Maternal & Child Community
Irregular periods after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Irregular periods after miscarriage

I m/c on 12/20 and had a d/c.  AF came 1/21/06.  Before m/c I was very regular, every 28 days. I thought this cycle would come on 2/18. I am 2 days late.  I am not using any birth control method except marking my calendar to perfection each month.  I can always tell when I'm Ovulating, and I know I ovulated early this time - on 1/30 - 1/31.  My DH and I BD on 1/28 without protection since I had just ended my AF.  I have a few symtoms (symptoms) of preg. - boobs are extremely sore today, pimples all over face - hot flashes - white discharge, etc...   I'm wondering if anyone who has m/c can tell me if your cycles were regular or not, or do you think I could be preg. again even though I think I Ovulated within days of ending my cyle.  I should not have ovulated until 2/4.  Any comments would be great - we are not telling anyone this time if we are preg. because we told everyone last time thus when we m/c every one knew.  I just need to talk to someone other that my hubby about this!  He is my best friend and very supportive, but sometimes I need a girlfriend to talk to, ya' know!
no hpt yet.  I am going to get one today.  Usually hpt doesn't show pos. for me until I'm about a week late.  I honestly don't know what to expect...I'll be elated if it's positive, and a little disappointed if it's neg.  We have three children now, and before this poss. preg. my dh and I agreed to be done after the m/c, as it was so hard to handle.  I still have days when I cry alot!
Yep - 3 kiddos.  boy-8, girl-7, girl-3.  They are truly my life's joy and purpose.  Children are definately a blessing from God!
I would say to take a pregnancy test, many many women get pregnant right after a miscarriage. My cycles did return to normal after my miscarriages. You would really besurprised how mnay women conceive right afterthey miscarry, you're ey fertile. And especially if you and DH did the BD around the time you were ovulating! If the test shows negative and you still haven't started in aweek take another or see if the Dr's can get you in fora blood test! Good Luck to you! God Bless!
Tyler, Mikayla, and Katelyn.  I hope you can conceive soon!  My girls are so much more strong willed than my son!  My dh says they inherited it from me! ha ha ha
I took a hpt - negative results.  I will test again in a few days.  Let you all know what happens!
I am sorry for your loss.  I too m/c last month with a d&c.  I got my af 5 weeks after and I am now TTC.  I wish you all the best.  I am not sure if af cycle will be normal.  I doubt mine will be but everyone is different.  Hang in there, if you have doubts, call your doc.

BABY DUST!
that is a wonderful question, because i am in the same boat.  I began to miscarriage Dec. 9, stopped bleeding 4 days later.  6 weeks after i got my AF. But have not gotten it yet.  I began having symptoms about 2 weeks ago AF should have come thursday, went to the dr.  they did urine test came back negative, dr. said that my period should go back to normal right after since i wasn't very far along.  They also did blood work which i haven't got the results but i took another test this morning still negative.  But with the pregnancy that just ended, i took a test at 5 weeks and the line was very faint, dr.  office didn't even get a positive. (sorry if this is all over the place, just trying to cover the basics) if anyone has an advice on what could be going on, please give.  Thanks!!!!!
Hello Ladies,

My cycle after this miscarriage began like this...

D&C 1/5
0 2/3
AF 2/17 (exactly 2 weeks later).  

So i know that when ever i O i will get af 2 weeks later.. i just have to wait to O.  My cycles before my pregnancy were a little off. I had a 45 day cycle in sept/oct then i got pg.  Hopefully i wont go 4 weeks until i O this month.. that will make me crazy.. haha.  I am confident dh and i will get pg this cycle.  :-)

StephD & Dolly

you guys are too funny.. It is so not my fault if you are catching on to my clumsiness.. :-)  

haha

PS i am home today.. :-)
I am totally blaming my fall on you =D.  I am never that clumpsy, dh watched me fall and made me change out of my new boots!  Anyhow, I am taking an OPK at 3:30, I hope I can hold it until then!  2 more hours to go!
So you are not using OPK?  Do you know when you O?  I am tracking my temp so I can be sure if o actaully occurs.  I told you I am obsessive.
af isnt over for me yet.. I was heavy on friday & saturday yesterday was light, today is lighter but i am sure i will "spot" for the rest of the week.

Steph, I definately think that your spilling of the cappucino is a definate sign of clumsiness..

