Maternal & Child Community
Irregular periods after birth of child

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Irregular periods after birth of child

I am a 25 yr old woman who had her first baby last december.  I breastfed for 4 months with no periods.  Around month 5 my period came back in the middle of the month on my birth control.  It was very light and only lasted about 2 days and at the end of the month it came back for about 4 days a little heavier than it had been.  I contacted my doctor and he said it would take several months to be regulated again.  Well, here i am 9 months into is and it continues to come twice a month.  I was also diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and i don't know if that has to do with my irregular periods.  Does anyone out there have similar symptoms?
Can be your birth control wasnt strong enough? causing breakthrough bleeding
I also have a thyroid condition and my medication has just been changed and it seems that I am having bleeding at different times I didnt know if it was the cause or me getting pre menopausal (Im almost 38)
I wondered about the thyroid myself causing the problem
I have a doctors appt. tomorrow.  I'll let you know if it has to do with the thyroid.  I think that is what it is, just some breakthrough bleeding and my birth control isn't strong wnough.  Thanks for responding.
Hi guys. I had by baby in March, and finally got my period (or at least what I thought was my period) around July 25. I have been breastfeeding since March- and trying to be consistent, but sometimes I can only pump once a day while at work full-time. So, we have to supplement with formula more on some days than others. It is now Septemeber- I haven't had my period again yet.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced a lapse in their period while breastfeeding (I thought perhaps due to inconsistent breastfeeding schedule??) I did take 2 pregnancy tests, and both were negative. Any insight will be helpful!!
I had my baby on June 24 2005 and I had my first period on august 26th and it lasted 3 days now I am worried cause it is the 29th of september and there is no sign of me getting it is this normal? I am kinda scared to take a pregnancy test can I really do not think that I could handle being pregnant again.
I had my baby in April and breast fed her for 4 months. Now its six months since the birth and I have not got my period. I was told that my period would return after about a month after I stop breast feeding. I am now getting a bit scared. I tested for pregnancy and know that I am not. has anyone heard of such a prolonged gap after pregnancy to get periods?
I had my baby july 9th, had a period that lasted two days.. on august 20th. Then i had another period for about the same time on the 20th of September but, no period yet this month. I am also breastfeeding. would that have something to do with it?? I really don't want another baby for a WHILE..!

Hi, I also have irregular spotting and periods, almost every 2 weeks. It's been 6 months since the birth of my baby and I stopped breastfeeding at 3months. My period started right away after I stopped breastfeeding and seemed normal and in time. And then after two cycles it got all out of whack. I don't know what's causing it. I was not diagnosed with any medical conditions and not on birth control. Anybody has the same symptoms? Any answers? Is it common? I am worried.
hi, am 28 years and had my secon baby 25 june i also have irregular periods sometimes 3 times a month its been six months now i have been to da doctors and they said i am fine i dont no what to do! any advice pls let me know.

bye sabrin
I had my second baby October 22nd of 08.. i am 20 years old. I have no had a period just the normal 6 week bleeding after you have a baby. I am very scared that it could be pregnancy? I took a test a few weeks ago it was negetive but afriad it was too soon to tell? Anyone have any insight? Are periods irregular after having a baby??
I am happy to see that I am not the only one experiencing the gap in periods now i know I'm not alone. I had a baby last April and my period was fine. it came when it was suppose to after having the baby but in Oct. it strated to change. First it was a week late and did not come the next month. Then it came early Dec. and none in Jan.
Ok, so I'm a 28 year old mother of 2 boys.  My oldest 4 and after I had him i breastfed for about 4 months and continued to pump until he was 7 months old nad when I got I my period back with him, it was a little irregular for a couple cycles and then it regulated to 21 days.  Since have my 2nd son last May, my periods have been so irregular that I'm getting a little concerned.   He has been bottlefed since birth.  I did try to breastfeed and just didn't produce enough milk so i pumped and formula fed.  I quit pumping after 2 1/2 months cause I wasn't getting enough for 2 feedings in a day.  Shortly after that, my period came back and the first one was ok.  i bled heavily, but that is too be expected.  The second one came after 21 days, so I thought it was good.  But after the first 2, things have been so irregular.  For a couple months it was one week on one week off and then it slowed to every 2 weeks and then went to 21 days once and has since gone back to every 2 weeks and lasting 10 days.   Is this common for not breastfeeding?  Should I be worried?
so apparently enough im not the only one with crazy irregular periods after child birth i gave birth to my first born child 8 months ago. for my first 5 months i didnt get my period and 2 months after i got my period but very little. and about 3 months ago uve been having it like twice a month! i dont know if its got something to do with brestfeeding, but i feel weak im concerned am i loosing too much liquids? i know im not preignant otherwise i wouldnt be bleeding but its there something wrong with me , should i be concerned? and if it so, how can i fix it? for my own health.

