Maternal & Child Community
Irregular cycles after miscarriage 9 months ago - hormone imbalance?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I had a miscarriage at almost 6 weeks, back in March (2006). I bled on and off, heavy bleeding for almost 3 months from it. Then I was getting my period every week 2 weeks. I went to my GYN and even the ER several times, because the bleeding was so heavy and often. I had 2 transvaginal ultrasounds and they told me everything was fine and that nature was just taking its course.

This was my first ever pregnancy and miscarriage. Before it happened, I had a very regular 27 to 28 day cycle. In the past 3 months, I have gotten "almost" back to normal. I stopped getting my period every 2 weeks, and now go from 23 to 29 day cycles. However, I start getting cramps for 2 weeks BEFORE my period, I have very large clots and I just don't feel normal. In fact, I know I'm not because for 15 years prior to my miscarriage, I never had anything like this happen.

We have been trying to conceive for over a year. I got pregnant 4 months after we started trying but my irregular cycles has changed everything. I don't think I am even ovulating.

If anyone has had anything similar to this, please share your story. I'm very worried that I will never be the same again! =(

Thanks,

Jenn
I had very irregular periods for seven months after I miscarried.  I started reading about the definition of infertility and part of the definition was that you had to be active in TTC before a doctor would treat you.  At the time I was not too active because my attitude was, "Who cares?  I don't menstruate, so I obviously don't ovulate."  But then, I realized I had to give it a try before I could get infertility treatments from the doctor.  So, I never got regular again, but am now pregnant.  For the whole seven months the doctors kept insisting I was fine.  I saw a traditional Chinese medicinal specialist though and she said I had stagnation in the womb and gave me some herbal supplements and that's when I got pregnant.
I've had 2 mc's this year and I have been irregular like crazy. I have a AF but it is very light. I spot then have a regular period for like a day and thats it.
I haven't gotten regular since. I've been meaning to go to the OB about it. People have told me that it takes a while but you would think that 7 months would do. I don't know. When you find out let me know. I don't feel normal either. You would think that it would be a hormonal imbalance.
Thanks for your input Tia, that's very interesting. I've never heard of that before. I'll definitely have to look into that and bring it up to a doctor.
I had a miscarriage in March and after that only 3 AF's.  After being sick of my doc. for telling me to wait and wait and wait. I got a second opinion and was diagnosed with PCOS and am on Clomid this month.  I finally feel hopeful.  Good luck!