Maternal & Child Community
Is it O.K. to take Tylenol everyday?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is it O.K. to take Tylenol everyday?

Hi. I am currently 16w 5 days pregnant and I have been getting horrible headaches since about week 10. Before I was pregnant I did suffer from tension headaches which Excedrin helped. However, now that I am pregnant I get these headaches almost every otherday, if not everyday. They are unbearable and I have resorted to taking two Tylenol combined with a regular Coke every time I get them. Sometimes it works great, and other times it doesn't help at all. Is it safe to be taking Tylenol everyday? By the way, I have also tried ice packs and they don't seem to do a thing to help. Thank you. One more thing - will they go aways any time soon?
Hi. Headaches seem to get worse for some women during pregnancy.  I got horrible migraines before I was pregnant and then it only got worse, unbearably so.
Yes, tylenol is safe to take.  It's aspirin and ibuprofen (in the last trimester) that is not.
I found this "Studies have shown Tylenol to be safe for pregnant women and their unborn babies if taken properly. As long as you follow the dosage instructions that come with the medication, you can use Tylenol throughout your pregnancy and while nursing. Severe headaches should be reported to a doctor, as they could be associated with preclampsia, a very serious disease that can occur during pregnancy and causes high blood pressure."
I have been presscribed vicodin and percocet during this pregnancy because things were that bad.
I would talk to your dr though just to let them know what you're going through so they can watch your blood pressure.
The headacehes could get better though once you're farther along but no one can tell for sure.
Good luck and feel better.

i wouldnt take it every day, only because you're going to build up a tolerance to it, then it will work even less well. if the headache isnt too bad, try steam... a lot of pregnancy headaches seem to come from clogged sinuses. inhale over a pot of steaming water (keep it away from your belly!) - that might unclog things a bit. you can also get these vicks inhalers you drop into warm water.
Hi,  I too, suffered from tension headaches before my pregnancy and they got worse in the first trimester.  However, I did not take any Tylenol for it.  The headaches definitely subsided.  I also go to a chiroprictor twice a week so he readjusts my neck and back which is a life saver, I think.  I don't think I'd go through pregnancy with such little headache/backache if it wasn't for him.  I still get bach pains but not as bad as I probably would've without his help.  Try to look into chiro to adjust your neck, it might help.  Make sure they feel comfortable working with pregnant women.
I would ask your dr about them. Are they migraines maybe? My cousin had them and her dr gave her Tylenol 3 for them. But she also had migraines before her pregnancy.
If regular coke is helping you these might be migraines because caffeine is a capillary reducer and inflamed capiplaries cause migraines.  
Definitely talk to your dr.
I am 10 weeks along and have started to get headaches all the time also. I never had this with my DD and I am also taking tylenol but am scared to take it too much.
I have also tried benadryl and it seems to work..sinus problems have been bad this year in our area.
If you find any good cures let me know! As I will do the same!
I have been prescribed paracetamol, which is a UK version of tylenol, mine is for rib pain, I take two three times a day.
as mentioned earlier aspirin and ibuprofen are the ones to stay away from
hugs
xxx
Hi, I am on tylenol and tylenol #3 for back related pain.  I questioned my doctor about tylenol and he said there would be absolutely NO PROBLEM taking it everyday, just don't exceed the daily limit of 8 ).  IF you are still worried, you could call Mother's Risk hotline.  I hope that helps.  I don't have a phone #, I live in Canada, and I am not sure if you do too, but there is one in Toronto.
Thank you so much to everyone who answered my questions.  This forum is really a life saver.  I never suffered from migraines, so I don't think that is what these are.  They feel like the tension headaches I have always suffered from, just MUCH more frequently.  I do take the Tylenol every day that I get the headaches, but I only take two tablets (once a day).  I will keep my ob/gyn in the loop too.  In addition, I have an appointment with a chiroprator/massage therapist this afternoon!
i get real bad headaches alot also...migraines, tension headaches and the ones due to low sugar. i used to take excedrin migrain which worked wonders, but i was told that taking a headache medicine too much can cause rebound headaches, which is when your body gets so used to having a certain amount of the medicine in its system that when its not there it will "create" a headache...ive actually experienced these and they hurt so much more than 'regular' headaches...i used to 'pop a pill' everyday now i try to tough it out as long as i can, and i try different things...for example if i know i havent eaten recently i try to eat or drink something with some sugar in it, most times lately though, its been tension headaches ive been getting..and i have to twist my husbands arm to get him to give me a halfway decent neck massage...so we bought this vibrating massage thingy, so when i feel a headache i use that on my neck for an hour or so....

good luck, but i really suggest not taking the tylenol so much
i wonder if the baby asprins would help?  the st. joseph's stuff?  i have to take it all throughout my pregnancy everyday so i know its ok to take.  not sure if it would totally clear your headaches though.  just a thought................