Maternal & Child Community
Insomnia an early pregnancy symptom?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Insomnia an early pregnancy symptom?

Hi Ladies-  Has anyone experienced insomnia in early pregnancy?  I am 10dpo and for the last 8 days or so I CAN'T sleep!  Nothing helps, this has NEVER been a problem for me.  Lately I sleep an hour or two here and there but most of the night I'm tossing and turning.  Just wondering if it's an early pregnancy symptom.
Carrie
it was for me but i would not get excited til you test.  your hormones are funky whether you are pregnant or expecting af.  I know you should wait til af is expected...but i started testing at 10 dpo and got my bfp.  good luck!
Unfortunately, for me insomnia is a sign that AF is coming and I'm always up for 2 nights staight before AF. When I'm PG, it's the opposite and I'm so tired I can barely get up. However, I have most definitely heard that insomnia is a common early PG symptom for lots of women.
Avatar n tn
Insomnia was a sign for me with this one. I couldn't sleep at night or I would toss and turn. I would be ready to go at 5am, then around noon I would jus wanna crash. It was the night time wehre I just couldn't seem to find that comfy spot. Hope this is your month! Baby dust to you******* Yes also, you may have to wait until af but you may wanna test now. If you're having symptoms usually theres enough hcg to show on a HPT! God Bless!
Avatar n tn
I don't know if there is any scientific proof of this but I COULD NOT sleep in anymore from the first day I found out I was pregnant!  I used to be able to sleep until 10 on the weekends but my body was getting up every morning at 7 or 8.  It stayed this way throughout my entire pregnancy.  Maybe it was my body preparing me for the sleep deprivation that I'm experiencing now with my 3 week old!!!  :)  

I hope that you get the result you're looking for!

Amy
Avatar n tn
The exact same situation Amy described has happened/is happening to me. I miss sleeping in, but i just can't anymore. Thankfully I can still take weekend naps though!!
Avatar n tn
Same thing happend to me. Didn't know it was a sign of pg. I m now 6 wks pg... just now starting to sleep.

Good luck!
Avatar n tn
I hope I can attribute my insomnia to pregnancy, because I don't want to live my life like this!!  I'm prone to insomnia in general, but NOTHING like THIS!!  I cannot sleep more than 2 hours at any time.  I toss and turn ALL night, and I'm very uncomfortable.  It seems that I'm chronically tired, not due to the effects of pregnancy, but due to not sleeping!!  I'm now in my 10th week.  I hope it gets better in the 2nd trimester!!  I'm not stressed about the baby, or anything else.  I don't nap either.  The usual theories don't seem to apply here!
Avatar n tn
How did that turn out??? Because I've not been able to sleep for more than 2 hours for a month now, and am ttc
Please let us know
Avatar n tn
Sorry just realised you were indeed pg when you posted that
idk if im preg. or not, but ive been having symptoms as stated in entries above. im about 18hours from home n dont really kno what to do. ive been havin insomnia for....a week or so. ive been too thirsty n hungry and im easily irritable. at time, i feel dizzy. when i urinate, i feel a lil pressure on my bladder n i have "mini-cramps". i urinate VERY often. it is sumtimes triggered by just laughing, then not even 5 mins later, im bak in the bathroom. the crazy thing about that is that i feel like i will pee my pants if i dont hurry when in reality, its just a lil drip. i need help ladies
Avatar n tn
i'm in the same boat.  such terrible insomnia.  missed period but that happens sometimes b/c of hormonal issues.....woke up this morning with sharp pains on side of only left bb...not touching, just hurts....actually shouldn't say woke up this morning because i couldn't sleep...sluggish and feel heavy....craving one particular thing for like 2 weeks now...not sure, afraid to test cause usually it's neg.  but it's been like....a month and a half since the last af....
Avatar n tn
girl i'm in the same boat. i'm kind of freaking out about it. like, literally word for word exactly what you're feeling. fatigue all day long, can't sleep at night, peeing, and i'm also losing my hair more. and i'm normally the most easygoing person in the world, but lately i just want to punch everyone in their face. i don't know what's wrong with me, but i also feel like i'm overreacting, because i've had 4 false tests before, and i feel like i'm just reading into it too much again.
I've been trying to get pregnant for 5 months now and I'm 7 days past ovulation. For the last 3-4 nights I haven't slept well at all. I've been tossing and turning all night or sleeping for one to two hours. I've never had trouble sleeping before and I don't want to get to excited about possible pregnancy. Af is due on the 10th so I guess I'll just have to wait!
i am currently experiencing preggo symptoms, hard. I get occasional heartburn, i love pickles and cream cheese, pee A LOT, sleep often always thirtsy and hungry, havent had my period for almost two months now.. got the depo shot once and didnt return for the second shot due to harsh side effects and shortly after startedd to experience all this.... TWO NEGATIVE PREG TEST, I AM SO CONFUSED... HELLLP?!
I have the same problem, i would be able to get to sleep, within idk maybe an hour i was up and like ready for the day, im 5 weeks today and its like i can sleep for days!! This is my first pregnancy as well and i knew once i wasnt able to sleep, somethin was up.  I now know why i couldnt sleep

