Maternal & Child Community
Is This Normal?!?! Possible reaction to shots?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Yesterday I took my 4 year old for a physical and they said he was due for shots. They gave him 4 shots, The Meningococcal Vaccine, the Chickenpox vaccine, MMR, and Polio. By late afternoon he was winy and cranky and moving around stiffly.
By last night he was crying and barely moving, saying his legs hurt. I gave him some children's Tylenol and laid him on the couch with a blanket to watch one of his favorite movies. He feel asleep, so I woke him up to feed him dinner and he did eat some soup but was barely hobbling around and saying "Ow, ow!"
I figured he'd be better this morning but when he got up he was still acting this way. He didn't want to sit down to eat breakfast. I had to gently push his legs down to a sitting position with him crying.

I called the Pediatric office this morning and they transferred me to Immunizations. He asked me if his legs looked red, swollen or hot to the touch. I didn't think so but he was crying and not wanting me to touch his legs. He kept pushing me away. The Tech from Immunizations said if he was still acting like this tomorrow or got worse to bring him back in tomorrow or make an acute appointment.

This is kind of freaking me out! I've NEVER seen him act like this before. I just feel so sorry for the poor little guy. He really seems to be hurting.
Is this normal?! Should I be concerned?

You know, it seems like they have more shots now days. I don't remember my two teens getting this many. If I had to do it over again, I would NEVER let them give him 4 all at once. I think that's too many for his little body to have to deal with. What are they thinking?! What if he had a reaction to one of the shots? We wouldn't know which one since he had 4 all at once. If I had to do it over again, I'd have them give him only 1 or 2 at a time.

How do you all feel about this? I'm just worried about him. He's had shots before but I've never seen him act like this.
Please someone, write back. I hate having to wait till tomorrow to see the doctor. I just don't know what to do. They said to just keep giving him children's Tylenol and children's Motrin. I wish there was more I could do. Should I be worried? Can this be a normal reaction? I don't even know if I should try to take him to Preschool today. I guess I'll let him decided if he feels up to going.
Did anything like this happen to anyone else?
I feel so bad for my poor baby. :(
Sounds like a lot to go through.  They didn't have the Meningococcal or the Chicken Pox vaccines when my kids were little, so I probably don't know much more than you do about it.

I think I'd have been tempted to keep him home from school, especially if he is acting like he's in such pain.  I would keep alternating the Tylenol and the Motrin, and perhaps put an icepack (wrapped in a soft cloth)  on his legs also, to help with the pain?

I wish I could tell you something helpful.  If you are really worried, I'd make the acute appt as they said.

The drug info for both just says "pain and redness at the injection site" are the most common adverse reaction.  

Where did they give him the shots?  Legs, butt, arms, combination of sites?
2 in each thigh. He's acting a LITTLE better today but still walking very stiffly and not wanting to bend his legs to sit. Still doesn't want me to touch his legs and is still acting like they hurt quite a bit. I just honestly don't remember him ever having a reaction like this before.
Do you know they asked if I wanted to give him the flu mist while I was there? As if he didn't have enough to deal with! I told them I thought this was enough for one day. They also drew blood to check for anemia (a requirement for his preschool). I can't believe these people! 4 shots, drawing blood and then asking if I also wanted to do the flu mist, all in one day! Unbelievable!
This is the reason I dont vaccinate my DD. No one can tell me that it is acceptable to give a small child ridiculous amounts of shots. Especially when they smaller. My DD has only had the one Hib shot they give in the hospital, and if I would have realized that they were going to give it to her I would have refused. To me vaccines are poison, no one knows for sure if they are safe, and if they are safe for some children, they are not safe for ALL children. I feel bad for your little boy, he must feel miserable:) I hope he and you feel better soon. Maybe you could try a warm bath and it may relax his little muscles.
Do you get a lot of pressure and/or condemnation from doctors for not getting your daughter vaccinated?
I'm just wondering because every time I so much as express a concern about a treatment or medication, I feel like I get shot down or even ridiculed by doctors. My son's four year shots are going to be due in January, and his pedi is really pushing a new MMR vaccine that has a chicken pox combined with it in the same shot. I told him Trevor already had his chicken pox vaccine in '05, and he proceedes to tell me that *now* the CP vaccine needs a booster like every two years or something!
I didn't say anything then, but when the time comes, I can assure you that I'm not pumping Trevor full of a useless vaccine that's going to need another booster in two years.
So I was just wondering if you get a lot of negative responses from medical professionals for not wanting to vaccinate your daughter.
Remember, there is an entire Immunization and Vaccine forum too.  Lets not let this turn into a big fight...I know we are capable of rational discussion.

