Infant bleeding from ear after dr exam
Okay, the last couple of times I have taken Jacob to the dr, the dr has had a difficult time examining his ears because apparently he produces a lot of ear wax.  The dr said the wax is fine but he needs to get it out to see the ear drum and verify no infection.  During his previous appt the dr dug in his ear with a pick and I saw blood on the end of it. Jacob screamed in pain.  He cried for a little while but overall seemed okay.  Yesterday was Jacobs 4m check up and the same thing happened, except this time Jacob screamed unconsolably in pain for long while afterward.  He was still crying when I left.  The next morning when I woke him, his ear canal was filled with dried blood and it was on the sheets.  I had fed him at 4 a.m. and it wasn't there then (or at least it wasn't noticeable), but it was there at 6:30 a.m.

I called the dr office and the nurse said it was normal as long as it didn't keep bleeding.  I asked around the office if anybody else experienced this with their kids and they all said no way.  I don't know what to do. I'm supposed to go back in 3wks to have his ears looked at again, and I feel like I'm supposed to protect my baby from harm not hold his arms down while the dr busts his ear drum.  I really want to finish the antibiotic and never take my baby back there again.  My son is not a big crier and doesn't typically cry unless there is a reason.. I know he was in a tremendous amount of pain after that ear exam.  

Before I left I asked the dr if there was something I could do before his next appt to make this any easier, like an ear rinse or something and he said no.  He later suggested putting a couple of drops of peroxide in his ear the night before to soften it up..

What do you all think?  Is this normal?  Do you clean your babies ears? I've read they are self cleaning and that you shouldn't put anything in a babies ear.   So why does the dr shove that pick into his ear?  Has anybody else been through this or have an opinion???  
Listen and listen carefully , do not I repeat dont be afraid to call your ped on bull if you feel that this doc is not right for your son change em , I did with my first child and my 5th , there are some real arrogant peds out there and they should not be putting a 4mth old through pain, my dd the second one used to produce a lot of wax and he put the pick thing in very very carefully the told me to use debrox he said some kids do just produce alot , and what the hell does the nurse mean if it keeps bleeding twice is enough!!! I would really look around and change peds even if it's a family doc or what ever what was good for one person may not be for another and sometimes it does take awhile to find the right fit for you Jacob and the doc, this one sounds like a jerk and belive me I meet my share of em in the ped department. Please let me know how it goes with this and your best bet is to ask around your job or if the insurance is through your hubbie tell him to ask the women who have peds they'll be your best resource to finding one that suites you.
No,  this isn't normal.  It seems possible the doc has pierced Jacob's eardrum twice,  which actually will reduce his ability to hear slightly.  Slightly.  Each time an eardrum tears,  the flexibility of the drum decreases.

Get another doctor,  I would suggest an ENT right away, and have his ears examined.

And then,  choose another pediatrician.  

Best wishes.
Hannah-

Get a new ped.  That is not right or normal.  At all.  

Hug him, poor baby.
Lori
This isn't normal.  My son has a double ear infection and my Ped didn't hurt Jake.  It was barely in his ear and they knew 'yes' or 'no' to infection.  

Poor little guy....
I called another dr today and of course they won't say anything unless you are a patient, so I set an appointment for 10:20 this morning.  

Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know how it goes.  
I agree with the others. Hope this next appointment goes well.
My daughter has a problem with hard wax in her ears.  Never have the used anything to dig it out.   They use  warm water inserted with a syringe to flush it out.
Hannah, I'd be seriuosly pissed.  Sounds like BS to me.  They are making him bleed and cry over earwax????  If you are uncomfortable with dr. now....you will question him always now.  I think you should change drs.  What bull.
Darn it, I typed a whole long message and because I'm not logged on, it got lost (work computer fire wall)....

Anyway... the new dr said his ear drum was busted but of course she wouldn't say the other dr did it (they all know each other), she said the infection caused it.  She said we needed to take care of the congestion because that is what is causing the ear infection.  She gave me some ear drops, nose drops and something else (can't remember for sure).. I'm a little dizzy from all the info...

Anyway.. I feel so much better just knowing I dont' have to take Jacob back to the other dr.  I take him back in 10 days for a follow up. She said she would wash his ears out before the exam.  

I feel just terriblel that "I" held my Jacob down while the dr busted his ear drum. I will "never" make that mistake again.  He is such a tough little trooper. I can only imagine the pain at the time and then how he felt later that day with a busted ear drum.  He hasn't been himself the last couple of days with a low grade fever, but he also had his shots so it is hard to say what the reason was for sure.  My poor little jacob... :(
Honey, don't feel bad.  You didn't know.  That mother's guilt is a killer I tell ya.  At least you had enough sense to come on here and ask opinions.  I would have punched that doctor in his ear and busted his ear drum for hurting my baby.  Poor Jacob.  There are ear rinses I'm sure but I thought that ear wax was ok, it actually protects the ear from infections.  I'm not sure about that but I'm sure ear wax is better than having a popped ear drum.  You should report that doctor.  I hope he feels better and hopefully this doctor is a million times better.
Hannah,
I know you are feeling really guilty right now but we are not supposed to be the experts, we go to drs for that.  I have been through something similar with my daughter. She was having a horrible test done and the dr. was horrible and hurting her. I finally picked her up and said that is enough and never went back. It ***** that we can't trust the people that are supposed to be professionals.  Don't beat yourself up even though it is hard not to.  Will the ear drum heal ok and be fine?
Thanks you guys.  :) ..

As far as I know, he should be alright... She didn't say anything about long term affects.  

DH is a veterinarian. I know that isn't the same but animals have ear drums too.  He said in practice sometimes they have to bust the ear drums on purpose (can't remember why) so although not ideal, should be okay, i think.  :-/