Maternal & Child Community
Infant Reflux and Bowel Issues?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Infant Reflux and Bowel Issues?

Hello
It is 10.15pm here and my 8 week old is still struggling to get to sleep and stay asleep.
Symptoms are:
stomach bloating, projectile vomitting after every feed, jerky movement of arms, screams, whimpers and obvious signs of pain during and after breast feeds. Pulling up legs and writhing.  Strains to poop, but not constipated although often goes 8 or more days between bowel movements.Blows bubbles at mouth, need to suck constantly.  Sleeps in 15minute stretches until woken by pain.  Gaining weight normally and healthy birth weight, 2 weeks early.  Doctor suspects reflux but wants to try natural remedies first before medication.  This is my third child and all have had similar problems (undiagnosed) but this is by far the worst!  Totally miserable child and both are sleep deprived!  Please help and advise me!

Erana and Levi
Are you nursing?

If so, you should keep a food journal and try to track which foods upset his tummy the most.  Generally it takes 4 hours for our food to make it into breastmilk.  Try eliminating the typical food allergans and see if that gives him any relief.

If you are bottle feeding, maybe try a differant formula?

Infant massage is very good for tummy problems as well.  
My son had the same thing happen with formula, I ended up taking him to
St Lois Childrens Hospital. The had to do an upper G I on him it showed that he had severe acid reflux and on top of that he was colicy and gasey.  Here are som helpful tips!
First try gas drops they may help when feeding
Second this is the BEST the dr told me to put my baby on his back and take my pointer finger and middle finger and GENTLY press on my baby's stomach in circular motions you can FEEL the bubbles come up under your fingers it helps ALOT.
Third Dr. said you can put your baby on his back and take the baby's feet and "take the legs like the baby's is riding a bike it helps push out the gas!
If you have any questions let me know
Thanks a lot

I am breastfeeding and am sure it is not food related.  Has no problem with gas now he is on infacol drops but has reflux pain.  unable to find a dummy pacifer that is soft enough for him.  unable to manage his pain effectively.  help!
Just want you to know that you are not alone.  My son, who is now 7 weeks old, is suffering with the same reflux pain.  It got so bad that he would cry and shriek in pain during every feeding.  I would cry and be heartbroken watching him and his little belly suffer.  His sleep patterns were identical to how you described your son's!  It was so deflating to both my little guy and me when he would only sleep those short naps.  Then he would be overly tired and fights all the naps after that.  I started writing down every single symptom I saw and researching online.  After much research, I believed he was suffering from GERD.  The pediatrician agreed and he was placed on Prevacid.  After a week on the medication he is doing much better.  I also watched my diet and became very strict about what I ate.  On one occasion, I ate a creamy soup that I didn't know would affect him and he had a horrible afternoon.  Here are some things that my husband and I have discovered that have worked for my son.  The gas drops do very little to help.  The gas is deeper and it doesn't do anything for reflux.  Sleep him upright at least 30 degrees.  We purchased the Amby Baby Motion Bed and it has worked wonders!  He is upright and doesn't wake himself up so much with silent spit-ups anymore.  Also, white noise works.  We got the Sleep Sheep as a gift and we place it right by his bed.  It has heartbeats, rain, ocean, etc.  The pediatrician said all of those sounds are very helpful to soothe babies.  When all else fails...get him suited up and take a nice drive.  Make it long enough that he gets into a deep sleep.  It'll be good for you get a change of scenery as well.  I hope this advice helps.  We're still working at it on our end...but it is getting better.  Good luck!
Thank God for the wonderful Doc we have, she suggested switching to soy milk, as symptoms are similar to lactose intolerance.... 3 years later, no problems since then, hardly even a spit-up.  I also gave him (and still do) probiotics.  (I noticed my acid reflux disappeared after starving the yeast in my system and taking probiotics).
The kid's in daycare & rarely gets sick now, so he apparently got enough of the breastfeeding antibodies.