Maternal & Child Community
Is it ok to drink Tea in pregancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Is it ok to drink Tea in pregancy?

I love Tea and now that I'm pregnant I craving it like crazy.  I know they say not to have caffiene when you are but is it ok really?  What does it do if I drink it.  Thank you.
I read that it's safe to drink 3 8oz cups, but not any more than that. I dink decaffinated tea and have been since dh  and i have been ttc. I can't tell the difference:D
Everyone including doctors will tell you to avoid caffeine when you are pregnant. I didn't. My child is perfect, but that does not mean that you should. Everyone is different and I would just advise that you cut back on your caffeine. I did cut back and I drank more water, but like I said I still drank caffeine. good luck to you
I love tea, I really started drinking it during my pregnancy. Some say to stay away from herbal teas, but my dr said it was fine. She told me to have "fun" with tea and try diffent kinds, she brought me in some raspberry zinger tea so good....and honey with chamomile...mmm....just drink it in moderation. You are allowed SOME caffene. If u dont eat or drink alot of other caffenated drinks you should be fine. Oh yeah....someone told me not to drink green tea when i was preggo, but again my dr said it was fine as long as nothing is added ie: ginseng....gl
Caffeine can lead to low birth weight and slowed fetal growth.  There are a lot of decaf tea choices though.  Raspberry Zinger is one of my favorites!  My OB (I'm 19 weeks) said absolutely no caffiene beverages because you still get caffeine from certain foods like chocolate, I'll drink decaf coffee so I don't have to forgo my chocolate any day!!!
I would avoid the caffiene if you could.  They say that can be a risk for a m/c.  I sometimes wonder if that is why I had a m/c 2 yrs ago.  I NEVER drink caffiene anymore because of my heart palpatations I get from it but 2 yrs ago I craved BBQ potato chips and a can of Pepsi (with Caffiene) and I had it EVERY morning on my 9:00 break when I was working.  I did miscarry that baby and later read that caffiene can highten your risk.  I could have kicked myself.  GOod Luck to you.
It like anything --moderation
I usually drink decaff I did any way so that was no biggy
Its when you over do it!
My doc said no coffee or tea - siad decaf was much worse for you due to chemicals.  Also said to avoid the herbals.  I  think every doc is different.  After my last miscarriage I didn't take any chances.  Also my doc said I had to give up the caffeine before I got preggers.
Caffeine in moderation is okay, I wouldn't drink 3 cups a day (tea has more caffeine than coffee) and the biggest problem with herbal stuff is that it isn't FDA screened. So it may say one thing, but contain something else.

I would think that some of the bigger tea companies like Bigalow (sp) are FDA controlled, so you should be able ot trust what is on the label, same with Stash. Do some reading though, there are ingredients, even in the major names, that are contraindicated in pregnancy. Babycenter.com has a list of herbs to avoid while pg and the reason.

Andi

This post is one I would probably start too! I am a tea drinker.  Orange pekoe. I stopped drinking coffee 3 years ago due to it givinig me heart burn and stomach problems.  

Anyways, I am ttc and I have tried to cut back my tea intake to one cup a day.  I usually have it on my drive in to work.  I don't have it at night anymore as I usually did.  I am not a herbal tea fan so I hope that I won't have to nix the tea completely once I am pregnant.

I think I would consult your own doctor about whether or not you should drink tea, there seem to be a lot of mixed ideas on this one!

Take care and good luck in your pregnancy!
I am also a huge sweet tea drinker....I switched to a decaf tea (luzianne) the problem I had was the caffiene headaches!
My doctor said it was ok in moderation.  I drink sweet tea (I am from the South) and I wanted it more during my pregnancy.  But like with everything else, drink it in moderation.
I just spoke with a birthing center nurse and she said it was ok to drink iced tea as long as you put the sugar in it and doubled up on water.