Maternal & Child Community
Ingrown toenail in 2 month old??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ingrown toenail in 2 month old??

My 11 week old son has an ingrown toenail. Yikes! I was curious if any of you have ever heard of or had any experience with this? When he was smaller I commented on the toenail as it looked like it wasn't reaching the end of his toe and just kind of looked like it was growing odd. His father said he'll have a problem with ingrown toenails, because that's the way his is. I haven't had to clip it once, it's still short like the rest of his toenails, so I know that's not what caused this.. The corner of his big toe is red and swollen and it looks like mine did when it was ingrown and became infected.. What will they/can they do for an infant this young? I'm worried about this..
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
189192_tn?1261345228
My little jacobs toe nails and finger nails cut into him on the corners.  Sometimes his little fingers look red and puffy in the corner.  I just try to keep his nails good and trimmed and not cut them straight across. I try to cut the corners off.  
Blank
His toenail, the part that can be cut off, is barely a millimeter long in all this time he's been born. Not sure if that is normal or not, but I have not needed to cut them and don't want to hurt it. Should I just leave it alone for now?
Blank
564775_tn?1243392302
MY SON had it to and the dr wold just have to push the skin outwards and he would be fine well about a month after pushin the skin out it seemed to solve his problems now it all grows right. and the skin seems to stay in the right place
Blank
162279_tn?1270604959
My baby had this problem too when he was born. When he was a couple of months old, I showed his Ped. and he said it is quite normal, and they almost always grow out when they get a little older. Sure enough, he is 10 months now and it has grown out completely normally.
His looked like a hunk of skin was growing over his toenail from the side.I just gently pushed it to the side as often as I thought about it to help it. He never ever acted like it was painful. Does your son act like it is painful to him?
Blank
218870_tn?1240259255
my son had two ingrown fingernails. the doc said it was very normal and to put his hand in warm water and push the skin away from it.  It cleared up in about a week.
Blank
177382_tn?1253044740
My son has it too and my his Ped said soak in epson (Sp?) salt water a couple times a day and pit hard as nails on it so it doesn't break before it grows out b/c they are so thin good luck ~d
Blank
Whew! Thank you. :) I'm glad to know it's not something serious and that it is not uncommon. And thanks for the advice.
Blank
218870_tn?1240259255
I thought it was weird how many things are completely normal in the early months that you have never heard of and scares the heck out of you.  I seemed to freak out every week or so just to have the doctor laugh at me.  I am glad to hear that I was not alone in that!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...