Maternal & Child Community
Infant brittle bone vs. abuse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Infant brittle bone vs. abuse

At 7 weeks of age my great nephew was diagnosed with several breaks in different stages of healing.  He previously had 5 well baby checks in that 7 week period.  The doctor made the report and the infant was removed from my sisters home that day.  
The are now being treated as criminals and waiting on criminal investigation before the medical side is being addressed.  Having to wait a month before test can be done and sent to a doctor that can look at things.  
Does anyone have any advice for this family.  They do have a lawyer, but our main wish is that baby Zack could be placed with other family during this whole process.  

Help.  Debbie
I'm not familiar with the whole process but don't they prefer placing the child with relatives?
bley - brittle bone disease is very rare,  and child abuse is very common,  so it's natural the baby would be removed.

Why,  at 7 weeks,  has this child had 5 baby checks already,  do you know?  It sounds like they were under the scrutiny of CPS,  or is there some other health issue that was being looked at?

If this child has brittle bone disease,  that will be discovered fairly quickly and the baby will be reunited with family.  I've seen this happen once,  and seen it NOT happen a lot of times because the baby is completely healthy but being beaten.

Best wishes.  I hope for the best for your family.
There is a genetic test for brittle bone disease. I think it detects all degrees of the disease. Her lawyer must request it through the court so that it can be court ordered. She should have the request made at their first hearing.
The courts have to err on the side of caution.  Unfortunately, this means some innocent people will come under accusation at times.  Its the price we have to pay to protect children.

If this is osteogenesis imperfecta, it can and will be diagnosed.  I wish them the best of luck.  
http://www.rd.com/content/parents-wrongly-accused-of-child-abuse/1/

Good luck!
if you can get your hands on a readers digest there was an article in there about a couple whos lives were devastated by this scenario
it might give you some help (maybe january or  issue
Thank goodness that the authorities are erring on the side of caution.  If it is indeed brittle bone, they will know very soon.  

I also do not understand why the baby was not placed with relatives during this time, that seems strange to me.

Either outcome means hard times ahead for this baby, being an abuse victim or the victim of a crippling disease.  My heart goes out.
The reason is that in some cases, family is not immune to pressure from a parent who wants to have the child back.
Must be differant in the US.  Here they will place with a relative if at all possible.
get a second opinion. it happened to us.
I know what your sister is going through because it is happening to me right now. They have to prove theirsevles innocent because in the states eyes they are guilty. Demand to the social worker and the court that you want him with family, it is called kindship care. They all are trained to call it abuse and not look into any medical cause they just dont care. They need to contact this dr. from california he has helped me. Dr. Mohammed Al-Bayat email ****@***
Please tell me how this has turned out for you or where you are in your fight.  We are just begining ours. Any resources or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
kaelynsmommy - I'm sorry you're going through this.  Are you specifically going through the exact same thing - a child with brittle bone disease that has been misunderstood as abuse?

If your child has brittle bone,  you won't have a fight on your hands.   The courts recognize that,  and you won't have a battle to wage.

We believe so. My child was born 15 weeks early and had a very lengthy nicu stay just being releaesed on 11/9.  During the course of her stay she encountered many challenges since she was so early.  We took her back to the hospital 11/30 because she was not acting right (she has a shunt and we had been concerned 1 1/2 weeks prior something was wrong with it). When the did an abdomanal x-ray they found fractures and once a skeletal survey was done they found more.  They said they sent a test for brittle bone disease but it takes 4-8 weeks to get it back and it just went out on 12/8.  They took our little girl from us on 12/15.  She has the blue sclera which is a syptom (symptom) of the disease as well as many fractures that are unexplained, we only had her home for 3 weeks and she is almost 5 months old :(
We are now currently going through the court process of possibly losing our great grandson for this very same thing. The grand children claim they did not hurt the child--but child protection service will not accept the possiblity of TBBD. The fractures were found unexpectedly and immediately the child was taken and put in foster care. Any advise as to what we should do---they have a court appointed attorney and we will be meeting with him next week.  The baby was born premature and the fractures were found when he was 5 months old, all fractures healing at varying degrees.

Please anything anyone can share with us that may help----would be greatly appreciated.

We just don't where to start!!!

Tammy
I am going through this also. I am the Grandma though. I have twin grand daughters with multiple small fractures on their wrist and leg. One of the girls was born with a club foot and actually has two fractures under her cast to correct the club foot. These babies are not abused. Please, where can I go to get support in the US? CPS took the girls from them 3 weeks ago and they turned 3 months on the 26th of December. I will fight to the end to get those babies back to their parents because I KNOW they are innocent!
Debbie
Listent to me becasue I have been going through the same thing since 2005.  End result for me is that I am in the Court of Speacial Appeals AND WILL  HAVE A HEARING THIS YEAR.
You have 30 days after a judge writes a ORDER TO PUT YOU CHILD IN THE CUSTODY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL SERVICES TO APPEAL IT.  
AFTER 30 DAYS OF A ORDER BEING WRITTEN A COURT WILL NOT WANT TO HEAR THE CASE BUT WILL WITH YOUR PERSISTANCE THAT YOU WERE NOT TOLD THAT YOU COULD APPEAL IT.  

IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD LEARN THE RULES IF I COULD AND APPEAL IT MYSELF.  ATTORENYS WILL KEEP YOU GOING TO COURT UNTIL THEY DRAIN EVERY SINGLE DIME YOU HAVE AND YOUR CHILD WILL STILL BE IN FOSTER CARE.  
CHILDREN ARE SUPPOSE TO BE WITH THE BIRTH PARENT AND NOT NON BLOOD RELATIVES.

Here is what I did not no.  Before any of this goes to court.  Call your Congressmen.  Do not tell the department of social services where you are going.  
You and your attoreny can have a meeting with him to resolve it before it goes to court and have it totally resolved

Look up the laws FAMILY LAW for Kinship Parent program.
LOOK UP - HTTP://MICHIE.LEXISNEXIS.COM - put in your state and find the laws on your sister's child being with blood relatives instead of relatives
Be very careful of the attoreny.  Most of them now each other and do underhanded deals behind your back.  The longer they keep the case going the more the make money off of you.  

***@****
Look at the comment that I put at the end of the page.
this is the hardest thing as a mother to go through. i took my son in for an ear infection. i though he had on from grabbing his ear and being fussy. got there they took xrays and he has multiple fractures. we have both been investigated and put on 24 hold in jail. not the place you want to be when you know your baby is hurting and he cant be with you or his dad. the justice system *****! they tried to make me convince myself i did it. then while questioning my family they told them i admitted to doing it! Right now we are waiting for the protective custody hearing. of course he is going to be there til this is figured out. i am fighting for supervised visits! and if they do not give them to me i am going to be very very upset and when this is all said and done they will pay! i am going to fight at the hearing for them to start testing this. while i was pregnant i had a thick placenta and he hardley moved. i had to apply pressure on my stomach to feel him! then i had an emergency c section due to the cord around his neck twice! no wonder he wasnt moving. but i will fight til the day i die to get my son back! i did not hurt him nor did anyone i know! i hate people looking at me and thinking i am a criminal! please please spread the word for this tbbd because if not many innocent people will deal with this and lose their kids:(