Maternal & Child Community
Infant Withdrawal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Infant Withdrawal

I would like to know if anyone out there has had to expierence their newborn go through withdrawal either from drug abuse or a maintence program? PLEASE HELP!!!!!
I haven't sorry! What's going on? If your baby were to be addicted at birth, my thought was that they took the baby away?
I am not abusing drugs.. I am on a drug called Suboxone it's like methadone. I don't know if you've ever heard of it! My doctors know that I am on it...and know it's a maintence program for opiates. It's a long, long story on why I got addicted to painkillers. Basically a stupid doctor and me being uneducated on painkillers. I had alot of problems with my jaw and some surgeries and was on painkillers for a long time b/c of the pain. (not while i've been pregnant though) And not knowing that even if you take them as prescribed your body still gets addicted to it! So when I it came time to not take them anymore I got really, really sick. And at the time I had no clue what was going on. And my family doctor put me on this Suboxone and I trusted him and now I expeirence the same thing when I don't take the Suboxone and was told that if I detoxed myself now while pregnant that it would be too much stress on the baby and  that if the baby detoxed it should be when she is born. I just wanted to know if anyone out there ever went through this  and what to expect!!! I am literally losing sleep over this!!! I don't want you to think that I'm this drug addict or anything I have a 5 year old and as far as I'm concerned a very good mother! And I love my child and can't wait until my new baby girl comes!!! Except for this whole situation!!!
Th treatment for babies addicted to Suboxone would be the same as if the baby was born addicted to opiates.  They can treat the baby rather easily although it will most likely suffer from a pooor sucking relfex, excessive crying, sleeplessness..... but not necessarily.  The amount of withdrawals the baby would go through depends greatly on your dosage and for the amount of time you've been taking it.
Sub is best used for a quick detox.  The docs are only now finding out that the longer you stay on it, the harder the withdrawals are after you try it which really defeats the purpose since it's used to avoid withdrawals from opiate pain killers.
I know a bit about this so I sguesst (since your drknows) that you don't stop taking it until after the baby is born because if you go into heavy withdrawals it will put way too much stress on your body and that can cause an elevated heart rate and a pre-term labor.
When you do decide to come off the drug... I won't lie, it's going to be hard.  Make sure you have someone to help with the newborn and your other child.  You might even want to consider staying onit until you're stabilized with the kids.  
You need to do a VERY slow taper.  Taper your dosage back by 2 mg every 3-4 days.  It has a long half life so you wouldn't feel any discomfort until about the second or third day or your taper.  Taper down to the point where you are taking barely a crumb of the drug, then jump off.  Yopu might even want to visit the addiction forum on this site.  May people have expeiences with tapering off.  WHen you finally stop that crum..... get valium or xanax or klonopin.  It will help tremendously.  Take vitamins, drink tons of water, talk to a therapist.  Emotionally it's going to be a bit hard especially if you're dealing with post partum depression.
My advice is to do what the dr says.  Stay on it until after the baby is born ifnot for a while after the baby is born.  
I am a mother of a 17 month girl and I couldn't imagine detoxing while she was newborn.  I would not have been able to care for her.
YOU CAN DO THIS.
Good luck to you!
PS, if your doctors know about all of this, your baby cannot and will not be taken away.

Thank you...Thank you...Thank you...god bless you. I don't mean to sound corny or anything but you really helped me ALOT. I am going to just stay on it until I am ready to detox myself off of it...like you said when I get stabilized with the kids! Another thing is the doctors know and have known that I have been on this drug so they won't take my baby right? I know you said that they can't but I just need to hear it again! Do you know anything about a baby going through w/d and how long it takes? And how long my baby will have to stay in the hospital? And they give the baby something to help come off of it...that's what I read. I really appreciate your help!! THANK YOU!!!!
Oh, hon! I wasn't judging you, just asking for clarification. So glad someone was able to answer your question because in the end I really didn't have an answer. Congrats on the new bundle of joy! I hope everything works out for you!!!

I guess my advice to you is to let your doctor know NOW that you are addicted to pain meds (as hard as that is) so they know beforehand and can help you through this, whether it is to wean off of the meds and so they know at birth (becasue they will test their blood for substances).
you might want to go visit the nicu where youre going to deliver.  if you spoke honestly with the nurses there, they would probably be able to help you alot.  they could help you prepare, they could give you examples of what theyve seen, and let you know from experience how things typically go.  i wish you luck!!!!
I did talk again today with my doctor and she said to just stay on the lowest miligram I can with out going through withdrawal.....she said to go through the withdrawal now would  not be good for the fetus and would cause alot of stress....but she also said that there may be a chance that my baby would go through withdrawal! but she also said that  b/c I'm not abusing illegal street drugs i am taking my meds at the lowest possible miligram that there is still a chance that my baby may not go through any withdrwals. I feel alittle better but I am still worried about my baby having to go through that and I'm really beating myself up over this. My family is supporting me and telling me to just pray and have faith in God. But I just want to tell everyone that I thank you very much for being here for me!!! But don't go away I may need you again   :)  
We won't leave!!! When is your little one due?

