I was due to have an amnio at 37 wks. They wanted to induce due to medical problems. My water broke during the night so I did not have the amnio. My son was delivered by emergency c-section.
His lungs weren't completely developed. He only spent one day in NICU but it was scary. I know the idea of that needle is awful but it's nothing compared to seeing your baby hooked up to monitors, etc. Please have it done before they induce you early.
In my instance due to high blood pressure they were going to induce at 37 weeks but to do that the insurance requires an amnio to be done for anything 37 weeks and before to check for lung maturity. I know how odd is that.
Luckily we held off until 38 weeks and she was just fine.
Is an Amnio really needed for 37th week delivery? (Peek?)
Everything I've been reading says that the percentage rate of lungs being immature for a 37 week fetus is 1-2 percent, the same percentage as a baby born at 40 weeks.
My question is this. If that is the case, then why is an amnio needed to determine lung maturity? I'm petrified of having this test done, I'm not a fan of needles and would hate for the amnio to put me into early labor at 36 weeks...
Anyone else have babies at 37 weeks and have stories or information? Peek you see babies all the time, what is your opinion?
My mom has been in the neonatal icu for 30 years and the only thing she has kept telling me is make it to 37 weeks. She says 38 is even better but 37 is okay. I don't know much about the amnio but I will be 37 weeks on Friday and thats all my ob wants me to make it to also. They will be inducing next week if need be. She says there is a big difference between 36 and 37 especially in boys. Your having a girl though so I'm not sure. Did they give you a choice or is it neccessary?
If you are truly terrified, discuss this with your doctor and see if they'll let you forgo it.
The trouble is, its very, very easy to be a week off in your dates, even if you feel sure of them. At best, ultrasounds and measurements are only accurate to within a week. The problem lies in a 37 weeker actually being a bit less than that. Or a 36 weeker being a few days earlier.
Most babies born at 35-36 weeks do well, regardless. However, there can be respiratory issues that are bothersome and may prevent an early baby from coming hom with you, and can lead to interventions. There can also be issues with jaundice, feeding, and temperature control.
Most of the time, a 37 weeker will do just fine. The problem is, the doctor does not want to electively deliver you early and have a baby with a problem. Both of you want a fine, healthy baby.
But usually the amnio is done just a day or two before the delivery, so I'm not sure why he'd do one at 36 weeks and then wait til 37 weeks to deliver you?
Did I read that wrong?
What is the exact reason they are delivering you early?
my son was born at 37 weeks. it sounds odd to me for them to be so worried at this time. i was on bedrest at 31 weeks for preterm, so i had the shots to speed lung development. my son was great. my niece and nephew were born at 35-36 weeks they too were fine. i know that some wont be as well off but 37 weeks, seems a little over the top, but im not a dr. i hope all goes well, you are almost there!
Quinns, what type of insurance? I have HAP (Health Alliance Plan). Could that be the reason?
I haven't had a chance to ask too much and so far it is only "possible amnio" scheduled for Monday. Also I've heard that girls handle preterm better than boys, but I don't know if I want to base things on this baby being a little girl. *sigh* Totally terrified of this test.
You can also flatly refuse the amnio. They can't do it without your permission. As long as you are aware that a very small number of babies may not have acheived lung maturity and are accepting of that risk, you can always refuse it.
They are doing the possible test at 36 weeks, and not inducing at that point because my wedding will be less than 5 days away and we are trying to hold out till 37 weeks (which is 3 days after my wedding). It was really important to have the baby born after we were married even though we were engaged almost a year when I got pregnant.
They are delivering me early because of the heart rate issues (and something about needing a heart monitor on during the delivery because my bpm drops to 37-44). Because of the severe Veritigo I have which the doctor feels is a combination of the heart issue and pregnancy induced. And because I have Graves' Disease and apparently my body could start to attack the baby as a "Foreign substance" like it does itself at any time.
Well, the problem may arise that at 36 weeks, the test may not yet be mature. Then they'll have the dilemma of what to do next--will they do another one at 37 weeks?
