Maternal & Child Community
Information About Methotrexate Pleaseee!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello everyone I wanted to know how can I  find information on the Meciacation Methotrexate, and if anyone know if its FDA approved, someone has suggested to me that its not, but of course its hard to believe because they gave it to me at the hospital when they thought I had a ectopic pregnacy.  really would like to know especially being that i heard that it can cause diffrent medical problems.  I don't know if Im just worried alot because Ive been sick  since the lost of the baby, or if something is making me this way.any information would be greatly appreciated.
http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/151/37528.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

Cut and paste this link and you will be directed to webmd. You can continue to search their database to find more information.

Hope this helps!!

Andrea
I had methotrexate last month.  I was too far along though so it didn't work for me.  The doctor explained that that could happen so I wasn't unprepared for that.  In my pregnancy, what could go wrong did, and it ultimately ended up in surgery.

However, I had absolutely no problems medically with the methotrexate.  It does "weaken your immune system" slightly so you might get mouth ulcers if you are not prone to getting them, but those will go away.

The most important thing my doctor told me about methotrexate is because it blocks folic acid production -- which is essential to a growing baby -- I was not allowed to eat anything at all with folic acid added to it or folate in it naturally.  That included fruits and vegetables, dairy, meats, and anything with enriched flour in it.  Basically I was told I had to eat junk food for the duration until the hcg went down to zero.  One day all I found to eat was a bag of Wise Onion Rings.  You also cannot take your prenatal vitamin.  If your doctor has a list of things you can't eat it will make it easier for you...I ate potato blintzes because I think potatoes don't have folate but I was never sure about that because it is a vegetable.  Basically, everything that is good for you is a no-no in terms of eating.

So I would discuss that with the doctor, but as far as methotrexate's physical side effects, I didn't get any -- and I am even prone to canker sores.

Good luck.
I was given a shot of methotrexate in June.  It later turned out that I didn't need the shot because I didn't have an ectopic and my HCG was falling on it's own.  I was pretty mad about that because the methotrexate made me SICK!  I was so nauseous that I couldn't get in a car for two days and all I could do was sleep.  I was really miserable.  Actually, I had pizza the night I got the shot from this restaurant that we used to really like and now I can't even think about it without wanting to throw up.  The effects wore off within a few days though.  My doc didn't mention anything about not taking my vitamins etc. and I found all that out from my  father in law (a doctor), luckily right away.  Needless to say, I have a different doc. now and as soon as we see the heartbeat with my current preg. (God willing!) I am switching to a midwife.

Methotrexate is FDA approved and is generally used as a chemotherapy drug.  As far as pregnancy they use it for ectopics and incomplete miscarriages. The amount given for an ectopic should be out of your system within days according to what I have read and is really tiny in comparison to the amount given for chemo.  
Good luck and I hope you feel better!  Annie

Hello I was just wondering, are you still pregnant with a normal pregnacy even though you've had methotrexiate?  if yes are you taken folic acid to build cells.  This happened to me but unfortunately I lost the heartbeat after 3 weeks. and surgery beacuse I still had a possible ectopic in my left ovary, a very rare heterotopic pregnacy. turns out though my tubes was clear, only had a cyst which they did remove.  Also did you have to sign a consent form before taking the medication?  if so did the form explain some things about the side effects, and or what you should and should'nt eat.  I pray they all goes well with you, by the way how far along are you ?  and how long has it been since you took the Methotrexiate?
Well my story is unbelievable but I would like to share it with you.  I found out that I was pregnant in early August and on 8/24 I went to the ER in the middle of the night with pain in my side.  After an ultrasound they said that there was no interuterine pregnancy and that there was a mass in my fallopian tube that could either be a cyst or an ectopic.  They said that either way the pregnancy would not be viable. They then gave me a 75 mg dose of methotrexate (without explaining that it is a X drug during pregnancy or any complications) and sent me home.  To make a long story short, my HCG levels continued to climb and my OBGYN gave me a second 75 mg shot of Methotrexate on 9/18.  My levels continued to rise - (over 10,000 now) so my OBGYN did a laporscopy.  When I awoke they told me that it was not an ectopic pregnancy in my tube but a cyst that they removed. They immediately sent me for an ultrasound and when I went there was a 9 week old fetus with a heartbeat.  The neonatologist was amazed that I was misdiagnosed and told me that the malformations in a pregnancy of the first trimester with Methotrexate are grotesque and that the fetus would probably not survive the pregnancy, if it did it would most likely be brain dead or have severe skeletal abnormalities and he scheduled me for a D & E last Monday. Soooooo my question is that we want to begin TTC again as soon as possible and every doctor and article i have read vary on when it is safe.  My OBGYN says one healthy period.  Why is that?  Does anyone know?  How long does the methotrexate stay in your system? Does anyone know anything about prenatal exposure to Methotrexate?

HELP???? I have so many questions and I am waiting for my appt with my new OBGYN which seems like forever. Can anyone give me any info? We are desperate to begin trying again.....

Thanks, Kim
I was thought to have an ectopic pregnancy. I was given a shot of methotrexate. A week later, there my hcg levels are still going up and there is growth in my uterus. Should I continue with the pregnancy? I can't bear to to take this baby's life especially since I had a miscarriage a few months ago. Have I been exposed to too much of the drug to damage my baby?