:-)  Now hopefully we can all catch each others BFP!!  
If you want to use opk, then you shuold start testing on CD 10,  so count the first day of your af as CD1.  Test in the afternoon and don't go to the bathroom or drink excessively for 4 hours then FOLLOW instruction on the OPK.  You are looking for equal or darker than the test line.  Since I can't ensure I can bd every other day like I wanted, I will definatelt test until I get a + and since I am tracking temp, FF.com will be able to confirm o occurs.  I hope this make sense!
I cannot wait for a bfp...I feel like I am one of those who has to try for months to get pg...I have got to fell better about this!
No, I don't have kids and I feel very empty.  I feel like something is missing in my life..I saw one of my pg friends on Sat and she will have her baby any day now.  
I want to relax but I don't know how..I hope once I O, I can feel relax again because it's not up to me if I conceive.  I was the same way when I was TTC the 1st time.  Drove my dh insane!
I am 28 and I feel like my clock is ticking.  I guess, I have always been a PLANNER.  It's just my personality, if I want something done, I will have a way get it.  But this is the only thing in life I can't control and that's what's bothering me.  You are right, it'll happen when it's meant to be.  I don't know what I am going to do without you guys..
I would get a HPT if I were you. I miscarried Jan 13 and stopped bleeding around the 17 and I began feeling like I did the last time I found out I was pregnant just recently. I went and bought 2 HPT's and took one on friday and it came out positive and then i took the other one today and that one also came back positive...this time the lines were even darker. Now I just have to get it confirmed. I've also heard that it is very likely to get pregnant right after a miscarriage.

Good Luck to you!!!

Amanda
ooh, good luck with the tests.  I just rely on cm charting and it has always worked for me, but I have found over the years that I get pregnant more easily.  This is my 6th pregnancy, we weren't trying; bd on Friday (late) and O on monday and still somehow got pregnant. (Yay).  I would go with the symptoms and test early.  My 2nd miscarriage was very early at 3 weeks, like a chemical pregnancy - I think it's still good to know.  But these feel like sticky babies.  It seems to be in the e-air.
I am not going anywhere.  I meant if I wouldn't of found this site and met you ladies.  Somethime, I just need a kick in the axx to remind me how lucky I am and not to take things for granted.  Thanks again!  I just talked to dh and told him to save some energy for me for tonight!  45 minutes until OPK!
Thanks..I am going to call tomorrow and make an appointment so I can know for sure. I am so excited but so nervous at the same time. I just hope everything goes well this time.

I am not sure if you'll all read this or not but I have 2 kids and just lost twins a couple of months ago at 10 weeks. I got my a/f 3 weeks after my d&c and am now nearly a week over due. I am not concerned about being pregnant right now as I am scared to even do a test as last time it was so heartbreaking to know what was going on.

I just wanted to say that babies come when they are meant to and while it is so lovely that you are all trying you hardest to make them at all the right times and with the OPK and stuff sometimes just relaxing about it will give you nudge in the right direction. By all means work out the maths, even chart your temps if you are concerned about O but at the end of the day it is a union between you and your partner and hopefully it is all fun and love and not a streesful experience. I wish you all the best of luck with concieving and keeping the lil bump till the very end! MMMWWAA.