I have seen babies who are not mature on amnio at 37 weeks. Its not at all common, but not unheard of.
If they are going to deliver you regardless due to your problems, my question to your doctor would be: Why do one at all? If he says your problems are this severe, why even do the amnio? They usually DON'T do them if delivery is medically indicated, because even if the results are immature, they still are forced to deliver b/c of the mothers condition.
For example if someone has say, severe pre-eclampsia and is only 34 weeks, they deliver regardless of maturity. Because you cannot wait for maturity. If your doctor feels your condition is so bad that you should be delivered a bit early, then the amnio would be unnecessary b/c they'll deliver you anyway.
See what I mean? Why do it, if you are going to be delivered regardless?
i delivered last week at 36 weeks exactly. my doctor never even discussed the possibility of an amnio, even when he suspected a few days prior that we would have to do the emergency c-section. although he did tell me that he thought the baby's lungs would be mature since my body being in distress was stressing her, and that when babies are stressed at that point, their lungs mature faster. her breathing was fine and she had no problems at birth.
Thank you for your honesty and knowledge, I'm really glad you responded, and no you didn't scare me at all. I'm pretty confidant but I don't want to be stupid either. I don't want to be a bad parent before this baby is born, I already struggle with making sure my other 2 are well cared for! lol as we all know we all will make mistakes, but this could be a big one and that isn't something I want to do without knowledge and someone who has experience.
I was induced at 37 weeks because of low amniotic fluid. DD's lungs were just fine. But like Peek mentioned, she had pretty bad jaundice and temp control issues. At 10 months now she's doing just great. Good luck.
My cousin had an amnio at 35 weeks because it was her second baby and she was RH neg, so they did one at 35 weeks and determined that he was good enough to be born... he was just fine! My DD was born at 36 weeks, my water broke one morning and she came- she was 7lbs and 5 ozs and very healthy, except that her blood sugar was low right at birth, but by 6 hours later, she was fine... so I have had good experiences, why do they want to do one, are you having problems with the pregnancy?
My son was delivered by c section at 37 weeks, I had (huge amounts of) excess amniotic fluid and baby was breech with his umbilical cord right near my cervix, they were afraid of prolapsed cord if my water broke and I was on bed rest in hospital. They did the amnio at 36 weeks and 5 days and it showed lung maturity. The amnio wasn't bad at all. He did have to spend a night in the special care baby unit though because he had fluid on his lungs, he was able to room in with me the next night.
Ih yes I forgot to add that Sams blood sugar was a bit low at birth so they gave him formula (tube fed at my insistance, not bottle) and he didn't even get to attempt to breastfeed until he was over 24 hours old, so it took a while for us to get the hang of it. He was also jaundiced but was fine after a couple of weeks.
i am now just 2 days shy of 38 weeks. i just had an amnio on thurs. to check for lung maturity and they were planning my c-secton for the next day. they got the results back a few hours later and my sons lungs are not yet ready. they want to repeat the test next week but i am not sure that i want to go throuhg the pain again. but they do monitor you and baby before and after doing the procedure so if any thing is to go wrong they would no. so i would say can your body handle waiting if so wait. cause no matter what the longer your baby is in the would the better it will be. i have 3 girls already all were born before 36 weeks. never had an amnio and there lung were all fine even my 30 weeker without steroids.but now they say at 37 weeks my son is not. so i would rather deal with the discomfort for an extra couple weeeks than try again cause it is painful.
I would NOT do it again! If he was not ready then you have a high chance of rupturing the membranes with amnio or going into labor and if he is not ready that will be bad! I would just wait till you go into labor or te full 40 weeks. The baby may not ahve implanted as early and be behind what you are thinking a few days and it really does matter, the few days!
There are to many complications with babies being taken to early and with unnessisary c-sections. VBACS are safer and carry next to none complications risks then having major sugery! IF you do have to have a c-section then studeis show that there is less risk of problems or imaturity if you wait till you go into labor first.
It is just not the pain for you but the risks to the baby to ahve an amnio!
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.