I don't think I would do a lot of vaccines at the same time, either.  If there were a problem, how in the heck would you know which one was responsible, and perhaps you shouldn't get a booster of it?

Becca....do you ever plan to allow her to get any vaccines until she reaches adulthood?  The main reason  I'm wondering is that she may never be able to travel to certain countries, never hold down a job in healthcare, or other occupations that require certain immunizations.
As a nurse, it would be very foolish of me not to be immunized b/c of pt contact.  And I cannot work in PP or L&D without being immune to rubella.  

Just wondering for the ladies who do not feel it is good to ever vaccinate, if they've given thought to how their decisions might affect their children later.

I've definitely given thought to vaccinations, and I want to make sure Trevor gets the ones that are crucial, like the MMR, polio, DTaP, and the like.
But for chicken pox or a flu vaccine twice a year? I don't find that necessary. I got Trevor the Flu Mist yesterday, but only because he's still really young and the flu can be dangerous for him right now. He and I had the flu back in Feb and poor Trevor was so sick and weak with a fever of 104 that I want to avoid the risk of that this season. But it's not something I'm going to get for him consistently because I don't feel it's vital to maintain his overall health.
It just seems that if I express concern about a medication/treatment or reject a medication/treatment, I get pressured a lot by doctors and--maybe it's just me--but made to feel like I'm an unknowledgable or a neglectful mom.
I was in ICU stepdown for a week with the flu, and I was in my early 30's and healthy--the flu is not just an inconvenience type of illness.  I consider an annual flu shot to be one of those non-negotiable ones.  Especially working as I do, with the public.  

Chicken pox...it still has a significant mortality rate, especially amongst those who were unvaccinated as children, and who contract the disease as adults.  Both my kids had it in early childhood, and back in the day, there was no vaccine for it.  I'd probably get it if it had been available.  They were very sick, uncomfortable, wheezing, high fevers...it was not fun for them, or me.  

Peek, I don't think anyone is fighting at all. Is it ok if we discuss this here a little bit? I know that I've seen many things on this forum that didn't really pertain to the forum. At least mine had to do with my child and it is Maternal & Child here. I like it here because I seem to get more answers than on the Child Behavioral forum. I didn't realize there was a vaccine forum. I'm sure we'll behave on here though! :)
I did kind of want to talk to some other mothers with children my child's age.

AJ and Becca, I talked to the mom of the baby I watch and she said she doesn't let them give him that many shots at one time anymore. It happened once and he got feverish and fussy, etc. Now, she only lets them do 1 or 2 shots at a time and then takes him back later for the other ones. I wonder if that would be better? I don't understand either why they load them up with so many at one time. Poor kids. I just get what they tell me is required. I know he's going to need that for school and such.

AJ, my son got the chickenpox vaccine, too, when he was 2, I believe? This is a booster. But they did tell me that he won't need any more shots now until he's 11. So that's a relief.
If I had to do it over, I'd just space out the shots more and have them do just one or two at a time.
I'm not sure what to think about the flu mist. Last year was the first time I got it for my son and he got sick afterwards. When I mentioned that to the Immunization guy yesterday, he said it probably was just a bad batch! A bad batch? I don't know if I like the sound of that. So, I'm holding off on doing that this year. He's been so healthy. He's hardly ever sick. I just don't know what to think about it. And didn't they say that the flu vaccination could contain mercury? And that's what a lot of parents were concerned about with the Autism and such.