So glad your doc is your advocate and is going to help you through this.
I am due the 15th of Feb. and my son's birthday is the 8th. He keeps on saying that if she was born on his birthday that would be the best birthday gift ever!! It's so cute.

Oh about my doctors I see a different doc almost every visit which I do not like but every time I go to an appt. I always remind these doctors whats going on. Like I'm trying to keep them all on the same page so when it comes time for my delivery they know whats going on and don't make any stupid mistakes. But today when I spoke with her she made me feel alittle better. She reassured me that everything will be ok and that no one was going to even question me as a parent so ithelps a little. But there is still that quilt there..ya know?
I have been on pain meds for 2 years due to a spinal injury. I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy 4 months ago. He did have a withdraw period, or at least that is what the nursing staff told me. He is my fifth child and just seemed to be little fussy. Before I delivered my midwife and the docs that she practices with suggested breastfeeding to help ease the babies symptoms and it worked wonders. With breastfeeding the baby is only exposed to very small amounts of the drugs and you can wean them slowly as you and they are ready. You may talk to them about that. I take narcotics so I do not know how that compares. Best wishes!! PS Feb 8th is my B-Day also, tell your son I am pulling for him, that is a great day!
A Valentine baby! How sweet!!! You're almost there, just a couple more weeks. Mothers feel guilty all the time, about all sorts of things. The fact you even care means you're  a great mom! I know nothing I can say can make you feel better in this respect, but you have to stop blaming yourself and feeling guilty. There isn't anything you can do to change it, so you need to look forward with hope and just make new resolutions. Relax, your baby is going to be fine. Your docs think so, you should trust them. ;-)
thank you...if you don;t mind I would like to ask you a few questions. and thats a great idea about breastfeeding to help withdrawal...i will def say something to the doctors and try it! suboxone is also considered a narcotic so I think it would help the same way!! what  were some of the syptoms (symptoms) your baby boy had? did they give him any meds besides the help with your breastmilk? and about how long did he go through withdrawal? oh and if you don't mind what pain meds were your taking?
He was a little fussy according to the nursery staff, but he was a newborn, I didn't think was anything unusual. It took a few minutes to get him to latch on for his first feeding, but after that he did great. He did nurse a little more frequently that most, but that helped get the milk flowing also. If the nurses wouldn't have said that it was withdraw I would not have thought anything of it. His breathing and heart rate were all with in normal ranges and by the time we let the hospital (less than 48 hrs after birth) he was fine. If you don't mind me asking what is the suboxone substituting? I am on norco which is like vicoden with less tylenol but the same amount of codein. I had been on other meds until I found out that I was pregnant. The norco was the only one that I took regularly  during the pregnancy. He was not given anything for symptoms. I was told as long as is symptoms were managable the risk of giving him anything else was too great. I hope this helps. Just be sure that you keep your dosing to minimum until that special day!
I was on methadone while pregnant with my daughter.  After her birth, she did stay in the Nic U for about two weeks.  This is a relatively short time, many babies stay for at least a month.  She was put on a small dose of methadone(I mean miniscule) and weaned off during her stay there.  The withdrawal symptoms were extremely  mild if at all.  My child is now three and extremely smart.  She counts to 20 in English and 10 in Spanish.  She works her way around this internet better than I do.  She shows no signs of any affects from the methadone.  If your doctor is aware of what's going on and can monitor your pregnancy properly,  they should be able to tell if anything is going on that shouldn't be.  I had two level2 ultrasounds while pregnant.  After birth, your baby may have to stay in the NIcU, but the nurses are well trained to take care of these situations.  My baby['s nurses were wonderful with her.
Good luck.
my son is due on june 18th and my daughter will be 4 june 14th she says the same thing about the best birthday presant ever. i have been on hydro for about 2 years now and he is healthy as can be. My doc says her biggest concern is that if i have pain due to the baby i wouldnt know with takin the meds. I take (1) 5mg every 4-6 hours ,before i found out i was taking (2) 7.5 every 4 hours when i found out i was prego i stoped cold turkey!!! hardest thing ever... but i have a very bad back and after about 4 months i couldnt deal with the pain i was taking soooo much ty and now it does nothing for me. They said that its not bad for baby as long as u take low mg, if you have been on it. They also gave me a muscle relaxer which is a class b narcotic and it is not harmful at all for the baby u might want to check with your doc about that... Good Luck and congrats!!!
I am going through the same things with Tramadol, but my situation is my Ob staff has three doctors that do not agree at all. One tells me not to take the meds one tells me that Tramadol has a lower withdrawl (withdrawal) rate for the infant.... its conciderd and Narcotic in only a few states but I have been going insane over all of this..... would someone please contact and speak with me about this ***@**** I loose the sites I have been on all the time.
well, i read ur comment about a baby being born addicted! okay first of all do your research .If a doctor prescribes you medication for being a diabetic you take the medication, okay some women are subscribed medication to get off of other medication such as suboxone and subutex.So hands down on ur comment i have a very healthy baby girl i was administered methadone while pregnant and she is fine and not one operson considered taking my child! that is an absolute lie lady! you should know ur facts! so for the lady weary about her baby being taken from her ,please dont worry, your baby will be in your arms. as long as a doctor prescribed medication for you there is no way anyone can take your child!
Hello I have been on Suboxone for 3 years and it has been the most stable, painless years of my life, and I am not overdosing with all diff pain killers, lying to get them etc, my pain, mood, desire to use other drugs is all under control. I do see a addiction dr. every 2 mo and I am monitored carefully. For me its a miracle drug. Although just last summer I did get pregnant, and I was seeing a high risk doctor, I lost the baby at 12 weeks, but I know in my heart and all the doctors swear it was not the suboxone. I am now as of Dec okay to try again and have yet to get pregnant, but have no intention of coming off anytime soon. Because as I say it allows me to live. I am 31 years old with DDD, 5 Buldging disc and RA, so I will be honest a very smart person did explain how to come off but only after the baby is born. Here it is in a nutshell.  8mg x 1 week, 6 mg x 1 week, 4 mg x 30 days, 3 mg x 2 days, 2mg x 2 weeks, 1 mg in the morning and 1mg in the evening x 3 days, 4th day no a.m. dose but 1mg in the evening, your done, this is the best way to function and feel less withdrawl (withdrawal) if any, use Tylenol P.M. for sleep if need be, or xanax temp. to help, but I am tellling your if u dont taper slow, you will be vomiting, diarrhea, chills, pain, every imaginable with draw symptom, good luck to you! P.S as far as infant with drawl, there is no guarenteem the lower the dose the less the chance, my doc says he delivers babies with mom's on suboxone all the time and they are okay, but there are some who need withdraw meds and stay in nicu for weeks, just be prepared for the worse and hope for the best!
I have two very healthy boys, my oldest is 5 and my youngest is 10 months. With first pregnancy I was 23 and didn't do anything unhealthy, even quit smoking! Then I had an accident and was quickly put on strong painkillers. I was 25 @ this time. Started battling anxiety and depression, due to all of the drugs they put me on.@ 27 I learned I was pregnant with 2nd child, on suboxone. All Dr.'s recommended it was safer to stay on xanax (seizures), oxycodone (withdrawl (withdrawal)), prozac (depression) so I did exactly what I was told. When my little guy was born things didn't seem right, underweight, wouldn't eat, sleep, etc...the day of discharge the whisked him away in ambulance and brought him to a NICU 20 miles away at 2am. He ended up staying there an additional 6 weeks. The nurses looked at me like I was the scum of the earth! They had him on morphine (withdrawl (withdrawal)) and anti-seizure meds. It was the worst thing that's ever happens to my family and even though I had legal scripts for everything CPS got very involved and I almost lost my kids. By the grace of GOD everything, everyone is thriving. I'm very lucky. My advice is please ween off of everything! You can do it! Trust me when I say, it can turn into something tragic. If you keep doing what your doing, it suddenly becomes ok....and its not! Good luck, you can do it! God bless.
I have a baby in NICU now for Subutex. The doctor told me it is not safe to stop taking the medication or even wean off it during pregnancy because the infant can go through withdrawal in womb and you can go into pre-term labor. Your baby cannot be treated for withdrawal inside your belly so why would you want to put it through that?  

