Irregular fetal heartbeat
hello,

I am 31 weeks pregnant and was told last week that my baby has an irregular hearbeat.  That is, that every ten beats or so there is a missed heartbeat.  The doctor called it arrythmia.  I have been scheduled to see a cardiologist in few weeks.  The wait is terrifying.  I smoke about ten cigarettes a day X 1 milligrams.  I have finally decided to quit as of tomorrow... i wish i did it earlier.... does anyone know anything about fetal arrythmia?  I would hate to get this far in my pregnancy and lose her now, i am a total mess.

Bekky21
My son was born with a heart murmur and a hole in his heart. This was diagnosed the day after my original due date. My OB decided to induce and we had the NICU team in my delivery room ready to swoop in on him. They checked him out and decided it was nothing dire. Within 36 hours, he was given an echo and EKG, all confirming the murmur and arrythmia. After seeing one of the top ped cardiologists in the world (luckily my hometown is the meca of cardiology) and bi monthly visits for 6 months, they decided he would be fine. The hole closed by 6mos, the murmur and arrythmia is still there, but deemed "non-specific" so everything is great.

My son literally had all the s/s of a heart problem with one exception, his growth. He would sweat profusley when he nursed, was ashen around the lips, was as fair as I am but since he was 95th + percentile for his height and weight they weren't too worried.

Hopefully the cardiologist will feel the same in your case. Normally that isn't something to be too concerned about, especially now. From what I understand it is quite common.

Good luck and quit smoking : )

Andrea