Maternal & Child Community
Irregulat heartbeat at 6 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Irregulat heartbeat at 6 weeks

An ultrasound was done at 6w3d. The Dr. said that the heartbeat was variable bet'n 100-130. I have been called for a repeat u/s in 10 days. My dr warned me about a miscarriage bcos of this. My progesterone levels were @ 23.5. My first worry is about a m/c and second one - Is my baby going to be healthy when born (Will this irregular hearbeat have negative effect in future?).

my dd had an irregular heart beat when i was pg with her...it actually straightened itself out before she was born and even if it hadn't my doc said it would shortly after birth (most likely)
so i wouldn't worry about right now wait until your next appointment and see how things go 6w 3d is still pretty early anyway.
~nanci
I think it is way, way, way too early to make any predictions as to the state of your pregnancy by that range of the heart beat.  Unless there was something else the doctor saw that worried him.  

Very early gestations can have slow heart rates--yours really isn't all that slow.  And even if it was "irregular"...I think it means absolutely nothing at this point.

I'd hang tight until the next ultrasound.  As your doctor for more specifics if he/she still continues to be so pessimistic.

Sometimes i think that doctors get us all worked up sometimes, and it doesn't do much good for our emotional health.  I just had a miscarriage about 8 weeks ago.  Surprisingly, I immediately got pregnant without even having one period.  I am now 7w3d pregnant.  Anyhow, when i first got the positive urine test, I called the doctor up, and she ordered a blood test.  My levels came up at 40,000.  Being that we didn't know how far along I might be, and since I just had a miscarriage, she thought I might possibly have a molar pregnancy with my levels so high.  Of course I got all worked up. 3 days later I went back for another blood test and ultrasound.  Levels were now at 72,000 (not quite double) and the ultrasound determined I was about 6w4d - levels were just fine for the gestational age -AND showed a fetal heartbeat of only 116 bpm - which the ultrasound tech blurted out she thought that was on the low end.  My dr called back to say I wasn't out of the woods yet, she was concerned about the low heartbeat and that I was now showing a subchorionic hematoma behind the placenta.  Sigh....I haven't had any bleeding yet, and I just went for another ultrasound about 2 hours ago.  Baby was growing fine, heartbeat was now 141 bpm.  I'm still showing some blood behind the placenta, but so far no bleeding.  I'm trying to encourage you to try to relax.  The heartbeat will probably strengthen as the baby progresses. My sister-in-law looked up some info on the web and saw a study where sometimes the fetal heartbeat doesn't get into the 120-160 range until after 8.5 weeks.  I will pray that everything turns out OK.  Sometimes knowing so early just causes more worry.  If she wants me to come back for another ultrasound in a week, I may just tell her I want to wait til 12 weeks or so....I get myself too worked up.

By the way, I watched a Baby Story the other day on TLC, and both women had babies with irregular heartbeats during pregnancy that went onto have steady heartbeats once they were born.