When he was born his belly was cracked from being so dry.  I have to use Eucerin instead of baby lotion because of hte dryness.  We have also battled baby acne, although it's finally going away, and now he has dermatitis on his scalp.  The Dr. told me to use the brush on his head, and to use hydrocortisone cream.  His is not too bad, it just started thankfully just before his appt. so it was looked at.  My older son had dermatitis too and we used the same thing.  Worked well, within a few days had it under control, but he did not have it on his scalp.  Unfortunately, my little guy is losing hair where he was affected, which is just on the left side, a small patch by his ear.  I would ask the Dr. again though if you are still battling it, seems like a long time, but we do see lots of creams like that go to little ones at the pharmacy I work in.  Hang in there, babies take awhile to adjust to life outside, even their skin.
by sheddybear, May 04, 2007
I noticed too where the dermatitis is on her scalp her hair is thinner.  Maybe it's related?
by Crritter, May 04, 2007
I'm not sure, this is my first run in with it on the scalp, but I can tell you his hair is thinning out more where the condition is.  I'm a little frustrated at the fact that my baby will be bald on the left side and not the right.  I know with cradle cap my son first son lost a little hair too.  This one though is completely smooth where it was affected.  The place that has cleared up already looks fine again, just bald.  I'm caking my son's head in hydrocortisone cream to prevent it from getting worse.  I was told it should clear up in a week or so at most.  I think that the primary hair is not as ddeply rooted so it tends to fall out easier, it falls out anyway at some point, I guess we just got a jump start!