thank you.
I am 20 years old and had my son in October of 2008.  I got my first period almost 6 weeks to the day after he was born (I was always a "right as rain" kind of girl".  But since then, I've been irregular.  The last period I had was in mid-March and it lasted to the beginning of April! A 2 1/2 week period!  Now, I have no signs of menstruating, and I am terrified of being pregnant again!  I took a pregnancy test yesterday and it was negative.  I have always been very in-tune with my body, but childbirth has really thrown me off!  Are irregular periods normal after giving birth?
I am so pleased I found this site, I thought there was something really wrong with me lol. I stopped bleeding 11 days after giving birth to my second child, then I have had periods every 2 weeks since, mentioned it to my doc at my 8 week check and she said everything was fine and normal and would soon settle down. I couldn't help worrying though as none of my friends experienced anything like it, neither did I with my first child. I feel so much better knowing that I'm not alone. Good luck to everyone and I hope everything returns to normal soon. For us all lol x
hi, i recently had my son in august. i bled for 4 weeks. and then 2 weeks later i had a period. i started taking the pill. everything was fine. until last month i tried to skip my period. i spotted all week so i just stopped taking it and had a period. but i didnt go back on the pill due to other medical reasons. Since then i have been using protection with my partner. And i am sure of it as im not ready for another baby. I am now a week late. I am scared i could be pregnnt even though 2 pregnancy tests have said negative. does anyone know if this could be normal because of coming off the pill or do u think i could definately be pregnant??
so i had a baby on november 25 then i bled for about 6 weeks which they told me was normal then i got my first period and it seemed normal the second month came and i had my period again but i havent seemed to get it this month and i haven't had since january what should i do?
i had my second baby in december, i got my first period after having baby in march, and again almost to the day in april. and now there is no sign of it. is this normal, or could i be pregnant again?
Baby boy born on Dec. 22nd, breastfed exclusively through March, but in April we started supplementing b/c he would scream and scream like he wasn't getting enough milk. We are now down to nursing 2, sometimes 3x a day - but mostly morning and at night. I had my first period last month (May, 2010). It was heavy, uncomfortable, and lasted over a week. In other words: totally gross. I wasn't sure how regularly my period would come now, but it's been 1 week past a month since I last got a period and nothing. Well, nothing except 5 days of cramping. We've been using protection, but I'm getting a little paranoid. Does this seem normal to anyone? Should I just buy a test? My son isn't even 6 months yet -- eventually we want to have a second child, but I think this might be a little soon! Not like we wouldn't be happy, but I selfishly wanted to fit into my old pants before fitting into maternity pants again. :) Ideas anyone? Thanks!
hey i had my daughter on dec 22, 2009 also and i breast fed her up to 5 and 1/2 months. i got my first period at the end of june(about 2 weeeks after i stopped) and it was pretty normal but now today is day 28, and i use to run on a 24 - 25 day cycle and i haven't got my period yet. from what i read, it seems like it's pretty normal to have irregular periods for the first couple months after the first one you get. i dont think any of us have to worry about being pregnant....it's just how our lovely bodies work.
Well I had my first child in october of 09... my period after that was normal until the beginning of 2010.. I would have one every month for four mths.. And skip one.. And then again the same.. I been having intercourse and now I missed two months.. Could I be pregnant?
i have had my twin  this year august.after three month got my first period.now have not gotten the second.am getting worried to extend being depreesed.is it normal to miss