As far as taking Xanax and Prozac during pregnancy, I don't know what doctor told you that was safe but those cause birth defects.
It is amazing that everyone here is saying don't worry!   First of all anyone addicted to pain meds should use birth control!!  I work in a NICU and work with these poor infants who must endure the pain associated with their mothers drug use..including Suboxone!  The long term effects of drug use during pregnancy also include learning and emotional disabilities.  How sad that so many people are irresponsible and actually get pregnant deliberately even though their poor defenseless infant will suffer...
My wife was on suboxone during pregnancy & was weened down to 4mg 2x a day & our baby started withdrawing about 24 hours after birth so they took her to intensive care & put her on morphine every 3 hours which makes no since to me. We have been at the hospital for 10 days & they just now took her off of the morphine & she's going through way worse withdrawals now & has only been off the morphine for 15 hours & has been withdrawing for prob 8 hours. Why get a infant hooked on morphine every 3 hours when they are withdrawing from an extremely small amount of suboxone. My guess is the $270,000.00 they are gonna collect from our insurance company, that's if she makes it through the withdrawals. They said if she gets any worse we will have to start all over again & be here for another 2 weeks.  This is just my opinion but ween yourself as low as you can gradually & be careful what hospital you go to, do your homework on their programs & the way they do things. It is possible & done all the time to get off things while pregnant just do it as gradual as you can. I am in the intensive care unit watching my little girl who was born at 6lbs because of suboxone go through withdrawals, shaking, crying, unable to sleep and it is the most painful thing I have ever had to go through. Don't let Dr's tell you your baby won't withdrawal off of suboxone if you taper down because they will. I hope this helps you & others.