Maternal & Child Community
Infant high platelet count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Infant high platelet count

my daughter is 14 month old , i made for her A cbc BLOOD TEST TWICE within two days, THE platelet was high 703,000 . the normal count is between 150,000 & 400,000 .
so can any one tell me what that might be ? the doctors say its maybe infection but they are not sure yet .
so can any one assist me on that issue .
the rest of CBC results as follows :
HGB 11.2
wbc 9.46
RBC 4.15
Neut 24.7%
Lymph 63.1%
-1 Comments Post a Comment
Sorry for cutting and pasting this.  Her hemoglobin is fairly low, so that might be a reason?

"Thrombocytosis
An elevated platelet count is not an uncommon finding in the neonatal population. Whether moderately elevated (platelet counts of 450,000 to 600,000) or more extreme (platelet count > 800,000), no adverse outcomes related to the thrombocytosis have been described.[3] It has been observed that, at around 4 to 6 weeks of age, many preterm infants experience a moderately increased platelet count at around the same time as the nadir of anemia of prematurity.[33] In initial studies in the use of recombinant erythropoietin (rEPO) in neonates, the elevation of hematocrit and reticulocytes was followed by a period of iron deficiency. An increase in platelet counts was observed at this time of iron deficiency and decreased ferritin levels. Iron deficiency is known to cause thrombocytosis in older children.[34] Another study by Donato and coworkers[35] demonstrated thrombocytosis (platelet count > 500,000) in 31% of infants during treatment with rEPO, with no difference noted if the rEPO was started early or late. No clinical manifestations of thrombocytosis were observed.

In a large study of children with a mean age of 13 months, Vora and Lilleyman[36] noted infection, iron deficiency, postoperative state, and postantineoplastic chemotherapy status as having possible associations with thrombocytosis. In another study, Chan and coworkers[33] noted that most study infants having marked thrombocytosis (count of >900,000) had infections, and none had complications. Early elevation of serum thrombopoietin levels is also related to subsequent thrombocytosis in low-birth-weight preterm infants.[37]

Thrombocytosis has also been described in infants with Down's syndrome, occurring from age 6 weeks to around 1 year.[38] An elevation in the platelet count of infants with congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) has also been noted. In a 1996 study by Gasparini and coworkers,[39] patients with CAH were compared with age- and sex-matched healthy control infants. The patients with CAH were noted to have normal hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell counts while having significantly elevated white blood cell and platelet counts. Hemoconcentration due to dehydration and salt-wasting were ruled out as a cause since some blood counts remained normal. The exact mechanism is unknown, but is possibly due to a stress-related response of bone marrow precursors as can occur in sepsis. This thrombocytosis was noted to resolve within 4 weeks of treatment for CAH.[39]

Thrombocytosis is also seen in children with inflammatory conditions. An increased platelet count can be seen with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). This is thought to occur due to a reaction of the esophageal mucosa to constant irritation of refluxing acidic gastric contents and could also be in part be due to recurrent bronchitis associated with GERD.[13]

Pharmacologic therapy used in neonates can also cause thrombocytosis. Van Reempts and coworkers[40] noted thrombocytosis in 14% of 80 neonatal patients treated with ceftriaxone for suspected infection. Other drugs associated with neonatal thrombocytosis include aztreonam, imipenem-cilastatin, ceftizoxime, and ceftazidime.[3]

Maternal use of methadone is associated with thrombocytosis in the neonate, occurring at around 1 week of age and lasting up to 16 weeks. The mechanism of this is unknown.[41] In a case report, Nako and coworkers[42] reported an infant whose mother was on various nonnarcotic antischizophrenic medications (five different drugs) having a platelet count of 1,310,000 on day of life 15, which persisted for 3 months."

Hemoglobin lab values differ, but 10.5-15.5 usually is ok for under 1 year. if the child was 4 years-old, then I would say it was a bit low.
Check into removing gluten from the diet. It "may" be a gluten-intolerance or Celiac. (*Even a negative result on a transglutamase test does"not" mean your child does not have a gluten intolerance.) I am not saying this is what it is, but check it out by an elimination diet.
***@****
i have a child with a low thyroid count and a higher than average platelet count.  Bearing in mind that i have a thryoid problem and i take thyroxine what could be the problem.  Please help i am really worried as she has been referred to a specialist

thanks

yvette
my son is 17mths old and ive just found out he has a high platelet count this comes after having had a nasal infection for the last 8mths my doc told me he would grow out of it even though i was takin him back and forth every 2wks because hes bin so ill.so asked to see another doc who sent him for a fbc.im am pretty worried as i have no idea what may have caused this.can any one shed any light on this for me.

thanks

toni
My daught (12months) recently have been experiencing allergic reaction itching/hives on a daily basis and we saw the allergist.  We just got back her lab results and her IgE was high and her platelets were also high.  The platelets are at 610.  Is it due to her reaction and how long are the IgE and platelet suppose to remain high until it comes back down to normal.  I have cut out all solids so she is only stictly formula for the past two and half weeks and her RAST came back that she is not allergic to cow's milk so I think I have removed all offending agents that could have cause the initial reaction.
My son's platelet count came back at >500 and boy do I love the internet.  I came accross allot of comforting posts and some very scary.  I will wait to speak to the doctor.  My son was premie, but not low-weight he was 6.9 pounds.  Dad is European and I am Hispanic.   I carry G6PD which is an iron deficiency.  I am hoping everything will be o.k.    I will tell you how it goes tomorrow, but I really do not want to have him pricked with needles again, unnecesarily.   He is not my first so trust me when I say this little guy is traumatized by the experience.  

Will keep you posted.

About the scary article  it references rash, high platelet count and potentially cardiovacular disease in children under 2.

our son has a high platelet count, 725 it started just before xmas, my husband noticed a small lump behind his ear,so we took him to the doctor,he said to us his glad was swallon, 9 days later the other side was the same, he has a silent reflux  he got 'rainitidine' from the doctor which helps i think, he still crys alot through the day.. but the doctor said there was nothing to worry about some babys do cry, this has been no answer to us this is my fifth son !! were are very worried that the doctors are missing something else. They did do 3 blood tests in all, the second test showed it was coming down 675 the 3rd it showed it had gone back up to 725.. but because he's taking 6 ozs sma milk every 3-4 hours and seems to be fine.but every day is the same.about hour after his feed he's sore and crys alot, this may be nothing to do with the platelet count being so high but we are looking for an answer,why a baby with glads swallon-platelet count of 725 is normal ?  
Our 2 1/2 year has been sick since January 2009.  He has had a low grade fever almost constantly with a cough that does not go away. Many times, it will spike with no warning and will go up to 104. Sometimes, it will go 102 and even with a dose of Tylenol or Ibuprofen, it will go up to 103 or 104, rather than come down. We are on our second specialist with no real answers.  The most recent visit to our Immunologist on Friday, we got some of our blood work results back.  We found out that his white count is in the higher normal range but his platelet count was much higher.  I do not have the exact numbers.  Any suggestions?  We are going crazy.  Our son has been to either the hospital, lab, or the doctor's almost every week.  Many times his CRP has been higher.  He has been tested for many things and the good news, the tests are coming back normal.