I want to protect him from all these horrible diseases, I just wish there was an easier way.
Peek, I guess we were writing at the same time. Do you think I should get the flu mist for him? I'm just reluctant since he got sick from it last year and with the mercury I heard that's in it and all. I just don't know. He's never had the flu. He's been pretty healthy. I just don't know what to think about it.
Oh, I just wanted people to know that there is another forum, in case they didn't know and wanted more info or something.

I don't think anyone is fighting at all!  I want to keep it that way!  Its a good discussion, with no "right" answer.

So, do you think I really need to give him the flu mist? What are your thoughts on that and what happened to him last year?
According to this:

http://www.medimmune.com/pdf/products/flumist_pi.pdf

Flumist is preservative free.  You might want to try the Ask A Pharmacist forum to see if it has mercury in it, but as thimersol is a preservative, and it says preservative-free, I don't think it has any.

I can't comment on whether you need to give it to him.  My frame of reference is different--I was a healthy adult who got the flu, and was in ICU stepdown for a week.  The flu can and does make healthy people very sick, and sometimes they die--even in this day and age.  I'd never go without one, but then again, I work with the intimately with the public and am probably exposed often.

I wish I knew what to tell you.  If you're sure that was what made him so sick last time, I'd be hesitant, too.

How is he now, btw?  Any better?
I just picked him up from preschool and he's doing a lot better! He's still acting very careful with his walking and sitting (they noticed that at preschool too) but he's better than this morning. I just felt so bad for him. It was so awful when they made me hold him down while they were giving the shots and I was looking right in to his face. Ugh! He got such a sad, scared look on his face. He didn't cry but that look about killed me! Thank goodness they said he's good now until he's 11. I don't do so well with these things!
I just refuse to let someone pressure me into something I dont believe in.  Every time we go for my DD check ups her doctor insist that she needs her vaccinations but I tell her "we are NOT doing that right now". When I was pregnant I had not thoughts what so ever about her getting vaccinated. Once she was born I still did not have anything against vaccines, however when she went in for her 2 month check up her pedi. told me she would be getting 5 shots that day. I started to think "whoa that is a lot of shots for a 10lbs baby" not so much of the vaccines itself but the amount of injections. So I told her we were not going to get any shots that day. At her 4 month check she was to get shots and I once again refused any shots because she had RSV, so then I decided to do some research on vaccines. Well the Autism scare is enough to make anyone not vaccinate their baby but it was more than that for me. Not all babies are the same, My DD has always been on the smaller side and I could not see giving my little baby all those chemicals and live or dead viruses. I dont have a clue what is in the vaccines and how will I know if my baby wont have a reaction to them. I dont that is why I dont vaccinate. Our bodies are designed by God and we have an immune system that is suppose to fight off infection. Now why would I want my little baby's body to fight off foreign chemicals and live or dead viruses that other wise she may never come in contact with? I dont want her to be pumped full of, mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde and other types of chemicals that could be harmful  to my baby. You see people stressing over whether to feed their babies cereal early or wait and so many moms are concerned about the amount of sugar their babies eat but they dont think twice about giving their small infant baby large quantities of  mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde. I am not wanting to start a debate but I just want to give my opinion. In most cases vaccines are fine but in some cases they are not. I mean do we REALLY know what is in our children's vaccines? Most people believe that "Doctors" really know what they are doing and that they are there to take care of people but most are just out to make a buck.
Peek- to answer your question, I may let her get vaccinated for somethings when she is older. I was a dental assistant and I know that I needed boosters for somethings to work. Vaccines are not bad per say but I dont think babies need to get all those chemicals when they are so little. They can get them when their bodies are more able to process all that stuff. And as far as the flu shot goes I have never and will never get the flu shot. My husband gets his every year and he still gets sick, I dont. Last year he got his and he still got the flu so I dont think it is helpful.

