Maternal & Child Community
Iron Deficiency

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Iron Deficiency

Hey everyone,

I have noticed in the last week that i've been extremely tired and my eyes are starting to yellow.  I was very concerned about this and looked up some info on line and it shows that yellow eyes and extreme tiredness are a symptom of iron deficiency which i know can be common in pregnancy.
My problem is that i can't get in to see my doctor until next Wednesday and this has me worried.  I'm considering just going to buy some extra iron pills and start taking them but i'm not sure this is a smart idea?? I'm already getting 35mg in my prenatal vitamin but i was reading in what to expect when you're expecting and it says that they often recommend an extra 50mg on top of your prenatal vitamin.
Any suggestions as to what i should do or has anyone else experienced this??
Thanks!
You can always go to planned parenthood (if you can't wait for your Dr appointment) and they can do a hemoglobin check for you right away in minutes and they will tell you immediately if your iron is low.  This may be very lost cost or even free for you.  Might help you put your mind at ease. I found out I have anemia and started taking iron pills and just walked in to Planned Parenthood to have my levels checked.  I'm not sure what the levels are for iron overdose but I have heard of it happening.....Better to be careful.....Good Luck :)
I had low iron with both of my pregnancies.  I was tested both times toward the end of my pregnancy, and was then put on the iron pills.  I think you should call your doctor and ask him/her.  They may want you to go get some blood work done to make sure that is what it is.  I wouldn't take anything until clearing it with your doctor first.  Good luck!
Thanks for the advice and i think you're right, that i shouldn't start taking anything extra until i know for sure.  Does having low iron cause problems for my baby??
I am anemic and was told to take an iron pill in addition to my pre-natal vitamins.  I would suggest you wait until you see your doctor so he/she can advise you of your blood count.  In the mean time, watch your diet.  Eat lots of health food and eat small portions several times per day.  That seems to help me.
my doc told me to definitely atake additional 150 percent of RDA plus my prenatal
i got my  lest bloodtest and they found out that my hemoglobin is 10.9  which is very low from the  normal range of 12-15.   I am now 29 weeks pregnant...   please give  some advice............