Nik
How sad!  I also miscarried on Jan 13th..evil Fridays...  Anyway, I had a mc then, I had a regular AF on Feb 16th, and nothing yet.  I know it's much too early, and scary because we're not trying to get pregnant...but I also know it will just break my heart if I get a negative result.  And if I have another mc, it'll be just awful.  The first mc was my first pg, and I was so happy, I sat my family down and told them, and they were so happy...ugh, the waiting is terrible.  At least I will probably know tomorrow.
I miscarried for the second time over 4 weeks ago. I usually have my period every 28 days and i am on my 31st day. This will be my first period after my miscarriage and i am worried about why it hasnt arrived. My body feels alien to me. I dnt know why i did a pregnancy test yday but it came out negative. Is it normal to have a delayed period after a miscarriage?
hi there. This is my first comment on this website. I had my second miscarriage over a month ago. My periods are usually so regular! I am on my 31st day and my periods have still not arrived. I am worried! help!
I m/c on Jun 22nd and it was 9 wks before my first period came!! I had regular periods before my m/c every 28 days but this is my second cycle and it's was 40 days before it came. Has anyone else experienced this?? I really want to start trying again but don't have a clue where my body is at and if my cycles will ever get back to normal.
Hi Lou-
I know this is late, but im in the same boat as you- my periods were always very regular- even before being on the pill- i found out i was pregnant in january, and end of march found out at 7wks, my uterus shrunk, doc did an ultrasound/ baby didn't makei it no heartbeat on ultrasound-, had a d&c, then spotting, spotting spotting for next few months- a few months ago i had a light period- (not normal) then got the doc's ok to start trying again- now here i am 10/14, and the first day of my last period was 8/18 , at frst i was like yay- maybe im pregant , i must have wasted like $100 on home pregnancy tests- all neg-- have not gotten any spotting or anything lately- it sucks- i feel with my luck, what if im sterile? but my doc/friends made me feel better- im thinking all this stress is making me miss my period- also my doc said after a miscarriage, our bodies sometimes take time to realize we're no longer pregnant-   I've never wanted a visit from aunt flow like this before!!! hope this helps to realize others are in the same boat as well.
This is my first post on here, I miscarried on 19 March, had D & C and got my periods on 22 April, so I was due on Monday, but mothing yet, I took a HPT and got 2 negatives.
I have had period pain for about a week now and not sure what to do.
Any advice?
Kady.
I m/c in Sept '09, bled a little from the D&C, but then it took me another 35 days to get my period. After that I got my period in 22 days and then the next month in 23 days. My last period was 46 days ago. I have some symptoms (unusual acne, cramping, sore breasts, etc), but none of these are consistent (they come and go - unlike when I was preg and they were consistent). We are ttc and used one of those digital ovulation tests (which is how I got preg last time), but doc said with an irregular cycle they do not work. I too have spent a fortune on preg tests - all negative. I called doc and they saw me, did a pelvic and said I was fine. They said that getting my period in 22/23 days is considered an irregular cycle, just like being late now, it is still consistent with an irregular cycle. I am a little overweight and they said that can affect ovulation, which he said I wasn't ovulating properly.  I know stress can affect things, but for the most part, I don’t feel very stressed. They offered to give me meds to induce my period but I said no and I would wait to see what happened. Anyone experience anything like this? I also never wished so hard for my period to come!
I a a n u a i a n h o c w a t s
i i p t s a t w s t t t m b h t o a?

I a a n u a i a n h o c w a t s
i i p t s a t w s t t t m b h t o a?

All I was trying to say with the above was PLEASE please complete your messages. I have no idea what most of the short cuts mean and i might be able to understand and have a lot less pain if i was to be able to help.

you are on the forum to share pain. you might be able to share it with a lot of people but unfortunately there are dumm people like me who do not understand
tta, m/c, AF, BD, DH and so on...

T Y F L A H M O H
HPT
BFN
D&C
OPK

o.k. sorry that i am a little frustrated.. ;(

i am just in a really bad mood because of what happened. i am not sure i will return to this forum but if you want to help other sufferers (not me of course as i am grumpy) please try and write meaningful posts with real words
thanks so much
Hello, hi_again.  I know it's frustrating with all those acronyms!  
ttc - trying to conceive
AF - Aunt Flo
BD - Baby dance (sex)
DH - your husband or partner
m/c - miscarriage
HPT - home pregnancy test
D&C - dilation and curettage (procedure to clean you out after miscarriage)
BFN - negative on a pregnancy test
OPK - ovulation predictor kit

Hope this helps!  Also, what happened to you?  Did you have a miscarriage?  If so, I am very sorry for your loss.  I had a miscarriage three weeks ago after ttc (trying to conceive) for five months, and it has been devastating...

-E

Hi everyone.
I'm in the same situation as a lot of you.  I had a m/c around 8 weeks.  Got AF 28 days after D&C and am now late for next AF.  ttc again and have mild symptoms of pregnancy, but not consistant.  and BFN.  I'm not sure if the symptoms are jsut em wishing I was Pregnant.  I know I will have better luck if I don't strss...but it's very hard.