April2- I am glad he is starting to feel better:) I hope his little legs stop being sore. At least you dont have to do anymore shots until 11, I bet that is a big relief.
Yeah! :) He's a lot better. I probably should have just spaced out the shots more.
On a side note, aren't you scared of her getting some of these dreadful diseases, like Polio, if she's not protected from it? Some of these diseases are pretty bad and can kill.
I felt so bad when a family down the street from us lost their child to meningitis. It happened so quickly. He had a terrible headache and they took him in but they didn't check for meningitis. They just sent him back home and he was dead within 2 days. Last I heard the parents were trying to sue the hospital. I guess that's one of the new vaccines they've got now, to protect against meningitis.
I also thought that they said they don't put mercury in vaccines anymore? The only one I heard was iffy was the flu shot. But I'm not exactly sure about that, either.
I don't know. I think it'd scare me how vulnerable they could be to not be vaccinated. It's not an easy decision, I'm sure.
Like you said, at least I don't have to get any more shots for him until he's 11! And I don't think it's too many then. I think he's gotten the majority of them now.

I just got my teenage daughter that new shot to protect her from cervical cancer. Has anyone else had these shots? They talked me into it. I just want to do whatever I can to keep my kids safe from as many things as I can.
All I can do after that is trust God to take care of them when I can't.
She may get her shots when she goes to school but only some of them. I just feel like they can get vaccinated when they are older and their bodies can handle them better. I mean adult people get vaccinated every day for things they did not get vaccinated for when they were little, so why do babies need them as infants when their immune system is not even really functioning yet.
I heard that they are giving the gardisil vaccine to girls as young as 11! I dont know how old your daughter is but that sounds crazy to me. HPV diseases are the ones that come from sexual contact, and HPV is what they are vaccinating against. I HOPE most 11 year old girls are not sexually active and they would not need this vaccine. I think it would be better for to teach abstinence then to say, OK you are going to have sex so here is a vaccine to protect you from cervical cancer and other HPV diseases. I have heard lots of bad stuff about this vaccine as well. They were talking about it on the new show "Doctors" they said that millions of these vaccines were given ( I cant remember the exact amount) but only 9 thousand girls/ women had reactions from it and out of those 9 thousand only about 500 were serious reactions. Now while that does not sound TOO bad, I bet mothers of girls in the 500 category dont see this as a good thing because it was one of their daughters that had serious reactions. That is what really terrifies me, What if my DD had a fatal reaction to her shots or develops Autism or other behavioral problems? I could not forgive myself. And while she may get some terrible disease that I could possibly have prevented I dont think I would feel as guilty. I guess I will have to leave it up to GOD to protect DD from stuff that I cant.
If God will keep your child from dying from a disease that could have prevented by a vaccination, more power to you. Chances are you will not have to worry about it because folks like me put all those awful toxins in our children to help keep yours safe.

But then again, those previously absent diseases are coming back in staggering numbers. I sleep well at night knowing my boys are protected. Ask them all now if they remember their shots...I bet they will not. Ask your grandmother if she remembers polio...I bet she does.
My daughter is 16 and not sexually active. I did the shot to protect her when she becomes an adult and is sexually active.
I said DD will get some of her vaccines when she is OLDER. Right now I think she is too little for them (MY opinion). Andij78- you have the right to get your children vaccinated and I have the right not to if I so choose. If I felt that vaccines were SAFE enough then I would not think twice about getting her vaccinated. Even vaccines are not a 100% guarantee that a child will not contract a deadly disease that they have been vaccinated for.

As a mother I question myself and the decisions I make concerning my DD everyday. I can only pray that I am making the right ones. And I will have to live with it if I making wrong ones.