I am so confused. Usually I can sleep through night without waking up. I have had many symptoms for about 8 days now. The second day I was sick to my stomach. 4dpo i had severe cramps. I am now HUNGRY all the time, I can't stop eating. I urinate double the amount of time. At night, I am now awake by 5am tossing and turning, and I cant sleep. But I feel so tired. I am having crazy off the top dreams once including that I am pregnant. I have a constant headache all day, every day. I am bloated and every second day constipated. My period isnt due for another 6 days. what should I do?
Im experiencing insomnia, bloating and i cant stop eating. My cycle is due in 5 days. Im trying to get pregnant and really hope this is it. Mabe its jus my cycle comin on. Ive been peeing more often and feel pressure when i do. My breasts feel different too. Im soooo hoping this is the big one :-)
Avatar n tn
I'm sorry, what is af?
For the past 2 weeks I have not been able to sleep at night....I toss and turn the whole night and I get so cranky n moody in the morning...my bf and I have been trying to conceive for a yr n we haven't had any luck yet...idk if this sudden lack of sleep might be a sign of early pregnancy..please help ladies
Af is short for "aunt flow" meaning your period :)
Avatar n tn
I have really bad insomnia!! Its 10 dpo for me and I can not ssleep for the life of me!:(
I've never been pregnant and I can't really get a good a nights sleep  2 night prior I didn't sleep at all till like 7 a m then I fell asleep and now for 2 days straight I have slight cramping  on the right side of my abdomen and feel as bit nauseas at times I'm nervous but not thinking bout it the same time so I don't freak out
I feel the same way, but keep feeling like I'm just reading too much in to the symptoms.  I have all the same symptoms as you, but I'm on a 35 day cycle, which is great except for when trying to get pregnant!  I have to wait even longer!  Moment of weakness yesterday, and of course BFN. I'm at 13 dpo and have to wait till at least 20 dpo to possibly get at BFP!  
For two-three weeks now I haven't been able to stay asleep. I literally wake up finding myself already sitting on the edge of the bed like I do when I get up, that or I toss and turn CONSTANTLY all night and have to pee. AF was 12 days late and women in my family have had their periods during their pregnancies. I just had a quantitative Hcg test today, so I guess I will know what’s up by Friday. (today is 3/30/16) I’ve been experiencing symptoms of pregnancy even now with my cycle. It doesn’t feel the same, something is different. I put the baby-craze out of my head when I got my cycle thinking the symptoms were in my head but they still haven’t gone away with my brain given the satisfaction of a period. I LOVEEEEEEE REEEESE’S CUPS but on Monday when I ripped one open and took a bite it was the most disgusting thing I’d ever tasted in my life, that right there is a huge red flag for me cycle or no cycle. My lower back has also been killing me lately, usually it only hurts when it's going to rain. I'm constantly switching my sitting position to try to get comfortable but it just hurts so bad.