Best of luck to everyone. :)
I am 31 Have had two miscarriages.Last one was in Febuary of this year.I just wanna know why is it after everytime I have  a miscarriage I have irreguar periods.Making it very difficult to get pregnant.Im desperate to have a baby.Will i ever get the proper care I need to find out I dont have insurrance.So medicade wouldn't really help me.What can I do?I went on the Pill to get regular and it seemed to not really do any thing its still irregular.Im going off the pill Just to give my body rest from hormones.I need to know if I will ever have a healthy baby.
I an iud for 3 years, and my husband and i decided to go for baby # 4 so i had the iud removed oct. 14th.  I had a AF on ovt. 16th until the 20th, found i was PG on nov. 8th. Unfortunetly a week after i found out i was PG, the 15th, i had a confirmed MC. Now being december i have been expecting AF for about a week and i haven't had any symptoms of an AF, I've taken a couple test and all negitive. So i'm stuck between the thought that my body was traumitized and its taking its time or that i'm pregnant but confused that if i am why isn't it reading positive?
I am so sorry for everyone's losses.. I miscarried September26, 2009.. My periods are now coming every two months. They were normal before 28 day cycles.   I really do not understand why.  
Im so sorry to hear for your loses im in the same boat me and my hubby have been trying for our 2nd baby for nearly 2 years now, Weve had 2 miscarriages, the doctors wont do anything till we have a 3rd miscarriage! Just feel so empty inside :-( alot of my friends have got pregnant unexpectantly or quickly etc just lately and since miscarriages my periods are all over the place which makes me feel even more down
Hi, I have read all comments for a while now but have never posted a question.  I find you all very friendly and supportive and it is always nice to talk to someone who has "been there".  I have a question and was hoping someone has had similar situation and knows the answer.  I had MC on June 4, 2010 I was 9 Weeks.  In my ultrasound my Doctor said I had "acctually" MC at 7 weeks but didn't show signs untill 9 weeks.  I did it naturally and It was quite tramatic.  I bleed for about 2 weeks straight, very heavy.  I got my first period on July 7th which lasted about a week.  I then just yesterday got it again?  My Doctor keeps telling me everyone is different but I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else?  And how long it took to get a regular cycle and how long it may take to get preg again?  My Cycle was always regular before, every 28days.  Thanks to all for taking the time to read this, hope to hear from someone. :)
I had a miscarriage about in mid August.  I didn't get my period for about 6 weeks.  I was really hoping I was pregnant the next month, but sure enough my little friend came after 37 days of playing the agonizing waiting game.  I used to be very regular- about every 29 days.  I guess it just takes a while for your body to get back to  normal again.  I hope this helps!
hi! im 22 i found out i was pregnant on feb. 6th of this year then found out i was micarring feb. 15th i was only 2 weeks or so they didnt have to do a d&c i bled for maybe 2 wks then stopped i was supposte to start on the 16th of this mounth but i havent can any one tell me if this is normal or not???
Hi!
I really wanted to about time gap for mensuration after miscarriage.I had my m/c on jan 08/11, I had my 1st period after mensuration in the right time though it was more painful than before.But after dat started havin irregular periods 8-9 days difference. this time i should ve had my period around 20 may but still im not havin any periods n my left side of my stomach is paining dont know wats happening to me!! Pls advice it will be a great help for me!!Thanks!!
I'm sorry for everyones loss. But, After a miscarriage it can take up to a year to get your hormones back into wack. I had a Miscarriage in 11/10. My hormones are still not right. I was told that I couldnt have children that I was unable to concieve (conceive). Now I know that isnt true. My doctor told me that it could take up to a year for my cycles to OK again. I'm still ttc and only believe that with time it will happen.

I know that it is painful having a miscarriage. You just dont feel complete or you want your baby back. You cuss god and you're mad as hell. That was me. I felt like the worst trick was played on me!  I dont cry about it  much anymore but If I would have carried to term I would be delievering in about a month and I start to think of what could have been. Believe me, it doesnt hurt any less, just easier to deal with. I wish everyone the best of luck in ttc!
I'm very sorry for your loss. It's only when a mc happens that you realise how much you don't control. I lost my first eight weeks ago and I'm still struggling with things. It doesn't help when your physical symptoms feel like they're conspiring against you. It does get easier, but I am like you - a planner. It drives my dh mad and he's been so good. You have to let go of the reigns while your body heals and just see what life throws at you. Before you know it, you will feel like you again, and then you can plan the next one. Good luck!